Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Under God was added by a Scottish preacher

Desertrat56

I found this article interesting and informative as I knew the "under god" part of the pledge had not been added until 1950's.   Here is why it was added and how we were influenced by british thinking.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2018/06/14/the-gripping-sermon-that-got-under-god-added-to-the-pledge-of-allegiance-on-flag-day/

“I pledge allegiance to my flag and the Republic for which it stands — one Nation indivisible — with liberty and justice for all.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I found this article interesting and informative as I knew the "under god" part of the pledge had not been added until 1950's.   Here is why it was added and how we were influenced by british thinking.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2018/06/14/the-gripping-sermon-that-got-under-god-added-to-the-pledge-of-allegiance-on-flag-day/

“I pledge allegiance to my flag and the Republic for which it stands — one Nation indivisible — with liberty and justice for all.”

Bellamy knew he would need a salute to the flag. He felt strongly that a pledge should invoke allegiance, especially so soon after the Civil War. His original pledge read:

What flag though, as there are two flags?

Edited by Dreamer screamer

On 1/22/2021 at 7:07 AM, Desertrat56 said:

Interesting. I had heard it was added much later, and is why some won't say it. My question is usually, "Why don't you say it without the "under god", then? To which they usually just squint and glare angrily.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Interesting. I had heard it was added much later, and is why some won't say it. My question is usually, "Why don't you say it without the "under god", then? To which they usually just squint and glare angrily.

Yeah.  I don't have a problem saying it and I can interpret the "under god" however I wish.  I just thought it is interesting Who lead the crusade to get it in the pledge, a scottish minister who wanted things to be like they were in Scotland, and no one questioned him.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, clare256 said:

I thought it was a compromise when they passed the law making school prayer illegal.

Nope.   School Prayer is not illegal.  Any religious training is illegal in public schools but anyone is allowed to say a prayer and prayers are often said at graduations and sporting events.   There is not compromise with that, religion is not allowed to be part of government, which public school is a program of government.  If you research how things evolved in the UK you would understand why.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2021 at 9:36 AM, Desertrat56 said:

Nope.   School Prayer is not illegal.  Any religious training is illegal in public schools but anyone is allowed to say a prayer and prayers are often said at graduations and sporting events.   There is not compromise with that, religion is not allowed to be part of government, which public school is a program of government.  If you research how things evolved in the UK you would understand why.

The U.S. Supreme Court banned school-sponsored prayer in public schools in a 1962 decision, saying that it violated the First Amendment. But students are allowed to meet and pray on school grounds as long as they do so privately and don't try to force others to do the same.

14 minutes ago, clare256 said:

The U.S. Supreme Court banned school-sponsored prayer in public schools in a 1962 decision, saying that it violated the First Amendment. But students are allowed to meet and pray on school grounds as long as they do so privately and don't try to force others to do the same.

Here are the details and it has to do with FORCED prayer in schools.   There was no compromise that you mentioned beforebecause what the NY public school system was doing was blurring the lines of church and state.

"Engel v. Vitale, 370 U.S. 421 (1962), was a landmark United States Supreme Court case in which the Court ruled that it is unconstitutional for state officials to compose an official school prayer and encourage its recitation in public schools."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engel_v._Vitale

P.S. Clare, you could have figured that out by looking at the dates that the "under god" happened and the supreme court ruling.   Pay attention to the details.  (yes, I am the cranky school marm type, people need to learn how to think)  And my converstation with you is about your assumption of compromise.   

Edited by Desertrat56

On 1/22/2021 at 3:07 PM, Desertrat56 said:

Just as strange is if you read the original declaration of independence the USA is the United States For America, not of America.

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Here are the details and it has to do with FORCED prayer in schools.   There was no compromise that you mentioned beforebecause what the NY public school system was doing was blurring the lines of church and state.

"Engel v. Vitale, 370 U.S. 421 (1962), was a landmark United States Supreme Court case in which the Court ruled that it is unconstitutional for state officials to compose an official school prayer and encourage its recitation in public schools."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engel_v._Vitale

P.S. Clare, you could have figured that out by looking at the dates that the "under god" happened and the supreme court ruling.   Pay attention to the details.  (yes, I am the cranky school marm type, people need to learn how to think)  And my converstation with you is about your assumption of compromise.   

You're assuming that I was making an assumption . . . I was not. I was mearly stating what I had been told by my late mother, my assumption was that she knew what she was talking about as she was also a school mare. Why is it people on this site are such arrogant you know what.

1 minute ago, clare256 said:

You're assuming that I was making an assumption . . . I was not. I was mearly stating what I had been told by my late mother, my assumption was that she knew what she was talking about as she was also a school mare. Why is it people on this site are such arrogant you know what.

I don't know about anyone else, but yes, I am arrogant and you did make an assumption, just not the one I chastised you for.   I am sorry to insult your mother but she was wrong OR you misunderstood something she said.  There was no Compromise.   I apologize for getting fixated on that word, but it makes a big difference to how you understand  the subject.  None of us knows everything.  A lot of things that come up here that I don't agree with or have never heard before, I research, and sometimes I learn something new and sometimes I find someone is inaccurate, polarized, confused or misunderstanding something.  When I am wrong I admit it and it irks me that we have the types of conversations where one person gets emotional or defensive about something.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 1:19 AM, DieChecker said:

It's strange that you talk to so many people that don't say it.  Do you befriend many grade school children?  They are the only ones I know that say it on a daily basis (yes, my children's school still does it.)  Who are these people that you talk to that are in a group reciting it and won't, and that glare at you with your response?  Where are they even standing in front of a flag to say it at?

• Like 1

It's a term of edearemnt to a higher power than oneself, spiritualy.

5 hours ago, Agent0range said:

It's strange that you talk to so many people that don't say it.  Do you befriend many grade school children?  They are the only ones I know that say it on a daily basis (yes, my children's school still does it.)  Who are these people that you talk to that are in a group reciting it and won't, and that glare at you with your response?  Where are they even standing in front of a flag to say it at?

Not the general people, but people I'm talking with and the point comes up, and ill ask if they would say it. Almost everyone knows it. Though here in Oregon, I believe its been made optional to each school. 

Flags? Not sure about where you live, but even here in Uber liberal Oregon there are flags all about.

• Like 1