Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spirit caught on home security camera

Nicewonder

Do you notice how in every one of these videos, the "orb" is generally coming towards the camera? There's a good (aka mundane) reason for that - the camera is only lighting up dust that is near (or coming towards) the sensor. There's an untold amount of dust in there that you can't see on camera since it isn't in range of the sensor.

It would be interesting to know the locations of the air return and vent ducts in that room in relation to the camera. The way the dust is moving it seems a return vent is somewhere behind and above it, or perhaps behind whatever the camera is sitting on - or maybe the camera has a fan in it?

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, moonman said:

Do you notice how in every one of these videos, the "orb" is generally coming towards the camera? There's a good (aka mundane) reason for that - the camera is only lighting up dust that is near (or coming towards) the sensor. There's an untold amount of dust in there that you can't see on camera since it isn't in range of the sensor.

It would be interesting to know the locations of the air return and vent ducts in that room in relation to the camera. The way the dust is moving it seems a return vent is somewhere behind and above it.

Watch closer. They move in all directions.

3 minutes ago, Nicewonder said:

Watch closer. They move in all directions.

No, they don't. They are all coming towards the camera from different directions. Where is the air return vent in that room, and does the camera have some sort of cooling fan (unlikely I know but it begs asking).

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, moonman said:

It would be interesting to know the locations of the air return and vent ducts in that room in relation to the camera. The way the dust is moving it seems a return vent is somewhere behind and above it, or perhaps behind whatever the camera is sitting on - or maybe the camera has a fan in it?

Video 3 has 3 different orbs in 3 different parts of the room. Look closer.

4 minutes ago, Nicewonder said:

Video 3 has 3 different orbs in 3 different parts of the room. Look closer.

Yes, dust can be in more than one place at a time. Where is the air return vent? Is it behind the dresser the camera is sitting on?

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

What seems to be happening is the woman is moving a little in bed and setting off the movement sensor - she's still moving in at least one of the videos. By the time the camera turns on, she's done moving and you then pick up the dust wafting by and want to blame that dust for setting off the camera in the first place.

Easy way to prove that right or wrong is to have a camera that runs constantly next to the one that goes off from motion, and compare timestamps of the results.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

Rather odd positioning of a security camera...  And may I suggest you turn on date and time stamping...

9 hours ago, Nicewonder said:

I'm positive it's not dust.

What's your digital imaging background?  Have you seen what dust 'orbs' DO look like?  There's plenty of info out there.

I'm positive it IS dust (or in the first case a bug) 

9 hours ago, Nicewonder said:

I have footage of them appearing in one place and hovering without movement for 15-20 seconds before blinking out.

????  So post that footage.  The ones shown ARE dust or bugs or other floating debris (fluff, microplastics, etc), near to the lens, and brightly illuminated by the IR leds on the camera.  Things that are close and out of focus tend to go round (or other shapes depending on the aperture design).

Photographers understand them, that's why you should talk to them. The photographic term is 'backscatter', although that isn't in common use.   There's even a name for the shapes they form - it's called Bokeh.

Here you go, for a start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_(photography)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

As for "Mum lives in a clean-room".... forgive my mirth, and read moonman's comments again...

And 4 videos now?  That's just spamming your channel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Rather odd positioning of a security camera...  And may I suggest you turn on date and time stamping...

What's your digital imaging background?  Have you seen what dust 'orbs' DO look like?  There's plenty of info out there.

I'm positive it IS dust (or in the first case a bug) 

????  So post that footage.  The ones shown ARE dust or bugs or other floating debris (fluff, microplastics, etc), near to the lens, and brightly illuminated by the IR leds on the camera.  Things that are close and out of focus tend to go round (or other shapes depending on the aperture design).

Photographers understand them, that's why you should talk to them. The photographic term is 'backscatter', although that isn't in common use.   There's even a name for the shapes they form - it's called Bokeh.

Here you go, for a start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_(photography)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

As for "Mum lives in a clean-room".... forgive my mirth, and read moonman's comments again...

And 4 videos now?  That's just spamming your channel.

I'll be posting the better ones soon. I'm familiar with what dust looks like from watching ghost hunter shows. My mother has all of them on her phone. She sent me just a few last night and chose the ones that were most compelling. If I weren't familiar with all the weirder ones I'd say dust too. But these things are not bound by gravity. They shoot off in straight lines, they hover, they move from the back of the room towards the door. I'm looking for the one that appears over her head. When I find it I'll post. Just do me a favor and look closely. Dust eventually falls. And again there are no fans or strong air currents in the room. The vent is even usually closed. 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, moonman said:

Still waiting to hear where the air return vent is, and to see the video of the dust "hovering in the same spot for 15-20 seconds".

The air vent is behind the camera off to the left on the floor. If it was spewing up dust it should kick dust up and away from the camera.

12 hours ago, Nicewonder said:

video 2

Look at the bottom right. It starts out by the nightstand and goes in a straight line.

On 1/20/2021 at 10:53 PM, Nicewonder said:

I'll be posting the better ones soon. I'm familiar with what dust looks like from watching ghost hunter shows.

Well, that certainly qualifies you...  Funny you don't mention insects...  

My mother has all of them on her phone. She sent me just a few last night and chose the ones that were most compelling.

So your knowledge is based on cherry-picking..

If I weren't familiar with all the weirder ones I'd say dust too. But these things are not bound by gravity. They shoot off in straight lines, they hover, they move from the back of the room towards the door.

