Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia could lose Google search engine

Eldorado

• 2 weeks later...

Google has agreed to pay Rupert Murdoch's News Corp for content from news sites across its media empire.

News Corporation said it would be sharing its stories in exchange for "significant payments".

Mr Murdoch has long called for Google and other internet platforms to pay media companies for their output.

bbc

• Like 1

How about Scotty from Marketing pulls his head out of Murdoch’s **** and MAKE GOOGLE AND FACEBOOK PAY THEIR TAX DEBT instead of this bull dust move about paying for articles.

HOWEVER..... hey Zuckerborg .... UP YOURS. We don’t bow to bullies. Ohh heaven forbid we go to somewhere else for our news. However will we cope.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Google with its amp pages also filters ads present in the original pages, so I do think Google is also guilty of this miss.

• Like 1

Facebook has blocked Australian users from sharing or viewing news content on the platform, causing much alarm over public access to key information.

It comes in response to a proposed law which would make tech giants pay for news content on their platforms.

Australians on Thursday woke up to find that Facebook pages of all local and global news sites were unavailable.

BBC report

• Like 2

1 hour ago, President Wearer of Hats said:

HOWEVER..... hey Zuckerborg .... UP YOURS. We don’t bow to bullies. Ohh heaven forbid we go to somewhere else for our news. However will we cope.

It doesn't make any sense with the ABC anyway; but, FarceBook is blocking ABC Emergency and health.gov.  They are now a socially irresponsible network.

• Like 1

So, Google is being treated the same way they treat YouTubers. Breaks my heart.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2021 at 3:26 AM, smanthaonvaca said:

"Others have questioned if the removal of the search engine would also remove Gmail, Google Maps and Google Home services - something the company has not made clear."

So I guess they have yet to decide on that.

"Australia's news industry is struggling. Of every A$100 (£56; $77) spent on digital advertising, A$81 goes to Google and Facebook. And Covid-19 has only made this worse.

With companies reducing their digital advertising spend, a number of outlets in Australia have been forced to close.

Google, by contrast, has been performing well. Last year the social media giant made almost $4bn from Australia, while paying $45m in tax.

Meanwhile, Australia's competition watchdog has accused both Facebook and Google of misleading Australian consumers about how their data is used, launching inquiries into digital advertising and the app stores market."

Seems like they want to transform the basic advertising model to reap more profit since they have lost income and market value. They know Google is loaded and want to redistribute the power and funding.

Most likely they will revoke their news services if this moves forward as AU requested. They will lose profit but perhaps it may significantly boost other services like duckduckgo.

"If Google withdrew its search engine, Australian internet users would be forced to use alternatives such as Microsoft's Bing, DuckDuckGo and Yahoo!"

I wonder if they will make a new deal with the companies because of how negatively AU would be impacted if there were not some sort of solution. Even if done temporarily as a covid relief to the country and then later revoked, the proposed model would set standards for others to request redistribution of funds and market control. Just because Google has the money doesn't necessarily mean they are willing to allocate it to that and risk a change in their advertising structure. If this doesnt happen AU may propose other ideas to change the market. 

There is a Hotel in Bosnia in the town of Visegrad. Google promotes it as a "Wellness Retreat". There are over 30 Thousand signed petitiones asking Google to remove it from their search engine since this Hotel was used in the 90' during the Bosnian war as a place were people were held captive, women were raped and killed. Google is refusing to take it down and it is still promoted as a wellness center.

Money over truth and dignity.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, odas said:

There is a Hotel in Bosnia in the town of Visegrad. Google promotes it as a "Wellness Retreat". There are over 30 Thousand signed petitiones asking Google to remove it from their search engine since this Hotel was used in the 90' during the Bosnian war as a place were people were held captive, women were raped and killed. Google is refusing to take it down and it is still promoted as a wellness center.

It's no longer the 90's, and I doubt the Hotel is being used for those purposes NOW.  So why blacklist it ? 

5 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

It doesn't make any sense with the ABC anyway; but, FarceBook is blocking ABC Emergency and health.gov.  They are now a socially irresponsible network.

Now? you think this is something new?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

It's no longer the 90's, and I doubt the Hotel is being used for those purposes NOW.  So why blacklist it ? 

