Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ulster bereaved demand full investigation

Eldorado

Some 3,500 relatives of people killed during the Northern Ireland conflict have urged the British and Irish governments to fully investigate the decades of violence.

They are seeking the long-delayed establishment of an independent team of detectives to pursue fresh prosecutions and other measures to recover information about what happened.

The families have written to Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Irish premier Micheal Martin calling for action awaited since a major political agreement in 2014.

They said: “We are writing to you as relatives bereaved during the conflict to seek your assurances that our human rights as victims will no longer be disregarded or denied.

“The peace process has repeatedly failed to deliver on our rights to truth, justice and accountability.”

Full report at the Belfast Telegraph: Link

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eldorado

• RAyMO

• Ozymandias

Popular Days

Yes, it is in the interests of justice, transparency and closure that this should be done. Let us not continue to hand on the baton of hurt and history to our children. Let us be responsible adults and resolve this issue now. 

47 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Yes, it is in the interests of justice, transparency and closure that this should be done. Let us not continue to hand on the baton of hurt and history to our children. Let us be responsible adults and resolve this issue now. 

easier said than done, both governments will be unwilling to admit to any 'dubious' actions on their parts - facilitating, obscuring, directing, etc.

also I am pretty sure that irrespective of the outcome supporters of protagonists on one side or the other or both will cry foul or whitewash or whatever. 

On a smaller point as a Nationalist I always find it strange when people refer to Northern Ireland as Ulster. Northern Ireland is only 6 counties of Ulster's 9. The remaining 3 being in the Republic of Ireland. 

Edited by RAyMO

16 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

On a smaller point as a Nationalist I always find it strange when people refer to Northern Ireland as Ulster. Northern Ireland is only 6 counties of Ulster's 9. The remaining 3 being in the Republic of Ireland. 

I couldn't fit "Northern Ireland" into the title and don't like using "NI".

(I imagine the "bereaved" come from all over the British Isles)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1