Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Charlatan in us all...

Sherapy

11 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, I am a mom and I tried to teach  my kids to question anything they felt they did not understand or seemed off.   Mainly because of the indoctrination that you mention.  It was more a societal thing than a religious thing.  Females opinions have less weight.   

I am not afraid of snakes, I am afraid of a few kinds of snakes but we had snakes as pets among other critters and if you understand them there is no reason to fear them, though I recognize a lot of people don't have the experience I have but even so, I am not so sure it is a primal fear, but rather a taught fear.   Just like the fear of spiders, if you are taught to identify what type of spider you are looking at it eliminates a lot of fear.   

Same, in my house ones voice and questions mattered immensely. My kids are some of my greatest teachers.

I think there are taught fears and natural fears. I can always be wrong and if I am I am sure a poster will not hesitate to point out my error, which I welcome. Lol

I also love the connection you made with the book, mindsets, my add to and “oh how we cling to our mindsets as a reality.”

And how difficult it is to let go of them. 

Your thoughts?

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

Thank you to all the participants, I truly am humbled by all your contributions. I didn’t think the thread would take off. :blush:

How fun.:wub:

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Thank you to all the participants, I truly am humbled by all your contributions. I didn’t think the thread would take off. :blush:

I'm just happy to have an interesting thread on UM that isn't politics related :lol: lol

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm just happy to have an interesting thread on UM that isn't politics related :lol: lol

Lol, the collaboration on this thread had the avoidance of politics in mind. :D

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sherapy said:

What do you see in each picture?

Let’s explore the many ways we fool ourselves.

There are no right or wrong answers just an opportunity to join together on a journey.

All thoughts are welcome.

A special thanks to @Desertrat56 and @eight bits @HalfAnIdiotfor your feedback and ideas.

EC47B72F-5122-4765-A274-AC490570746F.jpeg

7E8D8876-2B96-4C3F-B439-C20B634D6C33.jpeg

E35CF3D7-088E-47D5-A12F-A56BDE7B8997.jpeg

A brainstorm, candlelit Bible and my Doctor Grabow.

• Thanks 1

In the first picture we have 3 plants and two limbs (one arm, one leg) growing out of a man's head, each of them carrying a different side of who he is and/or what his intentions are and/or what his thoughts are. 

I think the three plants represent three different sides of him that were "planted" by the outside world. Perhaps by his upbringing or the culture.

The two limbs represent sides of him that are inherent. Maybe genetic or spiritual. 

Edited by signs_of_the_times
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Same, in my house ones voice and questions mattered immensely. My kids are some of my greatest teachers.

I think there are taught fears and natural fears. I can always be wrong and if I am I am sure a poster will not hesitate to point out my error, which I welcome. Lol

I also love the connection you made with the book, mindsets, my add to and “oh how we cling to our mindsets as a reality.”

And how difficult it is to let go of them. 

Your thoughts?

Yes, we have to consciously recognize our thought loops or destructive thoughts that have no foundation in our interactions with others and then determine to change them every time we catch them.  An example, "everyone at work is crazy and difficult"  specifically what person annoys you the most, find one thing you like about that person.   Then work your way through the list finding one thing you like about each of them, eventually you might conclude that you were the crazy, difficult one, with unrealistic expectations.

(just an example from my own experience)

I had that breakthrough when the voice in my head told me one day "You have no control over any one, the only control you have is what you think of them."

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

A brainstorm, candlelit Bible and my Doctor Grabow.

I love “A brainstorm” expand on this in your oh so beautiful poetic way, please. :blush:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha on my Dr. Grabow, clever. :P

Love candlelit Bible, interesting you capitalized “Bible” your thoughts?

21 minutes ago, signs_of_the_times said:

In the first picture we have 3 plants and two limbs (one arm, one leg) growing out of a man's head, each of them carrying a different side of who he is and/or what his intentions are and/or what his thoughts are. 

I think the three plants represent three different sides of him that were "planted" by the outside world. Perhaps by his upbringing or the culture.

The two limbs represent sides of him that are inherent. Maybe genetic or spiritual. 

Love it.

What are the three different parts planted by the outside world?

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

I love “A brainstorm” expand on this in your oh so beautiful poetic way, please. :blush:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha on my Dr. Grabow, clever. :P

Love candlelit Bible, interesting you capitalized “Bible” your thoughts?

Exploded view of random thoughts. Looks like a Bible, double columns and all, or some other holy book. Pipe is a pipe not much mystery there. Better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.  cogito ergo sum.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Wow, love this. :wub:

Do you think there is such a thing as an enlightened state and if so what is it and how would you know?

An enlightened state? Not in the sense that a person can transcend their mental or physical state and become something beyond human. 

But the artist painting the book might have. 

Enlightenment for me would be a blend of traits including intelligence, observation and being sympathetic to their fellow man, amongst others. So no super powers or a link to God.

If a person developed enlightened traits over time I would think they'd notice the change. If they were born with these traits it might be quite obvious from early on that their way of doing things was different, if not seen initially by the individual as better. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, we have to consciously recognize our thought loops or destructive thoughts that have no foundation in our interactions with others and then determine to change them every time we catch them.  An example, "everyone at work is crazy and difficult"  specifically what person annoys you the most, find one thing you like about that person.   Then work your way through the list finding one thing you like about each of them, eventually you might conclude that you were the crazy, difficult one, with unrealistic expectations.

