Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bigelow offers $1M for proof of an afterlife

UM-Bot

That is impossible.    How can you prove something exists unless you personally experience it??    If personally experience it, how can you tell anyone and give evidence about it?     There is only one person in the world is Eben alexander.     That is the closest I think anyone has come to really being there and come back, who also is a neuroscientist.  

http://ebenalexander.com/

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dreamer screamer said:

That is impossible.    How can you prove something exists unless you personally experience it??    If personally experience it, how can you tell anyone and give evidence about it?     There is only one person in the world is Eben alexander.     That is the closest I think anyone has come to really being there and come back, who also is a neuroscientist.  

I think there are ways to make it at least probable. There are doctors who since many years back have put text on the top of light tubes in operating rooms. Since people report that they are floating at the ceiling they should be able to read that text. I have never heard that anybody has been able to read it though.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dreamer screamer said:

It's sounds like he is going for "best evidence" not proven.

$500,000 will be given to the essay that provides the best evidence of "the survival of consciousness after permanent bodily death", while lesser prizes of $300,000 and $150,000 will be available to the second and third place winners.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fred_mc said:

I think there are ways to make it at least probable. There are doctors who since many years back have put text on the top of light tubes in operating rooms. Since people report that they are floating at the ceiling they should be able to read that text. I have never heard that anybody has been able to read it though.

You're thinking of the Aware study.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/276276172_AWARE_study_initial_results_are_published_--_Commentary

Pretty much no results were found either way because it ended up being a hard thing to gather data on.

Of the 2,060 cardiac arrests during the study, 140 patients survived and could be interviewed for the study. Of these, 101 patients had detailed interviews, which identified 9 patients who had an NDE. Of the 9 NDErs, two had detailed memories with awareness of the physical environment. One NDEr's experience was verified as accurate; the other was too ill for an in-depth interview. These two NDEs occurred in non-acute areas where no visual target was present, so further verification of visual awareness was not possible. Further study and, perhaps, a reassessment of the methodology and goals of the study are warranted.

Edited by spartan max2

15 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It's sounds like he is going for "best evidence" not proven.

Have you read his book?  Have you listened to him talk about what he went through?    I am betting the answer is no?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dreamer screamer said:

Have you read his book?  Have you listened to him talk about what he went through?    I am betting the answer is no?

No. I'm just quoting the article. I'm not really sure what your point is?

• Like 2

Does he mean he wants NEW evidence? What's whong with the Robert Snow's account? He was a sceptic police captain, until he had a PLR. Past life regression is something ANY sceptic can do, write down the facts from the transcript and check the data's validity in archives. There's your evidence.
Also anyone can repeat the Scole Experiment. No new evidence needed.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

No. I'm just quoting the article. I'm not really sure what your point is?

Get that alot. :rolleyes:

Try reading the book!!!    :whistle:

26 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

Get that alot. :rolleyes:

Try reading the book!!!    :whistle:

Okay. So clearly you are on a different topic.

With the 1 million reward you said that it is impossible to prove.

So I pointed out to you that OP guy is looking for "best evidence" not conclusive proof.

And then you trailed off about some guys NDE. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Okay. So clearly you are on a different topic.

With the 1 million reward you said that it is impossible to prove.

So I pointed out to you that OP guy is looking for "best evidence" not conclusive proof.

And then you trailed off about some guys NDE. 

Proving life exists after death is never going to be possible unless you believe that film: flatliners.      But coming close to is Eben alexander.   He is the closest anyone will ever come to NDE and an after life.   Could he claim the money?:no: Because it has to be tangiable. The after life is not tangiable!!  You can't touch the after life and what lays out there.  

54 minutes ago, Timothy said:

I’m curious as to why you’ve seen ‘many dead bodies’ close enough to ‘look into the eyes’?

:lol:    I've worked in a hairdressers........:devil:    No....worked in a hospital.

• Like 1

Proof of life after death:

maggots180804.jpg

Edited by Abramelin
  • Haha 3

Yeah it is not possible. We would have proven it by now if it was. Even if it was though it would not be information available to the public. 

I have had two situations where I nearly died. Once when I was a child and once when I was a teenager and went in to a deep sleep / coma type of thing and woke up. They told me it was way later than the date I thought it was when I woke up. 

You can chalk it up to science usually. Most commonly biology, psychology, physics, and chemistry can be used to explain theories. If not, then some other form of science will explain your questions. I had a weird experience before I woke up but there is no difference between that experience and any other normal dream. It was just a dream, and it wasn't real. I have never told anyone the details because it's stupid. Most NDE's are probably just dreams or imagination.

Edited by smanthaonvaca
  • Thanks 2

On 1/22/2021 at 7:02 AM, Dreamer screamer said:

Your post makes me think of something else I remember being brought up on the internet. 

The idea of uploading your consciousness into a computer and thereby living forever. How could anyone besides you, know that it's really you and not just a computer copy of you? Like if a friend of yours uploaded their self into a computer and then talks to you and says 'Hey, it's really me! You should try this!'. Of course it sounds like your friend, it may have all his memories and be very convincing, but you could never know it's actually him and not just a computer copy. You could only know if it's you when you try it. And you could never convince anyone else because of the same reason. You're existing all alone in that thing called your consciousness, you and you alone. 

11 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Your post makes me think of something else I remember being brought up on the internet. 

