Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Pickup truck upsets Vancouver Councillor

Recommended Posts

Eldorado

A North Vancouver councillor says a pickup truck is a “glorification of violence” and is a symbol “domination”.

Mathew Bond, a councillor for North Vancouver made the comment on Twitter Saturday after coming across a parked pickup truck in Vancouver.

“The glorification of violence and domination,” Bond tweeted with disgust, along with a picture of the truck.

Full monty at Western Standard: Link

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Desertrat56

Dang! I wonder what he would say about Tesla's pickup.   :lol: That truck in the picture looks like it has been modified for off roading, maybe the owner has to travel some rough country, and it is Canada after all.  What a goof. 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8

Gee I don't know but here SUVs and Asian sport cars are better known for being used in drive by shooting trucks not so much.

jmccr8

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buzz_Light_Year
45 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

A North Vancouver councillor says a pickup truck is a “glorification of violence” and is a symbol “domination”.

Mathew Bond, a councillor for North Vancouver made the comment on Twitter Saturday after coming across a parked pickup truck in Vancouver.

“The glorification of violence and domination,” Bond tweeted with disgust, along with a picture of the truck.

Full monty at Western Standard: Link

 

Is that you @Hankenhunter ? :unsure2:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

I can't help kind-of agreeing with his premise.

Pimping a vehicle (Ford Capri onwards) has always been a way for men to assert their masculinity, even though their masculinity may be very small.

 

Edited by acute
I made it funnier! Duh.....
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
1 minute ago, acute said:

I can't help kind-of agreeing with his premise.

Pimping a vehicle has always been a way for men to assert their masculinity, even though their masculinity is very small.

"even though" or "especially when"?

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw

In the Middle East they're called "technicals" when they mount a heavy weapon like a Ma Deuce 50 in the bed.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek

it is not the toxic masculinity of the truck drivers,  it is complete lack of self confidence, and insecurity of those who see it  as such. 

they are also safer in a crash, their crumple zones are other cars, lol    just get t boned hard once and you'll understand, 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa

Before they became popular, that size rig held half a dozen loggers drinking coffee and trying to wake up going up the hill at 4:30 in the morning or wet cold and bone tired  guys going down the hill and wishing the heater worked better.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smanthaonvaca

I'd seen a lot of souped up trucks and cars that looked like that in FL but didn't really find it offensive. I guess I could see the whole macho thing but I had thought it was more of a pride in trucks or using an outdoorsy vehicle for hunting, farming, and other recreational activities. It may be a different culture near Vancouver but I still dont think I would be offended.

Aside from that I think the "global warmer" tag may be suiting for those in FL who are extremely passionate about the low emission regulations...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats

Fl has a lot of trucks some are even cool if the threads truck offended some anal guy this would really upset him,

OIP.B_qJu7LgyYjbH9cJzyUWDwHaD5?w=193&h=1

Dont try to fool oneself of make excuses guys who hang plastic scrotums off the back of their tricked out trucks feel lacking and are going for some macho he-man over compensation thing, no way not to see those types and think...

OIP.RDLO1hcJbzKn1UVNQcAn9QHaE3?w=193&h=1

To each their own. :tu:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
On 1/18/2021 at 4:12 PM, acute said:

I can't help kind-of agreeing with his premise.

Pimping a vehicle (Ford Capri onwards) has always been a way for men to assert their masculinity, even though their masculinity may be very small.

 

You sound jealous.  Couldn't afford to do it yourself eh?  

maxresdefault.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
OverSword

Anybody that see's that truck as a glorification of violence and domination just doesn't know how fun it is to take a stacked four wheeler out to some dunes or on mountain trails. I hope he didn't mess his panties up too much before he tweeted that bit of ignorant hate.  What a sensitive little wimp.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
11 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Anybody that see's that truck as a glorification of violence and domination just doesn't know how fun it is to take a stacked four wheeler out to some dunes or on mountain trails. I hope he didn't mess his panties up too much before he tweeted that bit of ignorant hate.  What a sensitive little wimp.

 

They also don't see the utilitarian attributes of that truck.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
12 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

They also don't see the utilitarian attributes of that truck.

He didn't like the sign on the front of the truck that says Global Warmer.  Take a joke mister delicate.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
Just now, OverSword said:

He didn't like the sign on the front of the truck that says Global Warmer.  Take a joke mister delicate.

I guess I didn't notice that either.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
godnodog

Well I think super sport cars are stupid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
1 minute ago, godnodog said:

Well I think super sport cars are stupid.

Me too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
toast
On 1/19/2021 at 6:31 AM, Tatetopa said:

Before they became popular, that size rig held half a dozen loggers drinking coffee and trying to wake up going up the hill at 4:30 in the morning or wet cold and bone tired  guys going down the hill and wishing the heater worked better.

Today, in my home town, its mothers with Porsche Cayenne/Mercedes GLC/BMW X5 taking their spoiled little kids to the kindergarten/school and blocking the whole road. For the majority of these ladies, even a Smart would be too big to handle, their style of driving is terrible. Sometimes, when such a lady sit in the car ready to leave I hit my car`s horn and they immediately hit the brake and look very panic. (Yes, thats North-German humor)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
toast
45 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Me too.

Noooooo!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
15 minutes ago, toast said:

Noooooo!

Yes, in more ways than one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
odas
On 1/18/2021 at 3:23 PM, Eldorado said:

A North Vancouver councillor says a pickup truck is a “glorification of violence” and is a symbol “domination”.

Mathew Bond, a councillor for North Vancouver made the comment on Twitter Saturday after coming across a parked pickup truck in Vancouver.

“The glorification of violence and domination,” Bond tweeted with disgust, along with a picture of the truck.

Full monty at Western Standard: Link

 

What a douchbag. I am not a fan of pumped up trucks but, guys want have some fun with their trucks, no problem there.

What bothers me really and what symbolises violence and domination are the fat, middleaged weirdoes in old silver pontiac vans with candies inside driving around schools.

Maybe Mr. Bond should look into the real problem rather than acting stupid.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats
On 1/25/2021 at 3:45 PM, odas said:

What a douchbag. I am not a fan of pumped up trucks but, guys want have some fun with their trucks, no problem there.

What bothers me really and what symbolises violence and domination are the fat, middleaged weirdoes in old silver pontiac vans with candies inside driving around schools.

Maybe Mr. Bond should look into the real problem rather than acting stupid.

 

 

I wonder what type vehicle mr bond is okay with.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.