Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Oviraptorid fossils found atop an egg clutch

Eldorado

A group of dinosaur fossils recently discovered in Ganzhou, East China's Jiangxi Province, have revealed an unprecedented paleontological finding to the world as they preserve a rare scene of an adult oviraptorid skeleton atop an egg clutch that contains embryonic remains.

The oviraptorid fossils were identified in stratum dating back to 70 million years ago. The discovery shows that the oviraptorid who lived in the Late Cretaceous was around two meters long. There are at least 24 eggs that have been found in one egg nest and the dinosaur was in a typical hatching posture (of modern birds) with its forelegs spread backward and covering the egg nest, while the hind legs were folded under the body.

Full monty at the Global Times (China): Link

Research abstract (16 December 2020) at Science Direct: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 4

Still Waters

Here's an update:

• Like 2

Eldorado
10 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Here's an update:

The research article I've cited is from 16 December 2020.  Your research article is from 22 November 2019.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Still Waters
2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

The research article I've cited is from 16 December 2020.  Your research article is from 22 November 2019.

Sorry @Eldorado I didn't notice the post I linked to is January 2020. I'm a year out!

• Haha 3