Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Burglar accidentally calls police

Eldorado

Staffordshire police confirmed they arrested a 49-year-old and a 42-year-old after receiving a call from one of them, who appeared to have unwittingly sat on his phone.

Full story at the Guardian via MSN: Link

• Haha 5

Why did The Guardian article call it a 911 call, it was a 999 call.  I thought the Guardian was a UK news source.  

16 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Why did The Guardian article call it a 911 call, it was a 999 call.  I thought the Guardian was a UK news source.  

From the article.....

In 2013, a pair who were breaking into a car in Fresno, California, managed to call police on themselves.

The call handler on duty was able to track them down as Nathan Teklemariam and Carson Rinehart spent about half an hour discussing their plans. The pair were eventually arrested.

“This stuff just doesn’t happen – where a crime is captured from beginning to end,” Sgt Jaime Rios told Today. “The 911 call was still open at the time of the arrests, and the officer took the phone and ended the call himself.”

UK Guardian

• Like 1

Just now, Eldorado said:

From the article.....

In 2013, a pair who were breaking into a car in Fresno, California, managed to call police on themselves.

The call handler on duty was able to track them down as Nathan Teklemariam and Carson Rinehart spent about half an hour discussing their plans. The pair were eventually arrested.

“This stuff just doesn’t happen – where a crime is captured from beginning to end,” Sgt Jaime Rios told Today. “The 911 call was still open at the time of the arrests, and the officer took the phone and ended the call himself.”

UK Guardian

Ok.  I just skimmed it and thought they were still talking about the burglars

Who owns a phone that can dial out unintentionally these days?  Mine has facial recognition so I suppose if I sat on it.....My ass, my face, what's the difference?

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Who owns a phone that can dial out unintentionally these days?  Mine has facial recognition so I suppose if I sat on it.....My ass, my face, what's the difference?

My iPhone does occassionally, but never to a number I haven't dialed.   Those facial recognition phones are new and expensive,

16 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

My iPhone does occassionally, but never to a number I haven't dialed.   Those facial recognition phones are new and expensive,

Don't you have a passcode set on it?

Thats why we have smart phones....

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Don't you have a passcode set on it?

Yes, but I have put my phone in my purse without closing it and it has called people, not the last person I called, seemed to be random.   And the few times it happened I did not have the phone app open, it was on the main screen.  Some kind of glitch.  I don't know what kind of smart phone my brother has but once he set it on the charger and went to bed and it called me a few hours later.   I thought he probably has a samsung since he said it does that a lot, random calling people he hasn't talked to in a while.

Edited by Desertrat56

15 hours ago, acute said:

The Police in the UK don't respond to accidental or silent calls anymore.

Apparently that call wasn't silent.  LOL

On 1/7/2021 at 12:28 PM, OverSword said:

As I recall, it's mandatory that a phone can call emergency services while locked and even without a plan. In fact, I just looked at my Note 10+ and there's an "emergency" button right there on the lock screen that'll bypass the security settings for the call. So, this guy must've not turned his screen off. Or, since he's a thief, may be using an older phone that's less trackable... until you call emergency and it turns on the GPS.

There's a trail here. They're burglars cause they don't have jobs and they don't have jobs cause they are quite obviously f'in morons. Clouseau-esque morons.