Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nasa's 'megarocket' set to fire up engines

Still Waters

The four main engines of Nasa's new "megarocket" are to be fired in unison for the first time, demonstrating the launcher's raw, explosive power.

The Space Launch System (SLS) is part of the agency's Artemis programme, which aims to put Americans back on the lunar surface in a few years.

The engine "hotfire" is the last in a series of tests known as the Green Run.

It will help Nasa certify the rocket for its maiden flight, scheduled to take place later this year.

When it completes that flight, the SLS will become the most powerful rocket ever to have flown to space.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54583588

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I shall tune in latter to watch this test, the engines will be used on the moon test flight mission so its quite a big event.

• Like 2

gotta go darn it...wanted to catch that

Really looking forward to this mission. I was captivated as a youngster watching Apollo 11 in 69. As we watched on our little b/w television my father took us out back and we gazed up at the moon. There are people up there right now he said to us. I was just amazed at this and just stood there looking up. I was only six but still remember it clear as day...now if I can only remember where I put my bloody glasses an hr ago lol

• Thanks 1

Just for information: during the 60 second test run the four RS25 engines consumed approx. 90k gallones of propellant. (Holy **ht!)

Edited by toast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NASA’s moon rocket test Saturday didn’t go as planned

The team successfully completed the countdown and ignited the engines, but the engines shut down a little more than one minute into the hot fire. Teams are assessing the data to determine what caused the early shutdown, and will determine a path forward.

earthsky

SLS: Nasa finds cause of 'megarocket' test shutdown

An issue with hydraulic systems led to the premature shutdown of a key test for Nasa's new "megarocket".

Officials said the way components had been set up to respond in the test was "a little conservative" and that this led to the early stop.

Contrary to earlier concerns, there was no sign of damage to the huge core stage of the Space Launch System (SLS).

Nasa is still undecided about whether it will try to re-run the test, or ship the 65m-long vehicle section to Florida's Kennedy Space Center (KSC), where it will be prepared for its maiden flight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55727686

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

SLS: Nasa assembles twin boosters for its 'megarocket'

Nasa has completed the assembly of two booster rockets that will help power its gigantic, next-generation launch system - the SLS.

The SLS, or Space Launch System, is the rocket that will return astronauts to the Moon under the US Artemis project.

Over the course of several months, workers at Florida's Kennedy Space Center have vertically stacked the booster rockets' 10 segments.

When operational, the SLS will be the most powerful rocket in the world.

It will be capable of producing up to 8.8 million pounds of thrust, making it 15% more powerful than the Saturn V rocket that lofted the Apollo lunar missions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56339708