Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Building a floating habitat around Ceres

Eldorado

According to Janhunen's proposal, each cylinder of the Ceres megasatellite would produce its own gravity through rotation; each cylindrical habitat would measure about 6.2 miles (10 kilometers) long, have a radius of 0.6 miles (1 km) and complete a full rotation every 66 seconds to generate the centrifugal force needed to simulate Earth-like gravity.

A single cylinder could comfortably hold about 57,000 people, Janhunen said, and would be held in place next to its neighboring cylinders through powerful magnets, like those used in magnetic levitation.

That interconnectedness points to the other big advantage of megasatellite living, Janhunen said: New habitat cylinders could be added onto the edges of the colony indefinitely, allowing for near unlimited expansion.

Full monty at Live Science: Link

Terraforming the dwarf planet:Interconnected and growable Ceres megasatellite world.

PDF at ArxIV

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

57,000 people in 6.2 miles is too dense a population in my opinion, but the idea is interesting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

57,000 people in 6.2 miles is too dense a population in my opinion, but the idea is interesting.

Hi Desertrat

6.5 miles long 1/2 a mile diameter is a lot of space likely more crowded than I like but when one thinks about Hong Kong or Tokyo it does seem doable.

jmccr8

5 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Desertrat

6.5 miles long 1/2 a mile diameter is a lot of space likely more crowded than I like but when one thinks about Hong Kong or Tokyo it does seem doable.

jmccr8

But these designers are in Norway.  Is it that crowded in Norway too?  I can't see how it could be healthy, considering everyone is living in a tin can it would be bad to be crowded.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

But these designers are in Norway.  Is it that crowded in Norway too?  I can't see how it could be healthy, considering everyone is living in a tin can it would be bad to be crowded.

Hi Desertrat

Not sure if being in Norway is much of a barrier as here in N.America we have people building dwellings out of 1 seacan so we have people all over the world designing small living spaces and yes people will not have possessions like they do now but do expect that there will be a lot of built in incorporated into the design.

I am not disagreeing with you as to how I live now and the space I have to live in.

jmccr8

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Desertrat

Not sure if being in Norway is much of a barrier as here in N.America we have people building dwellings out of 1 seacan so we have people all over the world designing small living spaces and yes people will not have possessions like they do now but do expect that there will be a lot of built in incorporated into the design.

I am not disagreeing with you as to how I live now and the space I have to live in.

jmccr8

Well, I feel crazy when I have neighbors so close I can hear them breathe like in some apartments.   And I noticed that in the large cities where people live in huge, tall apartment buildings, everyone is on edge and somewhat irrational, but where I live now, lots of room for everyone, though in some parts of the city there are a lot of apartments, the irrational people stand out like a sore thumb.   Everyone has something that triggers their stuff but the closer you pack people together the more triggers there are per person.    Living in a small space is not what I was talking about, it was living packed close together in a tin can, where you can't even take a drive to the country to blow the cobwebs out.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

the biggest problem I see.. is all the stuff needed to feed them and process the waste... putting people is a thing, supporting them is another.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Eldorado said:

According to Janhunen's proposal, each cylinder of the Ceres megasatellite would produce its own gravity through rotation; each cylindrical habitat would measure about 6.2 miles (10 kilometers) long, have a radius of 0.6 miles (1 km) and complete a full rotation every 66 seconds to generate the centrifugal force needed to simulate Earth-like gravity.

A single cylinder could comfortably hold about 57,000 people, Janhunen said, and would be held in place next to its neighboring cylinders through powerful magnets, like those used in magnetic levitation.

That interconnectedness points to the other big advantage of megasatellite living, Janhunen said: New habitat cylinders could be added onto the edges of the colony indefinitely, allowing for near unlimited expansion.

Full monty at Live Science: Link

Terraforming the dwarf planet:Interconnected and growable Ceres megasatellite world.

PDF at ArxIV

They have taken the design from Gundam !

https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/Heliopolis

I'm still waiting for all those advancements in technology and science that were put forth in 1960's in Popular Science Magazine.