Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pickup truck upsets Vancouver Councillor

Eldorado

A North Vancouver councillor says a pickup truck is a “glorification of violence” and is a symbol “domination”.

Mathew Bond, a councillor for North Vancouver made the comment on Twitter Saturday after coming across a parked pickup truck in Vancouver.

“The glorification of violence and domination,” Bond tweeted with disgust, along with a picture of the truck.

Full monty at Western Standard: Link

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 4

Dang! I wonder what he would say about Tesla's pickup.   :lol: That truck in the picture looks like it has been modified for off roading, maybe the owner has to travel some rough country, and it is Canada after all.  What a goof. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Gee I don't know but here SUVs and Asian sport cars are better known for being used in drive by shooting trucks not so much.

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

A North Vancouver councillor says a pickup truck is a “glorification of violence” and is a symbol “domination”.

Mathew Bond, a councillor for North Vancouver made the comment on Twitter Saturday after coming across a parked pickup truck in Vancouver.

“The glorification of violence and domination,” Bond tweeted with disgust, along with a picture of the truck.

Is that you @Hankenhunter ? :unsure2:

• Haha 1

I can't help kind-of agreeing with his premise.

Pimping a vehicle (Ford Capri onwards) has always been a way for men to assert their masculinity, even though their masculinity may be very small.

Edited by acute
I made it funnier! Duh.....
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, acute said:

Pimping a vehicle has always been a way for men to assert their masculinity, even though their masculinity is very small.

"even though" or "especially when"?

• Haha 7

In the Middle East they're called "technicals" when they mount a heavy weapon like a Ma Deuce 50 in the bed.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

it is not the toxic masculinity of the truck drivers,  it is complete lack of self confidence, and insecurity of those who see it  as such. 

they are also safer in a crash, their crumple zones are other cars, lol    just get t boned hard once and you'll understand, 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Before they became popular, that size rig held half a dozen loggers drinking coffee and trying to wake up going up the hill at 4:30 in the morning or wet cold and bone tired  guys going down the hill and wishing the heater worked better.

• Like 5

I'd seen a lot of souped up trucks and cars that looked like that in FL but didn't really find it offensive. I guess I could see the whole macho thing but I had thought it was more of a pride in trucks or using an outdoorsy vehicle for hunting, farming, and other recreational activities. It may be a different culture near Vancouver but I still dont think I would be offended.

Aside from that I think the "global warmer" tag may be suiting for those in FL who are extremely passionate about the low emission regulations...

• Like 2

Fl has a lot of trucks some are even cool if the threads truck offended some anal guy this would really upset him,

OIP.B_qJu7LgyYjbH9cJzyUWDwHaD5?w=193&h=1

Dont try to fool oneself of make excuses guys who hang plastic scrotums off the back of their tricked out trucks feel lacking and are going for some macho he-man over compensation thing, no way not to see those types and think...

OIP.RDLO1hcJbzKn1UVNQcAn9QHaE3?w=193&h=1

To each their own. :tu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/18/2021 at 4:12 PM, acute said:

Pimping a vehicle (Ford Capri onwards) has always been a way for men to assert their masculinity, even though their masculinity may be very small.

You sound jealous.  Couldn't afford to do it yourself eh?  

maxresdefault.jpg

Anybody that see's that truck as a glorification of violence and domination just doesn't know how fun it is to take a stacked four wheeler out to some dunes or on mountain trails. I hope he didn't mess his panties up too much before he tweeted that bit of ignorant hate.  What a sensitive little wimp.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Anybody that see's that truck as a glorification of violence and domination just doesn't know how fun it is to take a stacked four wheeler out to some dunes or on mountain trails. I hope he didn't mess his panties up too much before he tweeted that bit of ignorant hate.  What a sensitive little wimp.

They also don't see the utilitarian attributes of that truck.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

They also don't see the utilitarian attributes of that truck.

He didn't like the sign on the front of the truck that says Global Warmer.  Take a joke mister delicate.

• Thanks 1

Just now, OverSword said:

He didn't like the sign on the front of the truck that says Global Warmer.  Take a joke mister delicate.

I guess I didn't notice that either.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, godnodog said:

Well I think super sport cars are stupid.

Me too.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 6:31 AM, Tatetopa said:

Before they became popular, that size rig held half a dozen loggers drinking coffee and trying to wake up going up the hill at 4:30 in the morning or wet cold and bone tired  guys going down the hill and wishing the heater worked better.

Today, in my home town, its mothers with Porsche Cayenne/Mercedes GLC/BMW X5 taking their spoiled little kids to the kindergarten/school and blocking the whole road. For the majority of these ladies, even a Smart would be too big to handle, their style of driving is terrible. Sometimes, when such a lady sit in the car ready to leave I hit my car`s horn and they immediately hit the brake and look very panic. (Yes, thats North-German humor)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Me too.

Noooooo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, toast said:

Noooooo!

Yes, in more ways than one.  

On 1/18/2021 at 3:23 PM, Eldorado said:

What a douchbag. I am not a fan of pumped up trucks but, guys want have some fun with their trucks, no problem there.

What bothers me really and what symbolises violence and domination are the fat, middleaged weirdoes in old silver pontiac vans with candies inside driving around schools.

Maybe Mr. Bond should look into the real problem rather than acting stupid.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2021 at 3:45 PM, odas said:

What a douchbag. I am not a fan of pumped up trucks but, guys want have some fun with their trucks, no problem there.

What bothers me really and what symbolises violence and domination are the fat, middleaged weirdoes in old silver pontiac vans with candies inside driving around schools.

Maybe Mr. Bond should look into the real problem rather than acting stupid.

I wonder what type vehicle mr bond is okay with.

• Like 2