Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Charlatan in us all...

Sherapy

7 hours ago, Sherapy said:

What do you see in each picture?

Let’s explore the many ways we fool ourselves.

There are no right or wrong answers just an opportunity to join together on a journey.

All thoughts are welcome.

A special thanks to @Desertrat56 and @eight bits @HalfAnIdiotfor your feedback and ideas.

EC47B72F-5122-4765-A274-AC490570746F.jpeg

7E8D8876-2B96-4C3F-B439-C20B634D6C33.jpeg

E35CF3D7-088E-47D5-A12F-A56BDE7B8997.jpeg

are you asking for a literal interpretation  or a symbolic one?

Just off the top of my head, and without googling or reading any of the posts here, but using stuff i already know 

They are all paintings and at least two of them are surrealist  

I would call the first one the mind of Sigmund Freud 

its the most interesting one to me, because every one of the symbols has a specific meaning in either psychology or older  form.

Jus t to take the pomegranate. Like the other forms it has long been used as a symbol in art.

It means many things in many cultures  going back to Persian and Greco roman,  including;  beauty and eternal life,  life and fertility,    blood, death, and power. 

The last one i would say is titled something like the French inscription  (i dont speak French but know enough of it and latin to read that phrase  "This is not a pipe" Given that this looks like a pipe then this is a deliberate  piece of art work designed to create  mispercetion   (if i had to say what it actually was I would guess a stylised human form, perhaps a ballerina or acrobat 

(this is a bit like the antiques' roadshow )

Because my first impression of the book was of a bible i am tempted to say "just an old  book" but, thinking like the roadshow experts  i suspect this one is just what it appears to be 

A bible open somewhere near the  end of the old testament  

The picture suggests age and an earlier era.  It is possibly quite old or tha t maybe part of th intent and symbolism of the image 

I wont go into symbolic interceptions now (ie how i read the images or what they mean tome ),   but there  are many Some are quite obvious others can be guessed at, using  accumulated knowledge and logic  

To give one example 

Symbolism abounds in the book picture 

A candle and the bible are both symbols of light and even of knowledge 

Both "cast out darkness'   (the background image)  The table resembles an altar of golden cloth  

I actully looked for a bell hidden in the image, as it brought to mind "bell book and candle" 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

are you asking for a literal integration or a symbolic one?

Hi Walker

Is that a trick question?:rolleyes:

jmccr8

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

No, it is French and it says "This is not a pipe"  :lol:  (though I am not sure about pipe, the letters look kind of weird)  

I just checked a translator and pipe comes up as *******.  (probably that will get censored)   

@Guyver  Well I looked it up  'pipe' is a tobacco pipe in French  (it is pronounced peep), so that other word must have been slang or a bad translation site.  :lol:

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

Just now, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

jmccr8

I don't understand what he means by "integration".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

are you asking for a literal integration or a symbolic one?

Just say what you really think in as Few words as possible.  It is not a quiz, it is a discussion.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Just say what you really think in as Few words as possible.  It is not a quiz, it is a discussion.

He needs to show us how smart he thinks he is.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

I don't understand what he means by "integration".

Hi Nuke

Maybe he thinks the pictures are related in a theme like Freud was smoking something in the pipe and had vivid dreams of a sexual nature(given the female body bits) and the bible conflicts with his fantasy:lol:

jmccr8

• Haha 5

I have to recuse myself, I am too familiar with this thought exercise... 

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

jmccr8

No, I was serious 

Both, or one or the other, are possible 

It is difficult (for me)  to answer a question until I  understand what the questioner is thinking and asking of me.

I gave a literal answer, with a bit of symbolic comprehension thrown in 

Ah just noticed you responded while i still had integration rather than interpretation 

Integration would have been legitimate but made it a different question 

Indeed th 3 pictures could well be integrated, as one person pointed out, along sexual or other themes.

Freuds psychology was motivated by sex The bible dwells on sex and sexual conduct   and i do suspect the last image is sexual in nature (although that could just be my evil mind a t work) The classical answer is that it is a picture of a pipe but not a pipe, thus commenting on the nature of reality and perception

Pipes and cigarettes are also connected to sexual images  and thoughts 

Edited by Mr Walker

24 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

lol Sorry i corrected it,  but  at first  my spell checker gave interpretation as integration 

I wanted to know if a literal or symbolic interpretation was being asked for. 

