Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tower of London's Queen Raven is missing

Eldorado

The Tower of London's Queen Raven, Merlina, is missing and feared dead, according to staff at the historic site.

Known by her keeper as the "undisputed ruler of the roost" Merlina hasn't been seen at the Tower for several weeks.

Merlina's disappearance means there are now seven ravens here at the Tower just one more than the required six.

Legend states at least six ravens must be kept at the 11th Century fortress or the kingdom of Britain will fall.

Full monty at ITV news: Link

Ravens of the Tower of London; Wikipedia

Edited by Eldorado
  • Sad 3

Legend states at least six ravens must be kept at the 11th Century fortress or the kingdom of Britain will fall.

I can just see the queen with her shotgun shooting it.  :lol:

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

The Tower of London's Queen Raven, Merlina, is missing and feared dead, according to staff at the historic site.

Known by her keeper as the "undisputed ruler of the roost" Merlina hasn't been seen at the Tower for several weeks.

Merlina's disappearance means there are now seven ravens here at the Tower just one more than the required six.

Full monty at ITV news: Link

Ravens of the Tower of London; Wikipedia

What a load of hocus pocus for this day and age! And expensive too. Not only that, but ravens as soldiers is b***$h*t.

• Haha 1

These days they all part of the show if you visit the Tower, along with the Beefeaters and the Crown Jewels.  I doubt anyone these days believes the superstition about the country falling if the ravens go.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2021 at 1:30 PM, Ozymandias said:

What a load of hocus pocus for this day and age! And expensive too. Not only that, but ravens as soldiers is b***$h*t.

So leprechauns have no place in Irish Mythology?

There is NO cost to the Treasury so why are you even moaning?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keithisco said:

So leprechauns have no place in Irish Mythology?

There is NO cost to the Treasury so why are you even moaning?

Moaning!? I'm not moaning. Children believe in leprechauns, tooth fairies and Harry Potter! But what about members of the British government and the keepers of the Tower of London? I am pointing out how ridiculous it is that a silly legend is the motivation for a costly breeding programme to maintain the numbers of ravens at the Tower above six, and the equally ludicrous notion that these ravens are considered to be soldiers!! 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Moaning!? I'm not moaning. Children believe in leprechauns, tooth fairies and Harry Potter! But what about members of the British government and the keepers of the Tower of London? I am pointing out how ridiculous it is that a silly legend is the motivation for a costly breeding programme to maintain the numbers of ravens at the Tower above six, and the equally ludicrous notion that these ravens are considered to be soldiers!! 

Still NO cost to the Treasury. Doesnt cost me 1 penny. "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy". Hamlet

• Like 1

You seem wilfully intent on ignoring the whole point of my posts in order tilt at windmills. I do not know why you are so hung up on the cost to you or the treasury. I could not care less who has to pay for it. The fact is that money is spent - by whom and with whose money does not matter at all - on an expensive breeding programme to ensure that the number of captive ravens at the Tower never falls below six. Their wings are clipped to ensure they can never leave the precinct of the Tower. Why? Because of a legend!!!

Moreover, legends are one thing! But what about the ridiculous notion that imprisoned birds are enlisted into the British armed forces as soldiers of the kingdom and can be dismissed from the service from the service as was the case with the raven George.  

1 hour ago, keithisco said:

Still NO cost to the Treasury. Doesnt cost me 1 penny. "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy". Hamlet

Well, of course, there are. This is so obvious it hardly needs stating. But what is your point? Is it that the British government and the people who run the Tower are in thrall to a silly legend? Or is it that, if they are not in thrall to it, they pander to it as if they were? Or is it that we should not be surprised that adults in Britain are silly enough to indulge this kind of nonsense? Maybe you could tell me?  

• Haha 1

I like this typical British tradition, and I don't give a flying fk about it being silly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/14/2021 at 1:30 PM, Ozymandias said:

...your first post decries the "cost". You are seriously beginning to sound like a "Cancel Culture" supporter. The Mythos around the Ravens is not even within your own country's canon of folk-lore so why do you even care?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keithisco said:

...your first post decries the "cost".

It does, but only as an afterthought. My main point has always been about the justification in the modern scientific age of keeping birds unnaturally imprisoned because of a legend. This is superstition. I mean, it is not just lip-service that is being paid here - we can all do that, tongue-in-cheek - but a whole programme involving captivity, breeding and wing-clipping has been established by people in authority to ensure there are always more than six birds in the Tower precinct.  What I said in my first post was:

Whatever about officialdom pandering to superstition, my other issue is with according these birds the status of soldiers! And as I pointed out, the raven George was dismissed from service at the Tower for unsatisfactory conduct! Are we in the real world here.  

The Mythos around the Ravens is not even within your own country's canon of folk-lore so why do you even care?

Yes, it is. In Irish mythology the raven's association with fate, war, death and the otherworld is well-known. At the very moment our most iconic mythological hero, Cuchulainn, died, the war-goddess Morrígan, in the form of a raven,image.gif.709ab63a74ffb81d19c432f032773188.gif landed on his shoulder. If officials in my country set up a programme chasing crocks of gold at the end of every rainbow, I would be just as scathing. It's ridiculous.

on-the-1916-trail-the-general-post-office-L-yD4VjM.jpeg 

You are seriously beginning to sound like a "Cancel Culture" supporter.

What in God's name is that!? I am old school, so not an aficionado of social media. Having looked it up, I cannot see the relevance.

The Mythos around the Ravens is not even within your own country's canon of folk-lore so why do you even care?

UM is an international forum open to all comers who wish to express themselves on any subject they wish. Within reason we believe in freedom of speech. Are you saying I have no right to comment on topics in this forum? 

Edited by Ozymandias

5 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

It does, but only as an afterthought. My main point has always been about the justification in the modern scientific age of keeping birds unnaturally imprisoned because of a legend. This is superstition. I mean, it is not just lip-service that is being paid here - we can all do that, tongue-in-cheek - but a whole programme involving captivity, breeding and wing-clipping has been established by people in authority to ensure there are always more than six birds in the Tower precinct.  What I said in my first post was:

Whatever about officialdom pandering to superstition, my other issue is with according these birds the status of soldiers! And as I pointed out, the raven George was dismissed from service at the Tower for unsatisfactory conduct! Are we in the real world here.  

Yes, it is. In Irish mythology the raven's association with fate, war, death and the otherworld is well-known. At the very moment our most iconic mythological hero, Cuchulainn, died, the war-goddess Morrígan, in the form of a raven,image.gif.709ab63a74ffb81d19c432f032773188.gif landed on his shoulder. If officials in my country set up a programme chasing crocks of gold at the end of every rainbow, I would be just as scathing. It's ridiculous.

on-the-1916-trail-the-general-post-office-L-yD4VjM.jpeg 

What in God's name is that!? I am old school, so not an aficionado of social media. Having looked it up, I cannot see the relevance.

UM is an international forum open to all comers who wish to express themselves on any subject they wish. Within reason we believe in freedom of speech. Are you saying I have no right to comment on topics in this forum? 

You know I am not,  so why continue???

You are just being argumentative and I am not prepared to continue this nonsense. Do not expect any further comment from me

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2021 at 5:30 AM, Ozymandias said:

You know, sometimes it pays to believe in a little magic.

On 1/14/2021 at 10:48 AM, Eldorado said:

Tower of London's Queen Raven is missing.

Phil The Greek pulled out of a driveway in his Range Rover and flattened it.

Then, he blamed the raven!

• Haha 1