Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Remember When?

Brandy333

I was reading over the news, about the pandemic and the violence currently going on.  Then my mind shifted back to remembering when, for people like myself born in the 50s and 60s, give or take a little.  Sure there was crime and illness, not as extreme as now though.   But remember back then when life seemed so simple and people actually cared for other people?   Music was good, and there was nothing like a good juicy hamburger, fries and drink after a swim in the summer at the local pool.  Also, the seasons were not so crazy weather like now, where spring was warm, summer hot, fall cool and winter cold.   

Back then you could ride a bike or take a walk without having to worry about being attacked or killed.  It was a thrill to go to a movie and eat popcorn and not worry about a shooter coming in.   Going to the mall was a great excitement.   I remember back in the early 60s my mom would take us kids to a nearby Air Force or Army base where there were peacocks/deer and we would sit eating lunch while watching them.

Oh I could go on and on about the wonderful things we did back then, like horseback riding, bowling and etc.   If only, oh if only we could go back to those days.

This was one of the very classic songs of the 50s and 60s.  I will forever love the music back then.

Edited by Brandy333
  • Like 1

I can't idealize the 'old days'.  My memory has been tempered by recall due to resurfacing memories resultant from long introspection/meditation, combined with a long study and exploration of history.

Certainly the 50's were a wide open economic boom in America, so long as you were white, male and straight; or white, male, gay and firmly in the closet, undeniably there was prosperity aplenty.

If you were born brown skinned or carried the accent of an immigrant... they weren't such good old golden years decades in the 'back of the bus' of society.  50's were built on the sandwich of The Great Depression between two slices of World Wars (along with a side helping of Spanish Flu Pandemic) and a scant generation before that, was the open Civil War in America and long overdue ending of official and open slavery which followed the systematic genecide of tens of millions of the Native populations under Jackson and the like...

So I tend to think of it not as the good old days, but rather the good old daze, because memory of younger simpler times is more a cherry picked reflection of where my attention tended to focus in life back then, not the actual processes that went on about me. 

Such golden memories used to filter out many aspects of the daily grinding that mirror today exactly and were the direct cause and effect foundation of present conditions.  Conditions that to me, exemplify the systemic underlying human actualizing process which has not altered much at all.  These golden daze memories also reflect the bias ingrained in them due to the fact that during those times, I was decades younger, more vibrant and in many cases, free of responsibilities that come with age and expanded awareness.

Good old daze for some... and not so different at all, to right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

I can't idealize the 'old days'.  My memory has been tempered by recall due to resurfacing memories resultant from long introspection/meditation, combined with a long study and exploration of history.

Certainly the 50's were a wide open economic boom in America, so long as you were white, male and straight; or white, male, gay and firmly in the closet, undeniably there was prosperity aplenty.

If you were born brown skinned or carried the accent of an immigrant... they weren't such good old golden years decades in the 'back of the bus' of society.  50's were built on the sandwich of The Great Depression between two slices of World Wars (along with a side helping of Spanish Flu Pandemic) and a scant generation before that, was the open Civil War in America and long overdue ending of official and open slavery which followed the systematic genecide of tens of millions of the Native populations under Jackson and the like...

So I tend to think of it not as the good old days, but rather the good old daze, because memory of younger simpler times is more a cherry picked reflection of where my attention tended to focus in life back then, not the actual processes that went on about me. 

Such golden memories used to filter out many aspects of the daily grinding that mirror today exactly and were the direct cause and effect foundation of present conditions.  Conditions that to me, exemplify the systemic underlying human actualizing process which has not altered much at all.  These golden daze memories also reflect the bias ingrained in them due to the fact that during those times, I was decades younger, more vibrant and in many cases, free of responsibilities that come with age and expanded awareness.

Good old daze for some... and not so different at all, to right now.

I don't mean to offend with the post or make it sound as though life were a bowl of cherries for whites.   I identify myself as white, but I am not white-white either.  I am female and have some Black Dutch.  I remember telling someone my skin was somewhat brownish, and they said "no, you're not white-white".  I simply feel that the 50s and 60s were not as hate-filled and chaotic as now.

