Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do Trump Supporters Need Deprogramming?

OverSword

Eugene Robinson told the New York Times Magazine's Nikole Hannah-Jones that there is a need to “deprogram” supporters of President Trump following last week’s siege of the U.S. Capitol.

“There are millions of Americans, almost all white, almost all Republicans, who somehow need to be deprogrammed,” Robinson said during an appearance on MSNBC. “It’s as if they are members of a cult, the Trumpist cult, and have to be deprogrammed.”

Washington Post

Edited by Saru
Reduced quoted text length
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Deprogramming sounds way too 1984 for me. The hopeful have already jumped ship; meanwhile, the hopeless shall remain hopeless. The only president I've lost friends over. If there are folks who still believe his actions and words are those befitting of a world leader, I don't have much to say to them. 

I don't disagree with this. I had a woman tell me and my daughter that she wants another attack on the capital but she wants to see Pelosi dragged out and shot in the face on television. It was like she was so riled up...at 7am...she HAD to let somebody know her opinion right away. Even if it was a stranger.

I will end the post fairly and say that there are democrats that also could use deprogramming but they're not as easy to spot because they don't wear red hats or have 10 bumper stickers and flags hanging off of their cars/trucks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Not sure if it was the same person,but the guy i read about was saying trump supporters children should be taken away and put in re- education centers.also he suggested that any person that attended any of his rallies should be 'scrubbed,'...sounds like he has some kind of solution.i wonder where he got these ideas from.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

Deprogramming sounds way too 1984 for me. The hopeful have already jumped ship; meanwhile, the hopeless shall remain hopeless. The only president I've lost friends over. If there are folks who still believe his actions and words are those befitting of a world leader, I don't have much to say to them. 

Sounds more like 1939 to me.

• Like 1

I said the only fix for them is to be deprogrammed in a post last week, so yeah. And it's not half the US, it's only the die-hard TRump supporters. He loses regular repub votes daily. No idea what % of the US is in the TRump cult, but I suspect it's less than most people think. They just bray the loudest and appear more numerous.

If they try some armed BS takeover, they are going to find out real quick it won't end well for them. They don't have the numbers.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

Not yet. Beer Hall putsch was in 1923 and it was unsuccessful too. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Not yet. Beer Hall putsch was in 1923 and it was unsuccessful too. 

So trump was the beer hall putsch and America has worse to come down the road as far as dictators go you predict?

Edited by OverSword

2 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

5 posts before somebody compared something to hitler....go figure...

Nothing if not predictable eh?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, moonman said:

I said the only fix for them is to be deprogrammed in a post last week, so yeah. And it's not half the US, it's only the die-hard TRump supporters. He loses regular repub votes daily. No idea what % of the US is in the TRump cult, but I suspect it's less than most people think. They just bray the loudest and appear more numerous.

Trump wins title of Americans’ most admired man in annual survey

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/29/trump-gallup-most-admired-452126

Biden won 81,283,098 votes, or 51.3 percent of the votes cast. He is the first U.S. presidential candidate to have won more than 80 million votes. Trump won 74,222,958 votes, or 46.8 percent of the votes cast. That’s more votes than any other presidential candidate has ever won, with the exception of Biden.

https://www.cfr.org/blog/2020-election-numbers

Edited by Eldorado
  • Haha 3

Just now, OverSword said:

So trump was the beer hall putsch and America has worse to come down the road as far as dictators go?

It was Trump's putsch, irrational and unsupported by the segments of society you absolutely need for a successful putsch, and thus failed, so yeah, I see parallel with Beer Hall putsch. 

But I don't think you've got worse to come. Firstly, Trump's no Hitler - it's not meant as a compliment to either of those two - and secondly, there's truckfull of factors that are not at all alike. Fortunately. 

The true believers, yeah, they need deprogramming. Their problem is psychiatric, not political. I mean, have you seen Trump? Who in their right mind could bow to that?  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

Trump wins title of Americans’ most admired man in annual survey

Link :w00t:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

Yep with some electroshocks therapy ! :D

Electroconvulsive Therapy: A History of Controversy, but Also of Help -  Scientific American

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, moonman said:

He got 18%, so I guess 18% of the US needs deprogramming. Thanks for proving my point.

74,222,958 Americans voted for him.

They're all redneck racist retards?

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

74,222,958 Americans voted for him.

They're all redneck racist retards?

Anybody who names him their "most admired person" has some serious mental issues. Just because they voted for him doesn't mean they call him their "most admired". Voting republican doesn't automatically make them...what you said.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, moonman said:

You said it, not me. Anybody who names him their "most admired person" has some serious mental issues.

You've just shown me who the retard is.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

You've just shown me who the retard is.

I edited what I said for clarity before you replied. Read it again. Voting republican isn't the same as voting him "most admired". Get it? You don't know the difference between 18% and near 50% and you call ME mentally deficient?:lol:

And maybe get an ounce of class and stop using the r-word - it's not acceptable in this day and age. Would you like to throw the n-word out there while you're at it?

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

What sort of authoritarian thinks its ok to propose ideas like this? Would Republicans ever propose this to deal with Antifa or BLM?

But I don't think we have to worry about deprogramming as the link in the OP stated:

Asked by Robinson how the country could go about deprogramming Trump supporters, Hannah-Jones said that history shows people need to face consequences for their actions.

“I know we can look to history,” Hannah-Jones said. “What ultimately breaks that power structure in the South is enforcement, right? There has to be consequences. And then once you get those consequences … people have to take a second look at their actions.”

So, no plan, just more division. You know what would bring unity? A review of this election in an open and transparent setting, maybe at the SCOTUS? Then everyone can see for themselves the issues (or lack thereof) and we can all be on the same page. At the moment, left and right are reading different books, let alone the same page

• The topic was locked