The idea of uploading your consciousness into a computer and thereby living forever. How could anyone besides you, know that it's really you and not just a computer copy of you? Like if a friend of yours uploaded their self into a computer and then talks to you and says 'Hey, it's really me! You should try this!'. Of course it sounds like your friend, it may have all his memories and be very convincing, but you could never know it's actually him and not just a computer copy. You could only know if it's you when you try it. And you could never convince anyone else because of the same reason. You're existing all alone in that thing called your consciousness, you and you alone. 

There is no proof that we have any technology like that today. For the positivity of your mental health I would hope that you believe that this is either a possibility of the future and is currently science fiction, or that you are just having fun philosophizing or joking.

9 minutes ago, smanthaonvaca said:

There is no proof that we have any technology like that today. For the positivity of your mental health I would hope that you believe that this is either a possibility of the future and is currently science fiction, or that you are just having fun philosophizing or joking.

"you are just having fun philosophizing or joking."

Not joking, philosophizing of course. I'm well aware we are no way near that technologically, even if it would one day be possible. Even the people discussing it were making no sort of claim we are even close to that being possible. It was more of a future 'what if' sort of thing.  I often am amazed when people think that AI is going to be taking our jobs and then enslaving us all next week, lol. Sure, just know what the current level of AI is. Think Alexa, I think we'll be OK for a long time.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 11:54 AM, UM-Bot said:

Entrepreneur Robert Bigelow is offering a $1M prize pot for the most compelling evidence of an afterlife.

your money is safe, Bob

8 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

"you are just having fun philosophizing or joking."

Not joking, philosophizing of course. I'm well aware we are no way near that technologically, even if it would one day be possible. Even the people discussing it were making no sort of claim we are even close to that being possible. It was more of a future 'what if' sort of thing.  I often am amazed when people think that AI is going to be taking our jobs and then enslaving us all next week, lol. Sure, just know what the current level of AI is. Think Alexa, I think we'll be OK for a long time.

It is interesting to consider. AI development underway is certainly very advanced but not all of it is currently being used. The technology is methodologically released so that humans grow exponentially with it. Currently there is some technology that most people cant catch up with but it is not causing destruction. The people behind the psychology of media technology does more of that than the actual technology itself, similar to the person or structure of society behind a person holding a gun. The computer is not guilty, but the hacker is. You cannot put a computer in jail but perhaps in the far future we may be putting robots in jail.

I dont think that job theft will cause complete chaos. Perhaps other consequences will follow but the concept of a war or enslavement following that is a very slim possibility and the fear behind the suddenly explosive tech advancement is more likely fear mongering that some people feed in to from propaganda and entertainment.

On 1/22/2021 at 6:54 AM, UM-Bot said:

Entrepreneur Robert Bigelow is offering a $1M prize pot for the most compelling evidence of an afterlife.

There was a joke about a guy who walked into a bar with the same offer. 

Punchline is a guy shoots him, takes the money and says " You'll know shortly"

Ok... its not that funny but, anyway 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, smanthaonvaca said:

It is interesting to consider. AI development underway is certainly very advanced but not all of it is currently being used. The technology is methodologically released so that humans grow exponentially with it. Currently there is some technology that most people cant catch up with but it is not causing destruction. The people behind the psychology of media technology does more of that than the actual technology itself, similar to the person or structure of society behind a person holding a gun. The computer is not guilty, but the hacker is. You cannot put a computer in jail but perhaps in the far future we may be putting robots in jail.

I dont think that job theft will cause complete chaos. Perhaps other consequences will follow but the concept of a war or enslavement following that is a very slim possibility and the fear behind the suddenly explosive tech advancement is more likely fear mongering that some people feed in to from propaganda and entertainment.

As far as real AI, it simply does not exist. The development, while much progress has been made, is still in it's infancy. People like Elon Musk and others talking about being concerned about AI taking over, are just talking BS, period. Or, when it does finally arrive, some people would love to be the ones controlling it, just to keep us all safe from killer robots. The job theft has been occurring for a very long time, since the industrial revolution started. But it's mostly because of automation, AI is far off on the horizon. I remember when I was still completing my Compsci degree. One of my profs told me not to go into programming because by the time I finished my degree, there would be no more programmers being hired anywhere. Because all programming would already be done and it would just be cut and paste using simple programs like Word or Excel by end users. LOL, I sure am glad I never listened to that guy!  When  AI can deal with human clients, I'll start to get worried. Alexa is is just not going to cut it.

4 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

As far as real AI, it simply does not exist. The development, while much progress has been made, is still in it's infancy. People like Elon Musk and others talking about being concerned about AI taking over, are just talking BS, period. Or, when it does finally arrive, some people would love to be the ones controlling it, just to keep us all safe from killer robots. The job theft has been occurring for a very long time, since the industrial revolution started. But it's mostly because of automation, AI is far off on the horizon. I remember when I was still completing my Compsci degree. One of my profs told me not to go into programming because by the time I finished my degree, there would be no more programmers being hired anywhere. Because all programming would already be done and it would just be cut and paste using simple programs like Word or Excel by end users. LOL, I sure am glad I never listened to that guy!  When  AI can deal with human clients, I'll start to get worried. Alexa is is just not going to cut it.

AI is still young but what umbrella would you consider individuals like Sophia under? Robotics? I do feel that it could potentially be considered AI. Here is another example:

https://roboticsandautomationnews.com/2021/01/11/hyundai-unveils-mobile-service-robot-for-restaurants/39406/

I was going to say that I cant believe they told you that but I have actually heard a decent amount of teachers say some demotivational things so that doesnt surprise me much haha... It was obviously untrue!