Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tournament Chat


joc

Recommended Posts

It's funny reading this thread when you're not involved in it . . . . and can't play chess! :lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's never too late though to learn how to play chess!  I mean...look at danydandan...a mere two years ago he didn't even know a bishop from a rook...now he is beating almost everyone.

come on sister!  The water's fine...jump in!  :sk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, joc said:

It's never too late though to learn how to play chess!  I mean...look at danydandan...a mere two years ago he didn't even know a bishop from a rook...now he is beating almost everyone.

come on sister!  The water's fine...jump in!  :sk

I still get confused,is the rook the castle or the horse.?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

I still get confused,is the rook the castle or the horse.?

The rook (/rʊk/; ♖,♜) is a piece in the game of chess resembling a castle. Formerly the piece (from Persian رخ rokh/rukh), meaning chariot, was alternatively called the tower, marquess, rector, and comes (Sunnucks 1970).

No one ever says though...I think I should Rook....

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

It's funny reading this thread when you're not involved in it . . . . and can't play chess! :lol:

I dont know how to play and yet its good learning curve and good fun

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/31/2021 at 8:26 PM, joc said:

@danydandan

@spartan max2

@GoldenWolf

@Pettytalk

@Green Wasp

@diddyman68

@SeekTruth

@Gummug

 @zep73

@Green Wasp  Hey man...are you still wanting to play?  You are on the list if you do ...you're good.

Gummung aka  Gary Hart is now playing.

 

 

Joc, what is this list about and who is spartan_max2?

Also, Gummug claims somewhere else he is playing as Gary Hart. yikes. I don't worry about gummug, as it is on him now to challenge me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

 

Joc, what is this list about and who is spartan_max2?

Also, Gummug claims somewhere else he is playing as Gary Hart. yikes. I don't worry about gummug, as it is on him now to challenge me.

Oh, that's the players list, but I forgot to delete spartan_max...he had to drop out due to a personal situation.  I just wanted to make sure everyone got the message that Gary Hart was Gummug and that he was indeed playing on redhotpawn as Gary Hart.  I'm sure he will challenge you soon enough.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, joc said:

Oh, that's the players list, but I forgot to delete spartan_max..

I see, "players list". Well, that could be the cause of my confusion, neither you or I are on that list. 

Joc, I am just going to go by the cross table names. I'm sure that's up to snuff, eh?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I see, "players list". Well, that could be the cause of my confusion, neither you or I are on that list. 

Joc, I am just going to go by the cross table names. I'm sure that's up to snuff, eh?

lol...I'm obviously not explaining myself very well...my bad...I said Players List...those are the Members who are playing.  The actual Playing List does indeed contain their Redhotpawn user names.  You are correct, those names are on the Chart and Score Card.  but if you put the @ sign followed by the name of the member...they get a notification that you mentioned them.  So I used that to let everyone know something all at once.  Kind of like Mass emailing.  Sorry for the confusion.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greetings to all! Hopefully everyone is staying safe in this world of a God-sent pandemic. I had a close call with exposure, but so far so good. As an old fart with underlying health issues (brain; I'm too smart for my own good), I'm scheduled to get the 1st vaccine shot. And speaking of 1st,  I'm currently playing 1st game with E of T, and Dannydandan, the 2nd game with diddyman68, and waiting (when ready) on zep 73 to start our 2nd game. I completed the two games with "goodhearted" Eric261992 (he let me win both games). I'm now open to another player in the tourney. Anyone wanting to play may send me the challenge...first come first serve. I promise not to use my imaginary grandmaster skills.

I was wondering why some of the top players from previous UM chess tournaments are not participating...I mean the likes of Atlantis Rising, and this site's administrator, Saru. And another thing, why with so many thousands of UM members, we only have just a handful of participants in this chess tourney? It's inconceivable that with all the smart asses we have, more of them are not chess players, as chess is a mind game. And I mean it as a compliment, when I say smart asses, as many here are really smart, judging from my own low level of asinine cleverness.  