20 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I have to recuse myself, I am too familiar with this thought exercise... 

~

The way I did it was simply indicate what I thought/felt about each picture, in as few words as I could.

• Like 1

What do you see in each picture?

Let’s explore the many ways we fool ourselves.

There are no right or wrong answers just an opportunity to join together on a journey.

All thoughts are welcome.

A special thanks to @Desertrat56 and @eight bits @HalfAnIdiotfor your feedback and ideas.

EC47B72F-5122-4765-A274-AC490570746F.jpeg

7E8D8876-2B96-4C3F-B439-C20B634D6C33.jpeg

E35CF3D7-088E-47D5-A12F-A56BDE7B8997.jpeg

1 Salavor Dali

2 A bible

3 A pipe. 

Where is this actually going? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, psyche101 said:

1 Salavor Dali

2 A bible

3 A pipe. 

No idea. Just go with it, man. :lol:

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

No idea. Just go with it, man. :lol:

Lol :lol:

I'm being impatient!!!

tenor.gif?itemid=7625048

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Hi Psyche

I don't profess medical knowledge nor do I advise anyone on issues that I think need professional help but do encourage them to seek it out so as far as a charlatan goes I would not describe myself as one, a scoundrel, a cad, yes a charlatan never.:D I see  art an expression and without looking at the context of influences on the artist at the time it was created my impression f it may be vastly different because of influences in my life and have not identified an impression or thoughts of this art in this thread other than my little fun with Walker.

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
the usual
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Psyche

I don't profess medical knowledge nor do I advise anyone on issues that I think need professional help but do encourage them to seek it out so as far as a charlatan goes I would not describe myself as one, a scoundrel, a cad, yes a charlatan never.:D I see  art an expression and without looking at the context of influences on the artist at the time it was created my impression f it may be vastly different because of influences in my life and have not identified an impression or thoughts of this art in this thread other than my little fun with Walker.

jmccr8

I'm just really interested to see how these images indicate fooling ourselves. I wonder how the responses indicate a result. It's all very fascinating.

I pull things apart, it's what I do :lol:

Edited by psyche101
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

The way I did it was simply indicate what I thought/felt about each picture, in as few words as I could.

I know, but I knew I know... 

It's that "do you see your nose in front of your eyes" thought experiment..

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

I pull things apart, it's what I do :lol:

Hi Psyche

I have noticed that but what stands out more is that you are able to put those things back together I've bought plenty of cars that were in boxes when I got them and apply the same principal in all areas.

jmccr8

• Like 3

Just now, jmccr8 said:

Hi Psyche

I have noticed that but what stands out more is that you are able to put those things back together I've bought plenty of cars that were in boxes when I got them and apply the same principal in all areas.

jmccr8

Who always sneaks those extra 3 screws, 8 washers and 5 nuts into your workspace when we aren't looking is what I want to know.....

They are always left over...... :unsure:

I suspect underpants gnomes have some involvement.

• Haha 3

Just now, psyche101 said:

I'm just really interested to see how these images indicate fooling ourselves. I wonder how the responses indicate a result. It's all very fascinating.

Just my $0.02 but perhaps it has to do with how likely we would be to be attracted to things (thus more susceptible to being "fooled") depending on the thoughts/feelings that are generated by exposure to said thing.

• Like 3

Question: why did you choose bendy demon as your handle?

Sorry for taking so long...

In answer to your question, I chose Bendy mainly because I like him. He's small, cute and as a character I feel bad for him.

He was created for a purpose but was exploited, abused then tossed aside then tried to rectify things albeit poorly and went a bit insane in the process.

However I have created my own stories about Bendy that don't depict him as a blood thirsty creature bent on revenge (though somewhat justified) nor do they follow the game script and are only loosely connected with his basic story.

In short, Bendy is different from your usual beings and personally, I do not see demons as inherently bad simply because I do not think anyone is born good or bad/evil; these are all results of willfully chosen behaviors though often these behaviors are a result of their upbringing, life experiences, situations, environment, etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The second picture made me think of this song by Peter Gabriel.  It’s about his soul traveling and finding an open book that has his new name on it.

• Like 3

• The topic was locked