Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guatemalan forces clash with migrant caravan

Eldorado

Guatemalan security forces on Sunday used sticks and tear gas to beat back a large migrant caravan bound for the United States, just days before the advent of a new U.S. administration, which urged travelers to abandon the journey.

Between 7,000 and 8,000 migrants, including families with young children, have entered Guatemala since Friday, authorities say, fleeing poverty and violence in a region hammered by the coronavirus pandemic and back-to-back hurricanes in November.

A large section of the caravan clashed early on Sunday with Guatemalan security officials, some 3,000 of whom had mustered by the village of Vado Hondo, about 55 km (34 miles) from the borders of Honduras and El Salvador.

Full story from Reuters via MSN: Link

I just heard on national news that Mexico is using it's national guard to block their southern border.

• Like 2

Curious how Biden admin will deal with caravans.

• Like 2

Guatemalan troops with riot shields and truncheons have forcibly cleared a road of hundreds of mostly Honduran migrants who had camped out overnight when authorities barred their caravan from advancing toward the United States.

The government said the road in eastern Guatemala had reopened to traffic on Monday after troops and police officers launched teargas and pushed the migrants with their riot shields back down the highway.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/18/guatemala-troops-migrant-caravan-honduras

maybe  we should let them in, since they like America, but send all those who hate it, who riots, burns flags, and kneels, to where those people in the caravan came from. maybe they will understand how good they have it here.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2021 at 7:04 PM, spartan max2 said:

Curious how Biden admin will deal with caravans.

I seriously doubt that they will. He just doesn't want to say it yet while us deplorables are still all riled up. Don't know what he's worried about. Trump just had Fort D.C. erected, seems pretty safe atm.

3 hours ago, aztek said:

maybe  we should let them in, since they like America, but send all those who hate it, who riots, burns flags, and kneels, to where those people in the caravan came from. maybe they will understand how good they have it here.

Good idea. Maybe the Trumpers could take over Guatemala and bring down Donald as President for Life.

40 minutes ago, F3SS said:

I seriously doubt that they will. He just doesn't want to say it yet while us deplorables are still all riled up. Don't know what he's worried about. Trump just had Fort D.C. erected, seems pretty safe atm.

Gonna have to be dealt with though.  People may have forgotten, but those detention facilities were built under Trump / Biden and they build more border wall than the most recent prez.  Democrats don't always like to remember that Obama was called Deporter in chief.  Doesn't fit with the warm fuzzy caring image.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Good idea. Maybe the Trumpers could take over Guatemala and bring down Donald as President for Life.

Gonna have to be dealt with though.  People may have forgotten, but those detention facilities were built under Trump / Biden and they build more border wall than the most recent prez.  Democrats don't always like to remember that Obama was called Deporter in chief.  Doesn't fit with the warm fuzzy caring image.

Its easy to rack up record numbers of deportations when you're allowing record numbers to flood the gates.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

ever seen a trumper burn American flag and kneel for national anthem??  

Edited by aztek
  • Thanks 1

Mark Morgan, acting commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection, argues the migrant caravan of thousands is a 'microcosm of what's coming' once Joe Biden becomes president.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, F3SS said:

Its easy to rack up record numbers of deportations when you're allowing record numbers to flood the gates.

Yes, a target rich environment, but it does not necessarily follow.  Obama could have turned a blind eye. Really though, did border security increase under Trump, was it not still porous?  Was it fear, economic reasons or coronavirus  as much as border security?

Every country need secure borders so they can control who and how many to let into the country.  I think you would find a good number of moderates who hold that view.

After that comes what to do about current reality, and maybe that is where people differ.

Cheap labor, do we want it or not?:  If not then farmers automate or we pay more for groceries and maybe both.

Illegal labor, do we allow it or not?   Either we penalize companies for hiring and profiting by cheap illegal labor or we maintain a strong incentive to cross the border illegally. Rounding up the laborers does not remove the incentive.

DACA, children who were brought here as babies and have never been to their parents country.  Fully integrated into American culture, do we give them legal recognized status and a path to citizenship or not?

People who overstay their visa or start working on a tourist visa, do we find and deport them or not?

Drug imports from many countries, how much are we  willing to tolerate because enforcement costs money?

Here comes the xenophobic reaction of "all those illegal Latinos going to cross our border", esp in the covid pandemic, and note Mexico has a much lower rate of infections than the US. There has to be legal channels to resettle the economic, political and covid plus global warming refugees, because the US needs immigration like it always has. I worry about human trafficking in both slave and sexual forms along the border, they prey on undocumented immigrants to exploit them (Bernie Sanders and Lou Dobbs called out so-called liberal activists are actually behind the condoning of exploitation and trafficking).  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, aztek said:

ever seen a trumper burn American flag and kneel for national anthem??  

Nope never have.  Ever seen a BLM or antifa person carrying a traitorous confederate flag into the nation's capital  or showing up armed with zip ties to kidnap public officials.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd rather stand on the side that waves our flags instead of burning them and focuses its anger at the proper source and not Bill's gas station or Target.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Nope never have.  Ever seen a BLM or antifa person carrying a traitorous confederate flag into the nation's capital  or showing up armed with zip ties to kidnap public officials.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.

no but i';ve seen blm and antifa burn cities, attack people, and destroy property, and call for institutionalized racism,  and what is with supporting terrorist organizations?  you should know better, then again why would you

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, aztek said:

no but i';ve seen blm and antifa burn cities, attack people, and destroy property, and call for institutionalized racism,  and what is with supporting terrorist organizations?  you should know better, then again why would you

Didn't say I supported them.  Don't support any terrorists, but protesting for redress of grievances is a Constitutional Right.  All Trump supporters who marched and kept iyt outside were within their rights.  All BLM protestors who only protestes were within their rights.

People who looted the Capital and Target  are not protestors.  

• Like 2

A massive caravan of US-bound Honduran immigrants largely dissipated on Tuesday, with most migrants forced to return home after a days-long standoff with Guatemalan military.

While small groups of immigrants pressed on toward the Mexican border, thousands were loaded onto military trucks and buses — some provided by Mexico — and returned to El Florido on the Honduran border, authorities said.

nypost

• Like 3

On 1/17/2021 at 3:52 PM, seanjo said:

Why? FFS, the democrats are going to welcome them.

Because they don't want to risk people bringing in more corona virus would be my guess.