Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What religion does to your brain

jmccr8

1 minute ago, Will Do said:

What's the difference between your truth and the real truth?

I'd be a complete and utter fool if I told myself what I made up was truth. That's beyond self delusion into open delusion. 

The difference is the real truth is something I learn, not create. That's what the thread is about. I don't delude myself into thinking what I decide is the truth. Nature decides and I listen. 

The real truth also doesn't have versions. It is what it is. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Will Do said:

What's the difference between your truth and the real truth?

Why do you only part quote so often?

I take it as a sign one is trying to manipulate a discussion which I see as underhanded. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Why do you only part quote so often?

I take it as a sign one is trying to manipulate a discussion which I see as underhanded. 

Just trying to get to the nitty gritty. 

3 minutes ago, Will Do said:

Hi Will

You have not responded to my last post to you are you too busy for me?

jmccr8

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I'd be a complete and utter fool if I told myself what I made up was truth. That's beyond self delusion into open delusion. 

The difference is the real truth is something I learn, not create. That's what the thread is about. I don't delude myself into thinking what I decide is the truth. Nature decides and I listen. 

The real truth also doesn't have versions. It is what it is. 

So like me, you know we as human beings are capable of learning the real truth. 

I have an idea how we're able to do that.

What's your idea?

Edited by Will Do

7 minutes ago, Will Do said:

Honestly, it never appears that way. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Will

You have not responded to my last post to you are you too busy for me?

jmccr8

No.

Sometimes I can't think of something to respond with. That's all.

9 minutes ago, Will Do said:

So like me, you know we as human beings are capable of learning the real truth. 

Incapable is exaggerated, humans suffer human error. A unique disability. One can learn if one can truly listen. Not to other people, but to nature. Nature has made a fool of man's proclamations more than once. 

I have an idea how we're able to recognize real truth. What's your idea?

Nature. It doesn't lie and provides as many examples as we could ask for to learn from. 

Pretty sure I already mentioned that.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

Incapable is exaggerated, humans suffer human error. A unique disability. One can learn if one can truly listen. Not to other men, but to nature. Nature has made a fool of man's proclamations more than once. 

I agree with you.

Nature. It doesn't lie and provides as many examples as we could ask for to learn from. 

Yes. That's true. 

As far as I'm concerned, the Spirit of Truth is a part of nature.

Pretty sure I already mentioned that.

It doesn't hurt to say things in different ways.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Will Do said:

I agree with you.

:tu:

Yes. That's true. 

As far as I'm concerned, the Spirit of Truth is a part of nature.

I'm not following will.

You're referring to spirit in the non material sense aren't you? The man made concept 

That doesn't exist in nature. As such, that's a conflict. 

It doesn't hurt to say things in different ways.

Fair enough. As long as we end up on the same page I guess. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Will Do said:

No.

Sometimes I can't think of something to respond with. That's all.

Hi Wil

Sometimes earning respect is about the time you take to give an answer.

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

:tu:

I'm not following will.

You're referring to spirit in the non material sense aren't you? The man made concept 

Yes. Spirit is non-material but not in the made up sense in my opinion. 

That doesn't exist in nature. As such, that's a conflict. 

If there isn't such a thing as the non-material Spirit of Truth somehow engaging with us humans, in my opinion, no one would ever conceive of the idea of there even being such a thing as truth in the first place. Which is why animals could care less about it. The Spirit of Truth does not engage with animals. 

Fair enough. As long as we end up on the same page I guess. 

I don't really know why I think it but something deep down inside tells me in one way or another, everyone will end up on the same page eventually. :tu:

Edited by Will Do
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Wil

Sometimes earning respect is about the time you take to give an answer.

jmccr8

Not again. My wife told me the same thing this morning!

Edited by Will Do
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Will Do said:

Yes. Spirit is non-material but not in the made up sense in my opinion. 

Even considering your personal interpretation, your still professing an oxymoron. That just brings us back to square one. Cognitive bias.

If there isn't such a thing as the non-material Spirit of Truth somehow engaging with us humans, in my opinion, no one would ever conceive of the idea of there even being such a thing as truth in the first place. Which is why animals could care less about it. The Spirit of Truth does not engage with animals. 

Truth isn't something to be told, it's something to observe, there simply can't be a non material version. That works against the definition of truth.

Of course animals care about the truth. They observe nature and obey it. Animals migrate and hibernate through lessons from nature. Nature's brutal truth is adapt or die. We have managed to overcome this brutalities with shelter and climate control. Air conditioning, heaters. Truth doesn't care about organics anymore than it does inorganic materials. It's not based. It simply "is" 

Truth is something that we can see predict and expect performance upon demand. Something not hidden, something actually evidenced. Truth is not elusive, it is not a stranger. It's there for those who wish to learn 

Where your going wrong is you try to preach instead of learning IMHO. You have no tolerance for variables or new information. That's a trap I would say.

I don't really know why I think it but something deep down inside tells me in one way or another, everyone will end up on the same page eventually. :tu:

I really don't think so. Many people meet their end every day with different expectations. Life ends sure, that's a commonality but I don't think it means, or is the same experience for everyone. 

Imagine if there was really a god. Whilst some would be lining up to worship, many such as myself would be lining up to 'discuss' his plan. You might get a rush of sycophants followed by a scene reminiscent of Flying High....