Edited by Brandy333
  • Thanks 1

For a time I perceived the world was getting much worse.

Then I realized that I think it's more a case of I hear of so much more than before.

And I'm inclined to seek out more than I did as a youngster...

These aspects of human nature and interaction have always occured, but with today's technology and nigh on instantaneous flow of information, I hear exponentially more than I ever before had access to...

It's not that the human world is worse, it's just more in my face?

Edited by quiXilver
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

For a time I perceived the world was getting much worse.

Then I realized that I think it's more a case of I hear of so much more than before.

And I'm inclined to seek out more than I did as a youngster...

These aspects of human nature and interaction have always occured, but with today's technology and nigh on instantaneous flow of information, I hear exponentially more than I ever before had access to...

It's not that the human world is worse, it's just more in my face?

True, due to technology what is going on in the world is much more exposed than ever before.   But I feel it is getting worse, the desire to hate and kill.   You are right though, it's more in all our faces.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brandy333 said:

True, due to technology what is going on in the world is much more exposed than ever before.   But I feel it is getting worse, the desire to hate and kill.   You are right though, it's more in all our faces.

There literally are 3 billion more people today in total, so the hateful and homicidal are logically growing in numbers. And with the internet, they all get a voice and an easy way to organize.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Brandy333 said:

Back then you could ride a bike or take a walk without having to worry about being attacked or killed

Statically speaking you are less likely to get attacked or kill now than back that. We are just more aware of it now.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Statically speaking you are less likely to get attacked or kill now than back that. We are just more aware of it now.

That depends some on where you live.

• Like 1

I think most generations get the feels for the "good ole days". Back when we were kids. And that's just it, back when we were kids- and young adults. We were less aware of the world, then as we get older, more aware of it.

And also, sharing of news has gotten incredibly fast compared to even the late 40's into the 50's. So part of it is feeling like there is more going on, when it's really getting more news/media about what's going on. Length if interest/attention in stories has shortened, while our want for more news has grown. 

I remember my days as a kid pretty fond too. Great times, great music, could do stuff, ect. As an adult looking back at actual history of that time and I realize there was really a lot going on.... I just wasn't aware of it. And media tec wasn't as fast and widespread as it is now. 

50's-60's had plenty of turmoil and hate, strife and war- same goes for several decades in either direction. Those folks were the first generation grow up in the shadow of The Bomb. Cold War, Cuba, Vietnam, civil rights fights and racism issues... society issues with women that  evolved into Women's Lib, society issues with homosexuality that was brutal. Abusive family relationships were a normal hidden secret. JFK shot, MLK too. Hollywood saw many changes in morality rules (a lot of cuss and erotica allowances)- TV became a thing in many homes. Las Vegas rose to it's glory with the mafia and then Hughes. Lotta serial killers, including some seriously infamous ones like Ed Gein, Zodiac, Manson, Boston Strangler, Kearney.. Whole bunch of other stuff too. I"m not of the era and that's what I'm thinking of off the top of my head. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nah, the world was not a good place back then, either.

There was still chaos: murder, rape, famine, war, sexism, racism, bigotry, disease, etc. 

You were also a kid, and the Internet wasn't around. Had the opposite been true of those two statements then you would not be recounting old times with such naïveté. :P

• Like 2

Have things really changed that much? I'm only 36 so can't remember any 'good ole days. I feel as though people are changing, some groups for better and others for worse, but are they really? As I've gotten older, I've noticed a very distinct and overt lack of dignity or respect that people have for anyone but themselves. And while many are seemingly nice, you soon learn that they're incredibly superficial and really only towing a line or doing nice things so they gain positive attention. My group of 'friends' has become very tight, it's extremely hard for me to begin to trust anyone. I used to be a socialite, now I couldn't care less to be around the majority of people, covid or not. 

