Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Grabber.

sykanie83

3 hours ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Here in the US, we call that the tank. The cistern is the big concrete thing buried in the backyard when you don't access to a city sewage system. I personally have never seen cogs and gears in the tank of a toilet. It's always just some variation of a float and a valve that flushes the bowl. 

Where I am from in the U.S. in rural areas the cistern is where you hold your water to the house and the septic tank is where the sewage goes.  I think what @Susanc241 was saying is that children imagine things differently than they are sometimes.  

• Like 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

Where I am from in the U.S. in rural areas the cistern is where you hold your water to the house and the septic tank is where the sewage goes.  I think what @Susanc241 was saying is that children imagine things differently than they are sometimes.  

Haha, you're right! I misspoke on that one. I lived in one house that had a cistern when I was a kid. I haven't seen one in a very long time. Septic Tank was what I should have said, that is what I was referring to. Thanks for the correction. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Here in the US, we call that the tank. The cistern is the big concrete thing buried in the backyard when you don't access to a city sewage system. I personally have never seen cogs and gears in the tank of a toilet. It's always just some variation of a float and a valve that flushes the bowl. 

And what you call the cistern we call a septic tank! A tank here is the container that holds cold mains water in the loft of a house to service a central heating system (old style) and usually fed all the cold taps (faucets) in the house except the one in the kitchen, which was always straight off the mains supply and the only one you drank from.  Nowadays most gas boilers (furnaces) don’t need a reservoir tank to feed the hot water tank and they heat water on demand.  
And I know I could ever have seen cogs and wheels - just my child’s imagination running riot.

oops, sorry, didn’t read one of the explanatory posts.  Doubling up.  My bad!

Edited by Susanc241
Add last sentence