Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Question on the Schoyen Collection

Hanslune

https://www.schoyencollection.com/history-collection-introduction/babylonian-history-collection/tower-babel-stele-ms-2063

tower-babel-stele-ms-2063_l.jpg

ETEMENANKI: ZIKKURAT BABIBLI: "THE HOUSE, THE FOUNDATION OF HEAVEN AND EARTH, ZIGGURAT IN BABYLON". CAPTION IDENTIFYING THE GREAT ZIGGURAT OF BABYLON, THE TOWER OF BABEL. THE ROYAL INSCRIPTION OF NEBUCHADNEZZAR CONTINUES: NEBUCHADNEZZAR, KING OF BABYLON AM I - IN ORDER TO COMPLETE E-TEMEN-ANKI AND E-UR-ME-IMIN-ANKI I MOBILIZED ALL COUNTRIES EVERYWHERE, EACH AND EVERY RULER WHO HAD BEEN RAISED TO PROMINENCE OVER ALL THE PEOPLE OF THE WORLD – LOVED BY MARDUK, FROM THE UPPER SEA TO THE LOWER SEA, THE DISTANT NATIONS, THE TEEMING PEOPLE OF THE WORLD, KINGS OF REMOTE MOUNTAINS AND FAR-FLUNG ISLANDS – THE BASE I FILLED IN TO MAKE A HIGH TERRACE. I BUILT THEIR STRUCTURES WITH BITUMEN AND BAKED BRICK THROUGHOUT. I COMPLETED IT RAISING ITS TOP TO THE HEAVEN, MAKING IT GLEAM BRIGHT AS THE SUN

What the story on this?

Came across this and oddly am busy today something I haven't been for months - so thought I put it up for the bright and beautiful to comment on.

• Like 3

Well, there's more description and discussion in the original link.

The link also adds: 

For the only other known architect's plan of a known temple, see MS 3031.

That particular link isn't quite working as I think it should; but, as regards architectural drawings, I found this on the same site.

I thought they might also have mentioned this (for an image of the relevant plan itself, see here.)

Now, if only there were similar architectural drawings for some OK sites ...

• Thanks 4

6 hours ago, Windowpane said:

Well, there's more description and discussion in the original link.

The link also adds: 

That particular link isn't quite working as I think it should; but, as regards architectural drawings, I found this on the same site.

I thought they might also have mentioned this (for an image of the relevant plan itself, see here.)

Now, if only there were similar architectural drawings for some OK sites ...

B2GMjgSCcAA5Eau?format=jpg&name=small

I have been a fan of the Gudea statues for a long time but this is the first instance of seeing what was sitting on his lap  - the plans for a temple.

Many thanks for looking into this.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 3

That's an odd orientation for a temple plan... Is it a half wing of a full?

~

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

That's an odd orientation for a temple plan... Is it a half wing of a full?

~

Yes I was wondering if it was instead a plan for a useful kitchen gadget or perhaps a diagram for a mammoth diaper.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Yes I was wondering if it was instead a plan for a useful kitchen gadget or perhaps a diagram for a mammoth diaper.

There's another clearer picture from the link...

It looks lopsided but the entrances even numbers ...

B2GMjfkCEAABobb?format=jpg&name=medium

~

• Like 2

I have been a fan of the Gudea statues for a long time but this is the first instance of seeing what was sitting on his lap  - the plans for a temple. (Hanslune)

I'm sure you'll have come across the Gudea cylinders - including a brief account of the dream where a goddess with a golden stylus orders him to lay out a temple aligned with various stars.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Windowpane said:

I'm sure you'll have come across the Gudea cylinders - including a brief account of the dream where a goddess with a golden stylus orders him to lay out a temple aligned with various stars.

The big dipper? 

~

30 minutes ago, Windowpane said:

Yes I remember them from Kramer but I had not thought of them in some time! Thanks for the reminder. I studied Mayan culture from 72-78, Bronze age Levant cultures 79-88 (Cyprus primarily), 'Other' from 89-94,Mesopotamian 95-05, 06-12 Egypt.

• Like 1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2GMjfkCEAABobb?format=jpg&name=medium

Why have a "temple" with 6 dual-tower protected gates ?
Looks more like the plan view of a walled town or fortified enclosure, for whatever was to be built inside.  If it followed the common theme for that type of enclosure, the side with the three gates might face the canal/river (which afforded its own protection);
and the opposite side with the impressive serekh facade, long defensive parapet, and one gate flanked by dual watchtowers would face the hinterland.
The twin-towered gates on either narrow end of the protective enclosure would also be handy for royal processions and garbage trucks.

The two additional forms at upper right and lower left corners could be additional, taller towers to view up and down the waterway, or maybe  sheds for the garden tools and ATV ?