(just an example from my own experience)

I had that breakthrough when the voice in my head told me one day "You have no control over any one, the only control you have is what you think of them."

Tracing the trigger, indeed it is usually about some unaccepted aspect or unhealed aspect of ourself or all kinds of other things I suspect. :D

For me, the fun part when I am present is finding the golden yummy of authenticity and the not so fun times of accepting whatever is beyond what I cannot fix.

An example: existential of course ( the best kind to me, when we are coming from our humanness) I once timed (not to long ago) how long I could stand my anxiety in the silence without doing a thing meaning reaching for relief of any kind. Omg, it was grueling it lasted 45 minutes and then it disappeared on its own. I was certainly tempted to call hubby, and my usual self comforting tools, but I honored the process. 

It lead to a bit of a growth spurt, a few days later and (I did do not well for 8 days) with hell like anxiety when my employer had no other choice but, to be hospitalized during Covid in a hospital that had 3/4 Covid patients and she is high risk as a quadrapalegic, Nothing helped me feel better, I just decided it was a valid response considering the circumstances and rode it out. 

Sometimes we just suffer and self comfort (compassion) to ourselves might help. 

I love the stories on being human, I hope to hear more from others. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Exploded view of random thoughts. Looks like a Bible, double columns and all, or some other holy book. Pipe is a pipe not much mystery there. Better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.  cogito ergo sum.

How are you holding up? You doing okay?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

An enlightened state? Not in the sense that a person can transcend their mental or physical state and become something beyond human. 

But the artist painting the book might have. 

Enlightenment for me would be a blend of traits including intelligence, observation and being sympathetic to their fellow man, amongst others. So no super powers or a link to God.

If a person developed enlightened traits over time I would think they'd notice the change. If they were born with these traits it might be quite obvious from early on that their way of doing things was different, if not seen initially by the individual as better. 

Well stated, I am skeptical of the I am enlightened or know god claims, or gnosis claims that are not apparent too.

At best, in my lifetime I have observed one person “ever”  a few times who was at peace in spite of what was going on around her. But, enlightened what the hell is it anyway? I think I do not know is the fairest conclusion for me. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

How are you holding up? You doing okay?

Oh, yeah. To be able to sleep whenever you want is a treat. Losing weight from not eating the crap food I had for lunch at work. It's amazing how much money you don't spend, staying at home. Been gorging myself on ad free documentaries on YouTube. History was one of my favorite subjects in college and afterwards. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Oh, yeah. To be able to sleep whenever you want is a treat. Losing weight from not eating the crap food I had for lunch at work. It's amazing how much money you don't spend, staying at home. Been gorging myself on ad free documentaries on YouTube. History was one of my favorite subjects in college and afterwards. 

Wonderful. Retirement is for you a good thing so far.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Wonderful. Retirement is for you a good thing so far.

Yeah, plan on going to this used books, games, movies, CDs etcetera store tomorrow to look for rare items. Haven't been there since the plague.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sherapy said:

What do you see in each picture?

Let’s explore the many ways we fool ourselves.

There are no right or wrong answers just an opportunity to join together on a journey.

All thoughts are welcome.

In the first picture I see an image of Dr.Freud with thoughts being depicted by many different items inside his mind.  Beautiful things and dangerous things.

In the second picture I see an open book on a table illuminated by candlelight.  

In the third picture, I see a tobacco pipe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guyver said:

In the first picture I see an image of Dr.Freud with thoughts being depicted by many different items inside his mind.  Beautiful things and dangerous things.

In the second picture I see an open book on a table illuminated by candlelight.  

In the third picture, I see a tobacco pipe.

Am I the only one who noticed the words below the pipe?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Am I the only one who noticed the words below the pipe?

They were in French?  I don’t read French so, I didn’t pay much attention.  Perhaps it’s an ad for a certain type of pipe?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sherapy said:

It is a picture of a Bible.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!  Lol.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Guyver said:

They were in French?  I don’t read French so, I didn’t pay much attention.  Perhaps it’s an ad for a certain type of pipe?

No, it is French and it says "This is not a pipe"  :lol:  (though I am not sure about pipe, the letters look kind of weird)  

I just checked a translator and pipe comes up as *******.  (probably that will get censored)   

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sherapy said:

WE WANT MORE Pictures!  WE WANT MORE PICTURES!!!!   JK.  Not really. Keep it going, this is fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, the thread title is the charlatan in us all.  So, my understanding of a charlatan is a person who is a “faker” a scam artist if you will.  A person who takes advantage of others purposely, for their own gain.  That is a heavy and really bold topic Sherapy.  Very interesting. @Sherapy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Guyver said:

Well, the thread title is the charlatan in us all.  So, my understanding of a charlatan is a person who is a “faker” a scam artist if you will.  A person who takes advantage of others purposely, for their own gain.  That is a heavy and really bold topic Sherapy.  Very interesting. @Sherapy

We do all at one time or another (and for some most of the time) fool ourselves, lie to ourselves, pretend something doesn't matter when there is an emotional charge, etc.   The Charlatan in that case would be us not be our genuine self even to ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was locked