I could go on and on, but I've still wondered if people are really changing, am *I* changing or just my perceptions? Now, with the internet and anonymity, EVERYONE has a voice, so I think it may have colored my view a bit. Or is it just a cycle? You start a naive and innocent child, forbid anything happening to you at that age, your life is peaches and cake. You don't know any hatred for anything, you play with all the other kids because no one taught you to treat anyone differently. You grow up and life happens; you go through phases, whatever they are, develop your own moral code and for much of your life, that's your measuring stick for character in others. 

I'm yammering, sorry, most of this post is probably useless. I don't think it's so much that people change, I think our outlook on life does. You also have to remember many places weren't so densely populated when you were a kid, not even when I was. Things just seemed more remote and personal, depending on where you grew up. As a kid, I was outside 90% of the day; exploring the woods by my house, going to neighborhood kid's houses to see if they were home lol, fishing, hiking, building forts... 

Life was so innocent, then, and so were we. That's why I say people didn't change, we did. 

• Like 2

Like a lot on this thread point out, there were bad things went on back then and I didn't mean to make it sound as it were all cherries and roses.   I suffered illness back then, the nation was still reeling from post war, etc.   But I reflect back on pleasant memories too.   I love the music and have seen on posts online where people born in the 80s love it too and say music nowadays is crap.   

When I was much younger in the early 60s my mom and other moms in the area we lived took turns taking us kids to movies, etc.   So it wasn't all bad.   Back then you never heard of a teen taking a gun and killing, but it is becoming more common now.

1 hour ago, Brandy333 said:

Like a lot on this thread point out, there were bad things went on back then and I didn't mean to make it sound as it were all cherries and roses.   I suffered illness back then, the nation was still reeling from post war, etc.   But I reflect back on pleasant memories too.   I love the music and have seen on posts online where people born in the 80s love it too and say music nowadays is crap.   

When I was much younger in the early 60s my mom and other moms in the area we lived took turns taking us kids to movies, etc.   So it wasn't all bad.   Back then you never heard of a teen taking a gun and killing, but it is becoming more common now.

You never heard of it. But statistically it happened more back then.

As pointed out childhood even young adulthood is peachy until responsibility of life kicks in, so be it good old days or bad times there is a lot of cherry picking and rightly so who wouldnt like better be deawn to an easier more painfree carefree time in their life?

2 hours ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

As I've gotten older, I've noticed a very distinct and overt lack of dignity or respect that people have for anyone but themselves. And while many are seemingly nice, you soon learn that they're incredibly superficial and really only towing a line or doing nice things so they gain positive attention. My group of 'friends' has become very tight, it's extremely hard for me to begin to trust anyone. I used to be a socialite, now I couldn't care less to be around the majority of people, covid or not. 

That most of it is nail on head, as times have moved forward the bar is set lower and lower and then a year like 2020 whew! Just today i about got into a confrontation with a moron i told him to back up out of my space and he nuts out into some blithering CT rant about media and politics, making it clear how his mind was filled with that tripe, so only partly his fault. I told him i didnt care about his BS i just didnt want his nasty ass all up in my space. He chose wisely.

That an example of whats been building for a while and i will stop there before i go and make it political, times change thats what they do but good or bad is always going to be about perceptions, i could wax about any decade of my 50.6 years being alive and paint it incense and peppermints or deep down trama hounds.

For a person like myself i have to fight not to see life as one big killing jar. So far i must be doing okay because im still here.

5 hours ago, rashore said:

I remember my days as a kid pretty fond too. Great times, great music, could do stuff, ect. As an adult looking back at actual history of that time and I realize there was really a lot going on.... I just wasn't aware of it. And media tec wasn't as fast and widespread as it is now. 

Yes there were a lot of things going on in the 50s and 60s, not all good but not all bad either.   I won't say that the times we're in are safer than back then.  Perhaps it's that we are more aware of things going on now, but are we safer?  No.  I was fortunate to live in a decent neighborhood, however, there were punks and less than worthy people there too.  But in my OP I was focusing on my fond memories of the good things we experienced, happy times.   If I had little children in today's world I'd be scared for them.   I would not trade my good experiences back then for anything.

Which of the “police actions” were the US involved in the 50s and 60s? Korea? Vietnam? TONNES of peace there.