Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tesla car detects a ghost?

Eldorado

Social media users were left agape after seeing a creepy video showing a Tesla driver monitoring system detecting what many users called a ghost.

The footage begins with the driver moving near a cemetery, where there is not a living soul (pun intended).

However, the driver monitoring system showed that there was a person to the right… who was moving.

The "ghost" continued to appear on the screen as the car slowly moved forward.

Full monty at Sputnik: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Haha 4

I don't know anything about the tec, as in how the sensor system works. But that looks like a glitch rather than a ghost. 

• Like 4

So, basically..... Malevolent and/or extremely bored spirits could materialize in front of a self-driving car, and bring it to a screeching halt!

Why wasn't this considered when the cars were in development? :hmm:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, rashore said:

I don't know anything about the tec, as in how the sensor system works. But that looks like a glitch rather than a ghost. 

Not to mention the user did not move the camera to the spot the "person" was detected until after it disappeared from the screen.

• Like 1

I believe in ghosts so it is a possibility that it is a ghost. The detection system may be more sensitive than the naked eye. I have seen equipment used by ghost investigators that seem to capture entities we can't see. I believe we have seen photographs pick up ghosts not seen by the naked eye. Can't say it isn't a 'normal' software glitch either. But such a glaring obvious error at this stage of the software's life cycle does seem odd. This was a pretty straightforward looking scene to the naked eye.

Related thought: I just can't imagine these things being allowed to drive alone on real streets! 'I Brake For Ghosts' may not be so humorous when it causes a real accident.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Confused 1

Anytime you think there could be a computer glitch, it's very safe to assume it was exactly that. They happen constantly. Self driving software is nowhere near perfect and it hopefully errors on the side of sensing a person rather than NOT seeing a person.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

Dug around a bit... it seems to be a glitch, and a known one amongst Tesla owners. Car cameras picking up stuff and/or artifacts showing up... 

From 2016: Is Tesla’s Autopilot Seeing Ghosts?: https://www.thedrive.com/news/4670/is-teslas-autopilot-seeing-ghosts

From 2019: Tesla Autopilot Errors or Ghosts: https://agassitesla.yungacraft.com/2019/02/16/tesla-cameras-ghosts-or-machine-learning-errors/

And from the Tesla forums of folks discussing this problem... 

From 2019: Sixth Sense - My car sees dead people: https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/162917/sixth-sense-my-car-sees-dead-people

From 2019: Ghost avoidance?: https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/163070/ghost-avoidance

Seems like the cars not only see human ghosts, but also car and bicycle ghosts. Which leaves me torn about the OP video- either the Tesla owner is unaware of these sorts of glitches and didn't bother looking it up... or they know about the glitching and filmed one for entertainment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I have been using Otto pilot for years and never had this problem I just sit in the back seat and Otto takes me anywhere I want to go although I do have problems with his accent at times.

jmccr8

• Haha 6

On 1/13/2021 at 11:46 PM, Eldorado said:
Social media users were left agape after seeing a creepy video showing a Tesla driver monitoring system detecting what many users called a ghost.

The footage begins with the driver moving near a cemetery, where there is not a living soul (pun intended).

However, the driver monitoring system showed that there was a person to the right… who was moving.

The "ghost" continued to appear on the screen as the car slowly moved forward.

Full monty at Sputnik: Link

I have this all figured out.  The cemetery still has random pokemons left roaming the area from when Pokemon Go was big.  It's not a ghost, it's yet another Pidgie.

• Haha 1