Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Book store closes due to protests

Dreamer screamer

Powell’s Books has announced that the iconic Portland bookstore will not place the book “Unmasked” by conservative writer Andy Ngo on its shelves following a backlash.

KOIN reported that despite Powell’s decision to keep the anti-antifa book off its shelves, a small crowd of protesters gathered outside the store’s flagship location downtown on Monday, plastering the windows with signs and prompting the store to close early as a safety precaution.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/northwest/powells-books-says-andy-ngos-book-will-not-be-in-store/

Edited by Saru
Replaced political bait article with more accurate source

25 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

*snip*

That picture is not representative of the citizens that protested, wether their behaviour is considered acceptable or not.

Are you suggesting to mask free speech? 

The bookstore isn't even stocking it to be burned. It's only going to be available online. They stated they sell many books that they find abhorrent, but they aren't judging. Perhaps you could take a leaf from their book?

Edited by Saru
Removed quote of old misleading source that I have since replaced

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

so book burning begins

When the lefties burn the bibles and then get arrested for it, oh the irony!!

6 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Book burning, the staple of the totalitarian.

To burn a book for heat is OK to burn a book because you don't like its content is wrong.

Like I said.

The OP is misleading. No books were actually burned. 

And it was a small group of Antifa supporters. Not government. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Like I said.

The OP is misleading. No books were actually burned. 

And it was a small group of Antifa supporters. Not government. 

That is where you are going wrong!!    You need to understand the connection with government and antifa, what connects them??

Just now, Dreamer screamer said:

That is where you are going wrong!!    You need to understand the connection with government and antifa, what connects them??

You?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I know it was (the ironically named) Antifa and the book was as good as burned by being banned from that store. Antifa don't like Andy because he has written pieces against them and when they beat him up he went for prosecution. These people are just another form of brown shirt.

Precisely!!    Working for the governments.     They just cleverly done a switcheroo.

12 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I know it was (the ironically named) Antifa and the book was as good as burned by being banned from that store. Antifa don't like Andy because he has written pieces against them and when they beat him up he went for prosecution. These people are just another form of brown shirt.

They refuse to ban it. 

They state in the article it was only ever going to be available online, and it still will be, even though they find it abhorrent themselves. 

From the OPs link.

The owners were forced to evacuate employees and customers out the back door. Later that day, the store announced it would not be putting the book on the shelves, but that it would remain in its online catalogue, along with many books that Powell's itself deems “abhorrent.”

Or the full statement as shown in this link 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oregonlive.com/books/2021/01/powells-responds-to-protests-over-right-wing-agitator-andy-ngos-book-we-carry-a-lot-of-books-we-find-abhorrent.html%3foutputType=amp

“That said,” the statement continued, “it will remain in our online catalog. We carry a lot of books we find abhorrent, as well as those that we treasure. We believe it is the work of bookselling to do so.”

Edited by psyche101
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

:no:

I mean your imagination. Not you personally as a go between or anything. 

Unfortunately it appears as though I didn't get to this quickly enough - I did change the source article in the OP to better represent the story, but the original "book burning" source and title - which is complete nonsense because the store isn't even stocking physical copies of the book to burn - seems to have remained the subject of the majority of the replies.

This is a prime example of how using misleading sources and headlines for a story can lead people to believe something that isn't true.

Under the circumstances, there's little point keeping this going.

Closed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• The topic was locked