Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flint Water Crisis will see charges pressed

Eldorado

The water crisis that put Flint in the national spotlight years ago has taken a new turn with expected criminal charges against the state’s top leader at the time, Gov. Rick Snyder.

It’s been nearly seven years since the public health scandal rocked the working-class city, leading to thousands lining up for bottled water and the later mass replacement of lead and galvanized steel service lines.

The Associated Press reported Tuesday, Jan. 12 that Snyder and others have been contacted by state prosecutors and told to expect indictments.

Full monty at Michigan Live: Link

The Flint water crisis is an ongoing public health crisis that started in 2014, after the drinking water source for the city of Flint, Michigan, was contaminated with lead.

In April 2014, Flint changed its water source from treated Detroit Water and Sewerage Department water (sourced from Lake Huron and the Detroit River) to the Flint River.

Officials failed to apply corrosion inhibitors to the water. As a result, lead from aging pipes leached into the water supply, leading to extremely elevated levels of the heavy metal neurotoxin and exposing over 100,000 residents to elevated lead levels.

A pair of scientific studies proved that lead contamination was present in the water supply.

Wikipedia

• Like 3

Why has it taken so long to press charges?

Oh, I see the charges are being refiled.

Edited by Desertrat56

1 hour ago, susieice said:

The water has now been deemed safe for consumption but a lot of people still won't trust it.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/01/13/trump-impeached-for-second-time-by-house-after-u-s-capitol-siege/

I don't trust Albuquerque's water or any tap water.  I lived in Midland, Tx in the 80's and my cat almost died because he drank tap water.  I used Reverse osmosis for the kids and myself.  After the cat got sick I gave the dog and the cat the same water we drink.    Also, in Franklin, Va when I lived there in the late 70's the water was not safe.  If you put a glass of water on the counter for 2 minutes a silver scum would form on top.     Albuquerque reports annually on their water quality but I still only use filtered water for drinking and cooking.  

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't drink very much water.  It stinks from all the chemicals they add to it. I have a pitcher that filters also. A lot of people here use bottled for drinking.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, susieice said:

I don't drink very much water.  It stinks from all the chemicals they add to it. I have a pitcher that filters also. A lot of people here use bottled for drinking.

Yeah, I have good non bpa plastic bottles that I used to go to an RO machine and fill but now I filter with a brita filter first (carbon filter), then I put the water through another 5 part filter and keep spare gallon bottles, but the tank to the big filter contraption holds 4 gallons.   One of my anxieties is not having water available.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1