Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do people hate cheese?

Eldorado

While, obviously, not all people hate cheese — a single French citizen ate about 25.9 kilograms of cheese per year in 2013 — the number of people who dislike cheese was high enough to surprise Jean-Pierre Royet, a neuroscientist and the author of what appears to be the first and only scientific study on the brains of cheese-haters.

In his 2016 study "The Neural Bases of Disgust for Cheese: An fMRI Study," he found as many as 6 percent of 332 people disliked cheese so much that they were disgusted by it.

The study tackles some big ideas in the world of cheese hatred. Part of the hatred, the study suggests, comes down to negative experiences with cheese, like the misery of lactose intolerance (18 percent of subjects said they had milk intolerance).

However, some people find it purely disgusting, even without prior negative experiences.

Full article at InVerse: Link

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I love cheese. Blue cheese dressing was an acquired taste. Some cheeses have an odor but nothing that I've really noticed. I haven't encountered Limburger though. Not sure if I could eat that.

• Like 3

Cheese is divine. One of the apostles of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Hail to cheese! Fill my mouth, bless my belly! :wub:

• Like 5

Mmmmmmm,cheese.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Green Cheese from a tree... 

img_6675.jpg?w=640

~

42 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

I love cheese, especially 'Cheddar cheese'. :yes:

The sharper, the better.

• Like 2

I like cheese but I loathe nuts, of any kind.  The smell of peanuts makes me want to vomit.  I have never liked them (nuts) ever, never had a bad experience with a nut (choking etc) so why, that’s what I would like to know?  Why one person’s taste buds mean they love a flavour while someone else’s doesn’t.  I am not allergic to them, having accidentally ingested them over the years.  They seem to be in almost every recipe these days. Yuk, yuk, yuk! :td:

Edited by Susanc241
Spelling correction
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Cheese is a disgusting concept when you think about it. It's made from fluid that is squirted out of an animal, then it starts to rot.

Honey is gross too, it's insect vomit.

Edited by moonman
  • Haha 2

Mmmmmm..fluid squirted out of an animal, that's started to rot.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

I like cheese but I loathe nuts, of any kind.  The smell of peanuts makes me want to vomit.  I have never liked them (nuts) ever, never had a bad experience with a nut (choking etc) so why, that’s what I would like to know?  Why one person’s taste buds mean they love a flavour while someone else’s doesn’t.  I am not allergic to them, having accidentally ingested them over the years.  They seem to be in almost every recipe these days. Yuk, yuk, yuk! :td:

Have you ever tried salty roasted pistachios? Best snack ever! And I dislike most nuts too.

19 hours ago, Eldorado said:

However, some people find it purely disgusting

Not as bad as grundle butter though.

• Thanks 1