Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tournament Chat

joc

22 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

excellent news, @joc

Hope your daughter in Houston can get some needed relief, as well.

It's my niece in Houston but thanks...it's pretty rough for a lot of Texans.  Practically everyone in Houston has to boil water...but some cities around me are also...Fort Worth, Arlington, and littler places like Princeton...about 20 miles away.  

Our little town is on a Water Coop that pulls water from an underground aquafer.  Broke up some ice in the Koi pond earlier today...it was 3 inches thick.  

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, joc said:

It's my niece in Houston but thanks...it's pretty rough for a lot of Texans.  Practically everyone in Houston has to boil water...but some cities around me are also...Fort Worth, Arlington, and littler places like Princeton...about 20 miles away.  

Our little town is on a Water Coop that pulls water from an underground aquafer.  Broke up some ice in the Koi pond earlier today...it was 3 inches thick.  

Jeez you guys let all Californians in and the place has gone to poop.

Seriously though, glad you're all safe dude. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, @joc

I just thought of something. You eliminated PettyTalk. But with that, I had already registered a win against him. So I lose those points?? :w00t::passifier:

yes, I'm a baby lol

6 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Hey, @joc

I just thought of something. You eliminated PettyTalk. But with that, I had already registered a win against him. So I lose those points?? :w00t::passifier:

yes, I'm a baby lol

:yes:

8 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Hey, @joc

yes, I'm a baby lol

This will cost you the tournament!  lol

On 2/18/2021 at 4:52 PM, joc said:

@Gummug  aka Gary Hart

That was a good game.  I was actually amazed by you missing the rook.  I mean, I wouldn't have been that amazed if I had done that...but I really didn't expect you too.  Anyway...thanks for letting me win (unintentional as it was)...because...you had that one in the bag man! :)

Sorry I don't come here as often as I used to, though I generally love to read the posts. I don't post as much as I used to, to be honest. when my facts or viewpoint are challenged, it's a bit of work to dredge up data...anyway, back to the topic yeah I have been known to do that. Part of it is I think what I call "winner's overconfidence". You begin to see that you have a tremendous advantage.and you (or at least I) then get sloppy.  I have done that more than once, even when I play over the board (which at the present I have the good fortune to be playing an older man in his 80's, he is really good, yesterday we played 3 games and he won 2 out of 3 but it was down to just pawns). Anyway, I enjoy a game...I prefer not to put a Christmas bow on it as I did with you but I try to learn from every game, win or lose. One thing I've learned...value your pawns. If you trade off everything but pawns and kings, which can  happen, a pawn majority can save your brsl something. Anyway, yeah, no denying it, for whatever reason I got careless.  I was in a tournament on 22nd Feb (I mean over-the-board in person) and I entered the finals...if I had won the last game I would have walked away with the trophy. Just one last victory. But it was nice to be that close, I got farther than I thought I would....

One last silly comment I feel like I'm not quite as well informed as some of the others who post here (some seem like they could be professors of economics or political science) so I don't want to seem like an ignoramus lol. Okay sorry for off topic...back to topic...let the games continue!!!  woot! woot!

17 hours ago, SeekTruth said:

This will cost you the tournament!  lol

Well, if I lose to Green Wasp in the second game,  we split. and if he wins all other games, we tie. So depends on what the tiebreak is. 

I could lose this tournament, yup. Suuuuuuuure could use those other 3 points. :whistle:

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Well, if I lose to Green Wasp in the second game,  we split. and if he wins all other games, we tie. So depends on what the tiebreak is. 

I could lose this tournament, yup. Suuuuuuuure could use those other 3 points. :whistle:

You would gain un unfair advantage if you were awarded those points. Think about it.

• Sad 1

I will give them back....

..when did hell freeze over....brrrr.

Edited by joc
  • Haha 1

mmm hmmm....okay...I will give them back to  you...but then, I will have to give everyone else 3 points as a win as well....and that leaves you...where exactly...oh, yeah...losing the tournament...

Either way... only shot at winning is to actually....Win.  :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, joc said:

mmm hmmm....okay...I will give them back to  you...but then, I will have to give everyone else 3 points as a win as well....and that leaves you...where exactly...oh, yeah...losing the tournament...

Either way... only shot at winning is to actually....Win.  :yes:

Ya ya, I'll be in my office. :geek:

• Haha 1

Quick question about the scorecard @joc .

Is orange the new red ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, diddyman68 said:

Is orange the new red ?

Well, ya see, diddy, red is a loss, but orange is a real bad, ass whooping. :rolleyes: 

How embarrassing 

• Haha 2

Orange is the new Draw.....

Edited by joc
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 2:06 PM, diddyman68 said:

Is orange the new red ?

Good win over Seek Truth, who is a decent player.  In the end, you had him outnumbered and with king cornered. Good job

• Like 3

Good win over Seek Truth, who is a decent player.  In the end, you had him outnumbered and with king cornered. Good job

Thanks earl.i would overall say seek truth is better than me,this was one of those rare games where i actually thought about every move.

Normally i start off thinking lines,possible traps etc,then  3/4 the way through the game i just start moving pieces for the sake of it.

I think i need to stop playing 10 games at once like i was at the start of the tourney,but I couldn't help myself.

But i am an eejit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, diddyman68 said:

Thanks earl.i would overall say seek truth is better than me,this was one of those rare games where i actually thought about every move.

Normally i start off thinking lines,possible traps etc,then  3/4 the way through the game i just start moving pieces for the sake of it.

I think i need to stop playing 10 games at once like i was at the start of the tourney,but I couldn't help myself.

But i am an eejit.

Diddy, 10 games is not a bad thing. What you have to force yourself to do in corr chess is slow down!
It's Ok to zip through an opening but, really, after that, don't be afraid to analyze for an hour per move or more. 
"Back in the day" before internet and I was playing corr chess through the mail, I had moves I would spend many hours on.
and DON'T play on a darn phone. How people do that is beyond me. And yo can brain-storm a position much faster on a real board, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2021 at 11:02 AM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Diddy, 10 games is not a bad thing. What you have to force yourself to do in corr chess is slow down!
It's Ok to zip through an opening but, really, after that, don't be afraid to analyze for an hour per move or more. 
"Back in the day" before internet and I was playing corr chess through the mail, I had moves I would spend many hours on.
and DON'T play on a darn phone. How people do that is beyond me. And yo can brain-storm a position much faster on a real board, too.

I can attest that playing via the app is a pain.

4 hours ago, danydandan said:

I can attest that playing via the app is a pain.

Ahh. you have finally made an appearance :tu:

On 3/26/2021 at 5:38 AM, Mr.United_Nations said:

I cant find gary

Look in the closet under that pile of old clothes.   ...or

Type in Gary Hart....