Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The mystery of 'Long COVID'

Eldorado

This is an important issue that has been avoided by those pretending that COVID-19 only kills a few elderly people and that lock downs should only apply to those at risk.

The long haulers were the original source of the idea of reinfection. It is these long haulers that had recurring bouts of the symptoms that early on claimed they were infected again, sometimes only a month after their original infection. 

Studies of patients showed that many did have lingering, objectively observable issues.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

From what I've been reading from articles and the long haulers on Reddit it looks like Long Covid might be the immune system not shutting off. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/21/2021 at 9:07 AM, spartan max2 said:

From what I've been reading from articles and the long haulers on Reddit it looks like Long Covid might be the immune system not shutting off. 

The virus integrates itself into the host, and it partially reengineers parts of us. Our immune system can see the left-over fingerprints. There are parts and pieces  of the virus scattered all over the place. It’s like an EF5 tornado has hit, in some cases.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2021 at 11:49 PM, acute said:

Long Covid is no fun.

I'm sorry you're suffering from this. Do you mind telling us what the symptoms are? Or if anyone else here has Long Covid, would you mind describing it to us, please?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ouija ouija said:

Do you mind telling us what the symptoms are?

My symptoms are numerous. They come and go, and overlap. On average, three symptoms every day. I rarely get a Covid-free day.

I will probably miss a few off the list, but here goes.....

Headache, brain fog, sticky/ painful eyes, dayglo orange ear-wax, tinnitus, runny nose (almost always), sore throat, heart/ chest pain, lethargy, general aches & pains, clumsiness, dizziness, sudden chills, diarrhœa, etc, etc.

Strangely, no cough at all!

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, acute said:

My symptoms are numerous. They come and go, and overlap. On average, three symptoms every day. I rarely get a Covid-free day.

Headache, brain fog, sticky/ painful eyes, dayglo orange ear-wax, tinnitus, runny nose (almost always), sore throat, heart/ chest pain, lethargy, general aches & pains, clumsiness, dizziness, sudden chills, diarrhœa, etc, etc.

Have you seen a doctor or are you stoically putting up with this in the hope it will eventually go away?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Have you seen a doctor or are you stoically putting up with this in the hope it will eventually go away?

I haven't mentioned it to my GP.

There's no test for it, and there's no treatment for it. All they do is send you for cardiovascular workouts!

I'm hoping my vaccine (8 days ago) will help.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, acute said:

BTW..... Did you like the "œ"?

;)

Oh, in diarrhoea? I didn't notice it but now you've pointed it out . . . . please tell me how to do it as it irks me every time I type homeopathy without it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, acute said:

How long have you been long hauling?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

From what I've been reading, once again just from the Reddit stories, are that people are getting frustrated with Doctors because they will do some test on your heart and lungs and often not find anything so they just tell you you have anxiety. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

How long have you been long hauling?

I had mild Covid in May, and the symptoms slowly came back from July onwards.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

Oh, in diarrhoea? I didn't notice it but now you've pointed it out . . . . please tell me how to do it as it irks me every time I type homeopathy without it.

I only used the "œ" for entertainment purposes. I usually just spell it the American way:  'diarrhea'.

This link explains the special characters better than I could.....

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/insert-ascii-or-unicode-latin-based-symbols-and-characters-d13f58d3-7bcb-44a7-a4d5-972ee12e50e0

.....and there's a link to the character codes also.

If you're still on a desktop PC, the Character Map is the easiest way.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Homœopathy :D

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Homœopathy :D

Have you swallowed an encyclopædia?

• Haha 4

Related article....

A Stanford scientist's quest to cure his son could help unravel the mystery of Covid-19 long haulers

CNN

• Like 2

3 hours ago, acute said:

I had mild Covid in May, and the symptoms slowly came back from July onwards.

Has it seemed like it's improved any over time or sort of just the same?

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Has it seemed like it's improved any over time or sort of just the same?

About the same, really. Sometimes, I think it's going away, then I'm proven wrong.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Tonight: 'Dispatches - The Truth About Long Covid', Channel 4(UK), at 8pm. Just a half hour long programme but it's a start.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Tonight: 'Dispatches - The Truth About Long Covid', Channel 4(UK), at 8pm. Just a half hour long programme but it's a start.

Well damn! Looks like the only other website I can watch that episode on is Sky?

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/series/9d6486b2-d9e3-4a30-9912-86966d9d74a3/dispatches-9d6486b2-d9e3-4a30-9912-86966d9d74a3/episodes/season-0/episode-1

It seems like I have to download their app and open an account to watch it. I really don't want to do that just to watch that one episode. But I noticed they have tons of other Channel 4 Dispatches episodes on YouTube. Maybe someone will put that specific episode up on YouTube as well.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 9:52 AM, Eldorado said:

Throughout the coronavirus pandemic, public attention has mainly focused on the number of people who become severely ill and die from COVID-19. But what's become clear in recent months is the large and growing group of people who continue to deal with prolonged symptoms long after their original illness.

In a recent study posted on the preprint server medRxiv, analysis of an international survey of more than 3,700 respondents with COVID-19 found that over two-thirds were still experiencing numerous symptoms at 6 months, with significant impacts on patients' lives and livelihoods. Respondents with symptoms for more than 6 months said they are experiencing an average of nearly 14 symptoms across multiple organ systems.

Full article at University of Minnesota CIDRAP: Link

I wonder if it is because it's the fat and the ill that are overwhelmingly likely to die or get complications from this?

Then add in a nasty little virus and suddenly it is is straw that broke the camels back.

It is one reason why we need to get populatuons out in fresh air, mask free and losing weight.

Then look at boosting metabolism.

It is known who gets hit the worst. Why isn't it being used to develop health. Too little money in keeping people healthy?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

I wonder if it is because it's the fat and the ill that are overwhelmingly likely to die or get complications from this?

Then add in a nasty little virus and suddenly it is is straw that broke the camels back.

It is one reason why we need to get populatuons out in fresh air, mask free and losing weight.

Then look at boosting metabolism.

It is known who gets hit the worst. Why isn't it being used to develop health. Too little money in keeping people healthy?

Long hauling isn't exactly associated with how bad your initial infection was.

Alot of mild initial infections are long hauling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1