What, you mean like insects do?

I'm looking for the one that appears over her head. When I find it I'll post. Just do me a favor and look closely. Dust eventually falls. And again there are no fans or strong air currents in the room.

Say WHAT?  It's DUST, it only needs a tiny micro-current.

Seriously,. you need to let go of your need for this to be 'special'.  It just isn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2021 at 7:31 PM, moonman said:

What seems to be happening is the woman is moving a little in bed and setting off the movement sensor - she's still moving in at least one of the videos. By the time the camera turns on, she's done moving and you then pick up the dust wafting by and want to blame that dust for setting off the camera in the first place.

Easy way to prove that right or wrong is to have a camera that runs constantly next to the one that goes off from motion, and compare timestamps of the results.

@Nicewonder Yes, try that or you could try to capture the same orbs from a different angle or location and compare the footage. If possible try moving the same camera and angling it towards where the orbs were and see if you capture something different. Different camera systems and lenses may have different sensitivities. This may also save an expense. Up to you what you decide to do, but I really do think it would be worth experimenting with your system somehow to get accurate footage results for your orb questions.

They do look like other videos of dust specs I have caught myself or seen on the internet. Something similar to light flares or bokeh. People sometimes even photoshop these in for effect. In older phone photographs I used to always get those green dots when the sun was in the background. I was told it meant good luck or that some cybersecurity was watching you. Who knows? Either way I kept the photos because I liked the lighting effect. Most likely a natural and physical explanation due to lighting and technology.

Edited by smanthaonvaca
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 1:24 AM, jmccr8 said:

I don't know why are our bodies so big for such a small soul:huh:

How do you think we will all fit in heaven ;)

• Haha 3

I think I am going to empty the vaccum filter and put some dust particles in the air. Would that help us narrow anything down? 

• Haha 2

On 1/30/2021 at 1:33 AM, Nicewonder said:

I think I am going to empty the vaccum filter and put some dust particles in the air. Would that help us narrow anything down? 

While you are certainly welcome to try, I'd have to ask what you are trying to explain?  The imagery you've presented looks exactly like bugs and dust look like when captured by a small-sensor, IR LED equipped camera.

And how exactly would you control it?  To 'duplicate' the footage will be impossible, unless you have dust and bugs of every size, micro and macro air currents that exactly match those for the events in question, and bugs that cooperate by following the paths that their long gone friends did...

In other words, you will never exactly or even closely match the original imagery, except in a vague and subjective (and thus undebatable) way.  If you really want to believe that it is paranormal, nothing is likely to change your mind, no matter how close.

BTW, it's not a good idea to spray old dust around.  If any of it contains bacteria, that will likely have been multiplying in the dust canister/bag.  If you do this, use protective head gear at a bare minimum.

• Like 2

Looks like dust to me. But 99.99999999% of orb videos are either dust or bugs, occasionally hair, spiderwebs or floating lent. 

• Like 3

On 1/29/2021 at 10:33 AM, Nicewonder said:

Yeah, it would narrow down just how angry your ODC about bugs and dust mom can get when you purposely empty a vacuum filter out. If you want to try to be more sure it isn't bugs or dust, what you plan is the opposite of what you should do. Learn how to run a laboratory clean room, then try doing that to your house. You will have less bugs and dust, and your mom might be happy about it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I am new here, but I have recently lost my mom to Covid on 1-14-2021.  My husband also has stage 4 cancer.  So my life sucks and I’m heartbroken, bc I will probably be losing him in the next few months and have three kids. But here is my story.  I’ve been cleaning out her apartment by myself and on February 14 till February 15th 2:00a.m exactly, I was taking pictures.  When I went to take pictures it would get all hazy and things like little comets or sperm would come towards me and the camera,  well I couldn’t see anything bc the lightsbthat were in her master bedroom and guest bedroom were lamps and everything was taken out of apartment. (No ceiling lights) I know the next question coming is why was I taking pictures?  Well for my security deposit back.  Well I caught some weird **** in my pictures.  I couldn’t see it when taking them except one thing and I had retaken within 30 seconds, bc I was like you didn’t paint the wall.  Then I took the picture again and I thought it was gone.  Well it was gone off the wall but it was on the floor.  Which is carpeted in both bedrooms.  So on my Birthday February 24th, I wanted to go back, but no one would go with me. (They were 2 nervous and scared)   So I went by myself again on February 25th. ( **** I was creeped out as well) Well I got there and called for my mother.  And didn’t feel anything.  I kept going to the two bedrooms.  Well after 45 minutes of talking to her, asking her to come.  I felt a difference in the air.  Heat was shut off and no lights in bedrooms.  I must have taken 200 photos, even switched the camera to myself like a selfie, hoping that nothing was behind me.  Well I got more photos, of the same stuff I got before and then some.  I actually have a ghostly picture of a woman.  I can’t say for sure if it’s my mom or not.  I does resemble her eyes.  But I sent to two different mediums and they both said there is more than one.  There are several.  I never knew what orbs or rods were.  All I knew about was ghosts, spirits.   But I will tell you my dad passed away 12-15-2007 and on 12-24-07 he started without electricity, scaring me and my kids.  He was doing electrical crap at my brothers house, who was afraid to tell me what was going on at his house.  I also never shared what was going on at mine.  But I experienced what I experienced, not once but twice at the same place my moms apartment. Believe me I was skeptical, but after the second time, I’m a believer.  I would love to share the pictures with you all. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1