 

Edited by Pettytalk
I forgot to include the usual musical reference to the subject.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't buy into the whole, smart intelligent people will be good at chess thing.

I think it's more to do with practice.my education was sub standard ,i just learned enough to get by,but I've probably beaten people way more intelligent than me.

Shame more um members don't participate though,maybe more will play in the future.

Cheers @joc for setting up a very good tournament.

I predicted a mid table finish,and would be happy with that.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2021 at 9:36 PM, diddyman68 said:

I don't buy into the whole, smart intelligent people will be good at chess thing.

I think it's more to do with practice.my education was sub standard ,i just learned enough to get by,but I've probably beaten people way more intelligent than me.

Shame more um members don't participate though,maybe more will play in the future.

Cheers @joc for setting up a very good tournament.

I predicted a mid table finish,and would be happy with that.

I think logically minded people are better at chess.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SeekTruth said:

So..how can I join this tournament?

You are already in it...just start playing!

@danydandan

 

@GoldenWolf

@Pettytalk

@Green Wasp

@diddyman68

@SeekTruth

@Gummug

 @zep73

@Green Wasp  

Seek Truth is now available to play!  

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, SeekTruth said:

I don't see any tournaments that I'm a part of. What am I missing?

The tournament isn't on RHP...it's internal to UM...just find a player on RHP and challenge them...or they  can challenge you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, danydandan said:

I think logically minded people are better at chess.

throughout my life, the one occupation of chess players that stuck out the most to me is lawyer (solicitor)
I would have guessed something in the scientific realm. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

throughout my life, the one occupation of chess players that stuck out the most to me is lawyer (solicitor)
I would have guessed something in the scientific realm. 

 

I think logically minded persons are mostly lawyers or people who argue for a living. Us in the field of science aren't especially logical in terms of pure logic. A computer sciences person may be more inclined or a person involved in pure mathematical research would be great at chess. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dear all

I enjoy playing chess. Mostly because I enjoy solving problems, and there is a lot of that in chess.
Winning games is a different issue. I do not care enough about the game, to commit to the strategies and training, winning takes from the average player.
And then there's the queen. I care more about that piece than winning. I can only accept losing her, if by that I also take my opponents queen. Losing her by mistake is a game ender for me.
So, if I end a game against one of You prematurely, it is because I am about to, or have already, lost my queen, or because I can't solve any more problems.

I also suffer from hypertension, and every time I feel I'm close to a win, my blood pressure spikes. Maybe I'm allergic to winning?

 

Edited by zep73
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, zep73 said:

Dear all

I enjoy playing chess. Mostly because I enjoy solving problems, and there is a lot of that in chess.
Winning games is a different issue. I do not care enough about the game, to commit to the strategies and training, winning takes from the average player.
And then there's the queen. I care more about that piece than winning. I can only accept losing her, if by that I also take my opponents queen. Losing her by mistake is a game ender for me.
So, if I end a game against one of You prematurely, it is because I am about to, or have already, lost my queen, or because I can't solve any more problems.

I also suffer from hypertension, and every time I feel I'm close to a win, my blood pressure spikes. Maybe I'm allergic to winning?

 

What you need, good sir, is to pay mind to the Buddha. I can relate to the hyper tension thing. It's not easy to let go, but I know it can and must be done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, zep73 said:

I also suffer from hypertension, and every time I feel I'm close to a win, my blood pressure spikes. Maybe I'm allergic to winning?

Are you taking BP medicine?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, joc said:

Are you taking BP medicine?

I did for almost a year (2019-2020), but it turned out that I'm intolerant to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, zep73 said:

I did for almost a year (2019-2020), but it turned out that I'm intolerant to it.

If you have hypertension...you need a cardiologist.   There are many hypertension meds out there.  You just need to find one that will work that doesn't adversely affect you.  Hypertension isn't something to ignore.  Eventually it causes hardening of the arteries.  Have your GP refer you to a cardiologist. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.