Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man's plea to find hard drive in landfill

Still Waters

A man who threw away a laptop hard drive containing bitcoin he believes is now worth about £210m wants his council to let him search for it in landfill.

James Howells had 7,500 bitcoins, a virtual currency, on the hard drive, which he mistakenly threw away in 2013.

He said he was willing to donate 25% of the value of the bitcoins to his home city of Newport in south Wales - about £52.5m - if he found the hard drive.

Newport council said excavation was not possible under its licensing permit.

Mr Howells said if he was to recover the hard drive, he would want the money to be put into a "Covid relief fund" for people in Newport to use "no questions asked".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55658942

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

https://www.52-insights.com/news/why-the-klf-burnt-1-million-pounds-in-1994/

They could claim that money back from the bank if they wanted too at the time.  

So £210 bitcoin digital currency?? if you can't claim it back, then it's lost forever and who keeps that digital currency?  Or is it gone for good?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

Or is it gone for good?

It was never anywhere in the first place... 

~

2 hours ago, third_eye said:

It was never anywhere in the first place... 

~

Precisely.  energy for energy.

Edited by Dreamer screamer

I have a 10yo laptop i did shows with and it's kept safe and comfortable, i expect that hhd to give up at any time how,

i would have my doubts even in the laptop a hard drive could last in a landfill very long at all,

• 1 year later...

He hasn't given up.

Almost 10 years ago James Howells threw away a hard drive during a clear out - forgetting about the Bitcoin on it.

Now, with the Bitcoin worth an estimated £150m ($184m), he is planning to spend millions digging up a Newport landfill in a bid to find the lost hard drive.

If recovered Mr Howells said he would give 10% of the proceeds to turn the city into a crypto-currency hub.

But the council said excavating the site would pose an ecological risk.

Among his other plans are proposals to give £50 worth of Bitcoin to every person in the city and install crypto-based terminals in all shops.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62381682