Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pulsing hum sound

Bendy Demon

Ok..first off I didn't know quite where to put this topic so I put it here

DISCLAIMER: Before I post, I am NOT looking for some fringe explanation for what I am gonna describe..just possible explanations.

Ok..for the past twelve years I became aware of hearing a low-pitched droning sound or hum that sounds kinda like the base of someones radio turned up but without the music (if that makes any sense). It is not a constant sound like my tinnitus and I hear it night or day, even when there are other sounds sometimes I detect this hum-like sound. It is not bad, per se nor loud but it is noticeable. I can hear it inside or outside too.

I do not want to fill my environment with more noise to mask the already existing sounds in my head, it will be a never-ending cycle. More noise to mask the other noise.

Anyways..has anyone experienced something like this?

• Like 2

Are you in California or some other place that has a lot of tectonic activity?   I have heard what you describe during an earthquake and the aftershocks.   For me it sounds like a huge truck rumbling past.

• Like 1

The mid west gets earthquakes as well, does this happen constantly or only sometimes?

Well..the sound itself is intermittent but if you mean the frequency (how often..) it usually is daily or almost daily. Meaning it can happen several times during the day (or night)

Ducati Panigale V4 R with Akrapovic titanium race exhaust passing by a few miles away.

• Haha 3

Yeah, that did cross my mind at one point but I think I am a tad too far away from that one.

54 minutes ago, Bendy Demon said:

Ok..for the past twelve years I became aware of hearing a low-pitched droning sound or hum that sounds kinda like the base of someones radio turned up but without the music (if that makes any sense). It is not a constant sound like my tinnitus and I hear it night or day,

Take note of the wind direction and the height of the cloud cover whenever you hear the sound. If you became aware of the sound 12 years ago, look for a wind farm that was erected somewhere in the near distance.

On my property, about once a month, I can hear the nearby wind turbines when there’s a north wind blowing and the cloud cover is very low. It sounds like an airliner flying at low altitude.

Hmm...the cloud cover and wind direction doesn't really seem to play a part. Happens be it cloudy or clear.

I am not aware of any new wind farms near my area though (I live roughly 40 miles from St. Cloud.) but I will look into that too.

• Like 1

Does it happen when anything is turned on? A fan, water, water heater? Fridge? Do you think it could be psychosomatic? Meaning you hear it because you think you hear it.

Nope. Happens regardless of what is running and no, I am not imagining it just like I am not imagining my tinnitus.

I try to ignore all of it, tinnitus or hum but they still exist.

When I first became aware of it I thought someone was playing their radio really loud with the bass turned up really high (like lots of people do in trucks and cars) I may have head it earlier than what I stated but it apparently became more pronounced, just like the cacophony of sounds already in my ears/head.

I honestly have no idea. Out of curiosity, is there anything around you that might be able to make such a sound? Like a autobody shop, something like that.

Nope. I live in a farm-like town and there is only one auto repair shop but they don't do heavy duty stuff, just repairs.

The weird thing is each individual hum can last anywhere from a couple of seconds to 30+  seconds but it is possible that, with the erection of more cell phone towers (maybe the nearby Camp Ripley put more up) the frequencies emitted are absorbed by the body and manifests into these 'hums'.

Thanks for the insights though.

Mmm..no. I actually considered  that but the 'rhythm' is not in sync with my heartbeat whatsoever.

1 minute ago, Bendy Demon said:

Mmm..no. I actually considered  that but the 'rhythm' is not in sync with my heartbeat whatsoever.

That's a good thing, because when my BP get's too high I get this bass type effect in my ear. 

• Like 1

Have you covered your ears when it happens to confirm its not part of your tinnitus?

My tinnitius makes weird sounds sometimes.

Hmm..I will try that next time the sounds are more prominent.

• Like 1

The strange thing about this weird low pitched hum is that it can come on suddenly; I plug my ears and still hear it but that does not necessarily mean it is tinnitus.

I looked into things related to the 'Taos Hum' but nothing quite fit though some sound samples came somewhat close. It could just be somenew wrinkle with tinnitus but it just seemed to come out of the blue and for awhile I thought it was because our neighbors were playing their radios too loud -you know where you can hear the drone of base when the source is far away- so I need to do some more research on this.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bendy Demon said:

The strange thing about this weird low pitched hum is that it can come on suddenly; I plug my ears and still hear it but that does not necessarily mean it is tinnitus.

I looked into things related to the 'Taos Hum' but nothing quite fit though some sound samples came somewhat close. It could just be somenew wrinkle with tinnitus but it just seemed to come out of the blue and for awhile I thought it was because our neighbors were playing their radios too loud -you know where you can hear the drone of base when the source is far away- so I need to do some more research on this.

I still think it could be underground activity, whether it is tectonic or mechanical, something is vibrating and causing it.

To be honest, trying to describe the sound I 'hear' is a bit difficult as it is kinda like the base (bass?) from a far off radio (just without the music) and the droning sounds you hear of a really loud, far-off t.v (without music or distinct voices).

It could be underground activity..I don't know. There is no drilling anywhere near where I am nor are there heavy mechanical activities but the fact that I became aware of it about 12 years ago thereabouts is odd but I will look into underground processes because at this point that is all I have to go on.

I will keep researching.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bendy Demon said:

To be honest, trying to describe the sound I 'hear' is a bit difficult as it is kinda like the base (bass?) from a far off radio (just without the music) and the droning sounds you hear of a really loud, far-off t.v (without music or distinct voices).

It could be underground activity..I don't know. There is no drilling anywhere near where I am nor are there heavy mechanical activities but the fact that I became aware of it about 12 years ago thereabouts is odd but I will look into underground processes because at this point that is all I have to go on.

I will keep researching.

There is a huge fault line in the mid west.  Look up where the fault lines are in the U.S.   Maybe that will give you something to go on.   Some people do "hear" earthquakes and earthquake activity.  My friend, who is hearing impaired interprets it as hearing a deep rumble, she feels it somehow and that is how it translates for her.  She always checks the earthquake website to verify that it is what she heard.

• Haha 1

If you have tinnitus then you have already hearing issues and should ask a doctor. Could very well be related.

That said, I'm also in MN and I hear the "hum" lots of people talk about at night, every night in bed. It sounds like a big truck low idling a couple blocks away. It could very well be a generator or something that runs year round, but when people around the world talk about the "hum" I understand. I'm just not sure my "hum" is their "hum". Yours sounds like it could be related to the power grid.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2

So far the only major fault line I have found is the 'New Madrid' fault line and the 'Great Lakes Tectonic Zone'.

The former seems to run through the southern states like Missouri while the Great Lakes one runs through the dakotas, wisconsin (I think) and probably Minnesota. Like I mentioned, the hum became noticeable about 12 years or so ago so maybe some geopathic stress is building.

As for my tinnitus, so far all that doctors recommend is 'masking' with white noise or hearing aids (which simply amplify regular sounds to blot out the ringing) and I don't want more noise by the way these masking techniques and even the hearing aids can apparently increase ones tinnitus because the auditory centers of the brain are being more stimulated

At any rate, I have a near symphony in my head; what started as the occasional ring that lasted a few seconds and was mild has become an irritating orchestra of various high pitched sounds, the intermittent hum and the occasional hum that seems to blot out sounds but strangely doesn't.

Oddness...