Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nuclear weapons are illegal at last

Eldorado

An international treaty banning all nuclear weapons that has been signed by 51 countries and that campaigners hope will help raise the profile of global deterrence efforts comes into force on Friday.

Although in some respects the step is largely symbolic because the world’s nuclear powers have not signed up, the treaty will be legally binding on the smaller nations that have endorsed it, and it is backed by the UN leadership.

The treaty on the prohibition of nuclear weapons (TPNW) outlaws the creation, ownership and deployment of nuclear weapons by signatory states and places obligations on them to assist other victims of nuclear weapons use and testing.

Full Jan 21 article at the UK Guardian: Link

As of 22 January 2021, 86 states have signed the Treaty and 52 states have ratified or acceded to it.

Wikipedia

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Meridian O said:

All small things can easily be stomped out by the bigger things.

Nuclear weapons (and energy) started with a Polish woman in Paris, who wanted to be the first to discover a new element.
This is a stronger start, compared to Madam Curie, so the odds are better.
She ended up discovering two elements, btw.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, zep73 said:

Nuclear weapons (and energy) started with a Polish woman in Paris, who wanted to be the first to discover a new element.
This is a bigger start, compared to Madam Curie, so the odds are better.
She ended up discovering two elements, btw.

Whatever!!! :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Well, a step in the right direction but they've already said none of the nuclear powers have even signed up, yet. Depends who wants to break the law and who doesn't. It's easy to do for smaller countries, I suppose, an easy decision to outlaw nuclear weapons if your government either can't afford or has no desire to procure any. For nuclear powers, however... Yea, good luck, and I'm sure those weapons will be 'disposed of' properly when asked... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thing is, a big percentage of the nuclear arsenal across the world either isn't reliable enough to work properly or doesn't work at all under present technological standards. 

And worse, the geniuses of the day had no backup plans for what happens next if or there's a possibility of peace in the world. 

~

• Thanks 2

Oh, that's just wonderful. Now what am I going to do with my brand new Acme Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator I got for Christmas?<_<

4 hours ago, Eldorado said:

An international treaty banning all nuclear weapons that has been signed by 51 countries

the world’s nuclear powers have not signed up

Okay...so there we have it.  smh.... a nothingburger...you know what a wish sandwich is right?  Two pieces of bread and you wish you had something to put between them.

• Like 1