Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What religion does to your brain

jmccr8

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091130151321.htm

Religious people tend to use their own beliefs as a guide in thinking about what God believes, but are less constrained when reasoning about other people's beliefs, according to new study published in the Nov. 30 early edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

https://www.psypost.org/2020/07/new-psychological-research-links-atheism-to-emotional-suppression-57490

“Belief or disbelief in the Unseen is often regarded as the foundation of people’s worldviews, and anger, pity, and the like are often directed at those whose worldviews don’t match our own. This new research points to a profound irony — that belief and disbelief themselves are shaped, in part, by what we do with our emotions,” said Christopher T. Burris, the author of the new study and professor of psychology at St. Jerome’s University.

Just to balance things out.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Will Do said:

Yours

So I'm God.

No wonder you're misquoting the Beatitudes.  You're a heretic!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

No wonder you're misquoting the Beatitudes

Took the words out of my text pad... 

~

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Will Do said:

"Happy are you when men shall revile you and persecute you and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely" :tu:

Toddler Struggles To Clean Up Tennis Balls – Find and Share Funny Animated  Gifs | Reddit funny, Funny babies, Funny gif

Will you seem to be having troubles moving forward in a discussion

MRW I realize Im stuck in a loop - GIF on Imgur

Maybe there will be a Will Do epiphany some time.

jmccr8

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Will Do said:

"Happy are you when men shall revile you and persecute you and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely" :tu:

Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.

Matthew 5:11

It's addressed to the followers of Jesus, explaining the consequence of following Jesus.  It's not a free pass to trolls, or worse.

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

It's addressed to the followers of Jesus

Yes. :tu:

Yes it is :D

Which makes me happy 

3 minutes ago, Will Do said:

Yes. :tu:

Yes it is :D

Which makes me happy 

Know one was, or is, reviling you for following Jesus.  That's prohibited even in this forum.

You been invited to engage beyond misquote and you invariably respond with trite obfuscations.

Even Jesus sat with the tax collectors.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Know one was, or is, reviling you for following Jesus.  

Thank you. :D

You been invited to engage beyond misquote and you invariably respond with trite obfuscations.

You know what's interesting about that?

One man's understanding is often another man's obfuscation, when engaging with others.

That's why I keep at it. Not because I'm not understood, but because in articulating what I'm thinking, I'm not being clear enough.

That isn't a sin is it?

Even Jesus sat with the tax collectors.

What religion does to my brain makes me happy.

Something tells me when it's true, the same thing happens to you.

Edited by Will Do

10 minutes ago, Will Do said:

Something tells me when it's true, the same thing happens to you.

That's pretty much the definition of cognitive bias.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hi Xeno

Guess there is a loophole in everything, I know I said I wouldn't quote you and did not want to go back on my word but I haven't quoted you so just wanted to thank you for giving a worthwhile add to the topic.:tu:

jmccr8

8 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

That's pretty much the definition of cognitive bias.

Aren't you biased to the truth?

To the best of your ability at least, that you're able to recognize something as being true.

Edited by Will Do

19 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

H Qx

That is debatable the majority of people in prisons are religious so I don't see much value in your position.

jmccr8

True

And yet in America the majority of prisoners only become religious  WHILE in prison  One accepted reason is that the nature of parole boards in America is  such that, statistically, you have a better chance of early parole if you  profess a deep religious conviction  (and show some evidence of it while incarcerated) 

48 minutes ago, Will Do said:

To the best of your ability at least, that you're able to recognize something as being true.

Hi Will

Well lets try this on for size You say you have a god so I would start with it is rue that Will believes that there is a god so I look for the evidence that Will's god exists I look up, down left right behind and around your back and can not see that your god exists. I am then left with I do not know if Will's god exists so I can neither assert that god does/does not exist so there is no truth other than a decision could not be made but the bonus point is that it is true that you believe. Nothing more nothing less.

So this really is not the topic of the tread so lets get back to the mind tricks of believing something as outlined in the OP link

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
spulling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Well lets try this on for size

A kindly reminder... 

1. a dildo made by someone called will. 2. a dildo used by someone called will. 1. hey will can i buy one of your finely made ...

~

• Haha 3

Using your brain is generally good for it.... whether that's prayer, meditation, or any sort of visualization?  or creative process?

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, lightly said:

Using your brain is generally good for it.... whether that's prayer, meditation, or any sort of visualization?  or creative process?

Hi Lightly 

Yes although the article seemed to want to interpret data in a specific way that was not necessarily factual in order to create a focus in the reader that it was directing them to see the data from their perspective 

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, lightly said:

Like thinking things through.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Guess there is a loophole in everything

A perfect belief does not exist as nothing at all is perfect. No one has the right reality model.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Like thinking things through.

I knew I'd forgotten something, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Is there a right reality tunnel if we all live different lives and have different experiences or are they just maybe incomplete in some sense?

jmccr8

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Is there a right reality tunnel if we all live different lives and have different experiences or are they just maybe incomplete in some sense?

jmccr8

The typical idea is that one way of viewing things is the right way. Some think their way of seeing things is the right way. However this is no one size fits all. None of us share the exact same beliefs, views, and opinions. So we can't really have one fully accepted way of thinking. This is the reason for some much conflict. If you want to really see this in action, spent time in the Covid and Political sections of UM. You'll also see pack mentality at play. 

You can quote me by the way. 

• Like 3

That was pretty much what I thought as well as for the political section I do read but do not engage there much because it is American political based discussions so really none of my business as a Canadian but yes know what you mean and have felt it's negative outpourings all over the forum. 

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
spulling
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Will Do said:

No. That would be my version of the truth not the real truth if I was to consider that.

Truth can be elusive. It can be hard to uncover. Bias is a terrible companion in that pursuit. It's a hindrance and it steers you in its own direction. 

What your saying there is you have figured out the ultimate questions. You have not. You have chosen to build a certain idea in your mind and believe in it. I could imagine hell as an awesome non stop party with the greatest bands Ive heard, whom would likely all be there too, bounds of gorgeous women all smitten with me and every delicacy and the best drinks in all of time and space. 

But that would be no more realistic than what you have been saying is the truth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

No. That would be my version of the truth not the real truth if I was to consider that.

What's the difference between your truth and the real truth?