Hey god WTF,.............

tenor.gif

Edited by psyche101
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Even considering your personal interpretation, your still professing an oxymoron. That just brings us back to square one. Cognitive bias.

Truth isn't something to be told, it's something to observe, there simply can't be a non material version. That works against the definition of truth.

Of course animals care about the truth. They observe nature and obey it. Animals migrate and hibernate through lessons from nature. Nature's brutal truth is adapt or die. We have managed to overcome this brutalities with shelter and climate control. Air conditioning, heaters. Truth doesn't care about organics anymore than it does inorganic materials. It's not based. It simply "is" 

Truth is something that we can see predict and expect performance upon demand. Something not hidden, something actually evidenced. Truth is not elusive, it is not a stranger. It's there for those who wish to learn 

Where your going wrong is you try to preach instead of learning IMHO. You have no tolerance for variables or new information. That's a trap I would say.

I really don't think so. Many people meet their end every day with different expectations. Life ends sure, that's a commonality but I don't think it means, or is the same experience for everyone. 

Imagine if there was really a god. Whilst some would be lining up to worship, many such as myself would be lining up to 'discuss' his plan. You might get a rush of sycophants followed by a scene reminiscent of Flying High....

Hey god WTF,.............

tenor.gif

If you love someone that is a truth. It is, in most ways, immaterial  though it can be seen in an MRI 

(Non human)Animals dont know truth.

Truth is an abstract linguistic construct. Animals don't have such language or constructs, and thus can't know, or use truth. 

We can observe truths about an animal's life, but they cant even think of such a thing,  let alone "care" about it 

• Thanks 1

So I have been thinking of making 2 threads on the same topic from 2 perspectives believers in one and the other is for  skeptics so you can only post in one thread and not both but you can read both threads and bring aspects of one thread to the other to discuss them with the appropriate group. If you see someone has brought something you said to the opposing thread you can not comment in that other thread but can bring points made to the other thread to discuss with you group.

It is kind of an experiment about crossing lines as well as seeing how each group approaches discussing a subject within the confines of not having direct opposition by either party.

jmccr8

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

So I have been thinking of making 2 threads on the same topic from 2 perspectives believers in one and the other is for  skeptics so you can only post in one thread and not both but you can read both threads and bring aspects of one thread to the other to discuss them with the appropriate group. If you see someone has brought something you said to the opposing thread you can not comment in that other thread but can bring points made to the other thread to discuss with you group.

It is kind of an experiment about crossing lines as well as seeing how each group approaches discussing a subject within the confines of not having direct opposition by either party.

jmccr8

Haven't threads like this happened before and they've become train wrecks? 

Just thinking, if you were to do such a thing. Maybe one in the believers section and the other here? 

Edited by XenoFish

I can't recall having 2 user specific treads for one topic before Xeno but would be interested in the outcome seeing as some think there are teams so let the teams play in their space with each other, in one treads if telling stories is all the evidence needed then fine tell each other stories and in the other if the use of credible documentation is the requirement then so be it but they cannot cross over to complain in the opposing thread each to their own so there is no friction caused by either party in each others specific threads. It has a lot to do with willpower and self control.

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
spulling
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

I can't recall having 2 user specific treads for one topic before Xeno but would be interested in the outcome seeing as some think there are teams so let the teams play in their space with each other, in one treads if telling stories is all the evidence needed then fine tell each other stories and in the other if the use of credible documentation is the requirement then so be it but they cannot cross over to complain in the opposing thread each to their own so there is no friction caused by either party in each others specific threads. It has a lot to do with willpower and self control.

jmccr8

Congrats on the longest run-on sentence I've seen in a long time.:lol:

I don't know. Might be worth a shot. So let me get this right. One thread for believers to discuss and another for skeptics, with neither allowed to post outside of the first thread they post in? Am I reading that right?

Edited by XenoFish
  • Haha 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

Congrats on the longest run-on sentience I've seen in a long time.:lol:

I don't know. Might be worth a shot. So let me get this right. One thread for believers to discuss and another for skeptics, with neither allowed to post outside of the first thread they post in? Am I reading that right?

Gee thanks Xeno,:lol: I got interrupted a couple of times writing that

Yes it would be specific to whether you are a believer or skeptic and once you are committed then you cannot switch and must stay in that thread to make you points. In part it is to see how well they progress a discussion and inter act with each other from the same position and like I said one can read both threads and bring points made in one to discuss in the other.

jmccr8

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Gee thanks Xeno,:lol: I got interrupted a couple of times writing that

Yes it would be specific to whether you are a believer or skeptic and once you are committed then you cannot switch and must stay in that thread to make you points. In part it is to see how well they progress a discussion and inter act with each other from the same position and like I said one can read both threads and bring points made in one to discuss in the other.

jmccr8

Go for it. Never hurts to try something new around here. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

Go for it. Never hurts to try something new around here. 

Yes thanks just trying to think of a subject that will get both sides going and will give it a try :D

jmccr8

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Yes thanks just trying to think of a subject that will get both sides going and will give it a try :D

jmccr8

Some men just want to watch the world burn. :lol:

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

jmccr8

I predict a dumpster fire :lol:. But I definitely support innovation lol. 

• Haha 1