Unbelievable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, odas said:

Considering that this happened as recent as the 1990s and that they refuse to tell customers about the history of the property, it should be removed. I could understand if it were something of a lesser extent, like there was a single murder 50 years ago and the hotel posted publicly about "ghost sightings." This is different, especially when they try to censor the past. They should have it as a historic building regarding the incident and rename parts of it to honour the victims like one of the articles suggested, or simply knock it down and build a monument to honour the victims and their families.

I've noticed Google has a weird habit of pinpointing corruption and finding an abstract way to enable it. Perhaps they see profit in this tactic, but if negative aspects are praised, there is likely to be some sort of collapse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

There are some people who would probably go there figuring that they are supporting the historical significance of it. It could perhaps be used to rile people up to support the actions of the Serb paramilitary and the man who was just arrested in 2009. They are trying to censor the history of the hotel and surrounding towns.

It also mentions that some aspects of the hotel are the same, including some of the beds that women were raped in and the pool that people were killed in. Thats a little weird. At least they have over 25,000 signatures.

Edited by smanthaonvaca
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, smanthaonvaca said:

Considering that this happened as recent as the 1990s and that they refuse to tell customers about the history of the property, it should be removed. I could understand if it were something of a lesser extent, like there was a single murder 50 years ago and the hotel posted publicly about "ghost sightings." This is different, especially when they try to censor the past. They should have it as a historic building regarding the incident and rename parts of it to honour the victims like one of the articles suggested, or simply knock it down and build a monument to honour the victims and their families.

I've noticed Google has a weird habit of pinpointing corruption and finding an abstract way to enable it. Perhaps they see profit in this tactic, but if negative aspects are praised, there is likely to be some sort of collapse.

Sadly about 200 women were raped and killed and about 1000 went thru this place as civil prisoners. We were asking for a Sign to be put up there and maybe convert this hotel to a museum but the serbian government declined it many times. So we went to Google to explain why not to promote it but no succsses with them either.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, smanthaonvaca said:

There are some people who would probably go there figuring that they are supporting the historical significance of it. It could perhaps be used to rile people up to support the actions of the Serb paramilitary and the man who was just arrested in 2009. They are trying to censor the history of the hotel and surrounding towns.

It also mentions that some aspects of the hotel are the same, including some of the beds that women were raped in and the pool that people were killed in. Thats a little weird. At least they have over 25,000 signatures.

Thank you. Looks like you did your research.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, odas said:

Thank you. Looks like you did your research.

I tried looking to see if there are any international historical preservation non profits. I saw that the incident was on Amnesty's site at one time and is currently on Wiki. Perhaps an organization will notice at some date and fundraise money to place recognition of some type, at least I would hope.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I remember within the first year of having my Facebook when it became popular, I had someone friend me with the same last name as someone in my sailing group and I thought it was her, so I accepted. The account seemed pretty sketchy once I looked in to it and later I was warned about it being a cop. The person reached out to me to ask about drugs...

• Sad 2

22 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Google has agreed to pay Rupert Murdoch's News Corp for content from news sites across its media empire.

News Corporation said it would be sharing its stories in exchange for "significant payments".

Mr Murdoch has long called for Google and other internet platforms to pay media companies for their output.

bbc

It mentions nothing about paying smaller journalist organizations. I wonder if it will thin out competition. The large companies keep surpressing other sources and then buying them out. News Corp is massive, although I would place AT&T before them in terms of violations. WSJ isn't as bad as others considering that it has more in depth coverage and less bias. 

I wonder what other ideas they will come up with to redistribute monopolies. This concept is a bit tricky. I wonder how the actual detailed agreements would appear.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Would you like Aswitz as a tourist attraction?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I don't use Facebook for anything beyond light hearted banter with friends I can't see face-to-face.  I wouldn't even think to single out one news provider to follow.

I still don't get the lost revenue concerns of the Australian news media.  Customers pay to appear at the tope of Google search result.  Clicking on Google News you're effectively given the equivalent of default search results for the day.  Often they are from the ABC or SBS, which is already paid for by the tax-payer.  Where's the revenue leakage.  Many of the other links to Australian news media are behind a pay-wall anyway.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 10:04 AM, godnodog said:

Google with its amp pages also filters ads present in the original pages, so I do think Google is also guilty of this miess.

I ment mess

Edited by godnodog

On 2/18/2021 at 8:49 PM, Golden Duck said:

They went the simple route and blocked everything with a .gov.au address. 
Ohh and some writers because they sell their books via the ABC press. 
I mean, block Scotty all they want... but JACKIE FRENCH how dare you!

• Like 1