Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What religion does to your brain

jmccr8

See, now you all know what true religion can do to your brain :lol:

12 hours ago, joc said:

The premise is wrong.  I would gather that it is wholly wrong...neurophysiological effects are not scientific facts and nothing neurological in that sense can be accurately measured.

But it is wrong also because it states...Religious Belief.  Belief is belief.  There is virtually no difference between Religious Belief, Political Belief, or Societal Belief. None.

Not to mention a lot of people meditate without any religion in mind.  It is not religious belief, it is a practice or way of thinking.

• Like 6

"Be exceedingly glad"

Just now, Will Do said:

See, now you all know what true religion can do to your brain :lol:

Yeah, we can clearly see what it has done to yours, whatever that's left of it for your God to ferment on

~

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

I believe you are dead right in your second point, but wrong in your first.

Science and technology has now advanced enough for us to observe the neurological /physiological processes and connections,  including thoughts and emotions, inside a  human brain,  under laboratory conditions 

As long as nuerologists insist that consciousness resides wholely in the brain nuerological science is wrong or at the very least mostly wrong.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, third_eye said:

Yeah, we can clearly see what it has done to yours, whatever that's left of it for your God to ferment on

~

Pickled by the juices of religion urantia.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

What religion does to your brain? It certainly makes you a better man it shows you values which can help you living a healthy and better life, happy with yourself as well with your beloved Neighbors. Problem is when man does bad things in the name of the religion, it's actions in the name of religion becomes a religion within itself and this is how perception is being skewed.

What religion are you talking about?  

• Like 2

Well I can see this thread going out in a blaze of glory not quite the quiet simple death I thought it would have had.

jmccr8

• Haha 1

Just now, jmccr8 said:

Well I can see this thread going out in a blaze of glory not quite the quiet simple death I thought it would have had.

jmccr8

I can't even take this **** seriously anymore... lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

"Happy are you when men shall revile you" :tu:

Please don't stop letting religion do something to your brain! It's way too enjoyable LOL

1 minute ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Right on cue... 

getty_457732382_200013842000928026_10344

~

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

jmccr8

Don't all of them end that way? Same people, same arguments. Too infinity and beyond.

• Like 3

Just now, Nuclear Wessel said:

Hi Nuke

I can take the oddball threads like this one but the oddballs that roll in to say nothing is what I can't take seriously.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Nuke

I can take the oddball threads like this one but the oddballs that roll in to say nothing is what I can't take seriously.:lol:

jmccr8

Yes Jay. It's what religion is doing to your brain LOL

3 minutes ago, Will Do said:

Yes Jay. It's what religion is doing to your brain LOL

As far as we know, Jay doesn't have a vagina... 

1. a dildo made by someone called will. 2. a dildo used by someone called will. 1. hey will can i buy one of your finely made ...

~

Do you know something we don't? 

Keep begging... 

~

• Haha 3

:lol:

2 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

tenor.gif

Welcome to the UM boobcast and today we have a triple boobie header.:lol:

Edited by jmccr8
forgot emoji just in case someone thinks I'm serious
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Will Do said:

"Happy are you when men shall revile you"

It looks like your trying to quote something meaningful here.  But, misquoting changes the meaning entirely.

Other users were commenting on your posts not you.  It's almost as if you committing the typical snowflake mistake of confusing actions witn the individual.

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

The prefrontal cortex is traditionally thought to be involved in executive control, or willful behavior, as well as decision-making. So, the researchers hypothesize, it would make sense that a practice that centers on relinquishing control would result in decreased activity in this brain area.

I originally meant to highlight this part.

I can definitely see how that would be beneifical to your emotions health. I'm curious if they would find similar things in people receiving therapy.

Alot of therapy is teaching people to let go of the things they can't control. 

Edit: Oh... Oh I see... This thread has already reverted to the sections typical homeostasis.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Oh... Oh I see... This thread has already reverted to the sections typical homeostasis.

perfectly-balanced---as-all-things-shoul

• Haha 3

As for the Nuns mentioned, it does make sense that saying repeated prayers either mentally or verbally would exercise that area of the brain. Same goes for those who use affirmations and mantras. 

I can see in a way that by "putting your problems in god's hands" would decrease decision making skills. As intentional action for creating a change in one's life has been negated. Because "God'll fix it". So no reason to motivate yourself to do anything constructive.

I think Davros has covered the neurochemical aspect of religion. There is no need for me to do it and he does it better anyways.

I will admit that I find the spiritual experience part rather interesting and it makes me wonder if there is a connection with it and supposed astral projection.

While I will admit that I do think there are some benefits to religion/spirituality, there are some pitfalls as well. Just like everything else. One being the idea of moral superiority and egocentrism. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1