Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yellow mealworm safe for humans to eat

Still Waters

Yellow mealworm finger foods, smoothies, biscuits, pasta and burgers could soon be mass produced across Europe after the insect became the first to be found safe for human consumption by the EU food safety agency.

The delicacies may not be advisable for everyone, however. Those with prawn and dustmite allergies are likely to suffer a reaction to the Tenebrio molitor larvae, whether eaten in powder form as part of a recipe or as a crunchy snack, perhaps dipped in chocolate.

The conclusion of scientists at the EU food safety agency, following an application by France’s first insect-for-food production company, Micronutris, is expected to lead to EU-wide approval within months of yellow mealworm as a product fit for supermarket shelves and kitchen pantries across the continent.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/13/yellow-mealworm-safe-for-humans-to-eat-says-eu-food-safety-agency

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

They won't be on my shopping list.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

No, thanks. I'd rather take a burger from McDonald's.

Yuck!!  But I concur. There are other sources of protein way above insects on my list of sources.

• Like 3

Ah, You wimps! It's sustainable proteins gained from useless carbs. And as long as the taste is good, who cares? I welcome it!

• Like 1

I predict insects will be the next health food craze once some studies come all talking about unique antioxidant properties or something :lol:

• Like 1

That insect-for-food thing pops up regular, its a kind of hype but with no effect to the food market. Anyway, a clear no from my side. And I dont care Bear Grylls saying "it taste like chicken" because I will never eat creatures who eat poop.

• Like 1

i haven't tried yellow mealworms yet but i did try dried ones that you feed to birds and iv'e just finished a tub of dried Crickets which i have to say are really tasty 

They're not terrible but I think it'll be a long time before it is widely accepted lol

They're now isolating the protein from insects and making protein powder; in this company's case, crickets. It tastes as terrible as you'd imagine it to taste. 

I'm passing on this one. No thanks.

• Like 1

When hunting Turkeys (maybe only where I live?) you never shoot and eat one during the warmer months due to their taste when eating the summer crickets. Their diet of crickets makes the meat taste funky. So why are we skipping the Turkey and going straight to the funky tasting crickets??