Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What religion does to your brain

jmccr8

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I predict a dumpster fire :lol:. But I definitely support innovation lol. 

Hi Spartan

Well to be honest we have had a run on threads getting closed and most of it stems from some people using group think as a defense so now each group has their own thread to discuss the same topic with like thinkers without arguing the person and focusing on the subject.

jmccr8

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

If you love someone that is a truth. It is, in most ways, immaterial  though it can be seen in an MRI 

(Non human)Animals dont know truth.

Truth is an abstract linguistic construct. Animals don't have such language or constructs, and thus can't know, or use truth. 

We can observe truths about an animal's life, but they cant even think of such a thing,  let alone "care" about it 

I have no interest in your thoughts or ideas. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

What if i told you There is a scroll button on the mouse - What If I Told  You | Meme Generator

Fair call. I'll pay that :lol:

But I'm on a phone.

Technicality....... :unsure2:

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not one mention of "Dopamine".

Im outta here....

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Davros of Skaro said:

Im outta here....

Hi Davros

Pretty sure it got brought up at the first page or two, what can I say fish in a fish bowl they can only go round in circles.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/25/2021 at 3:36 PM, XenoFish said:

As for the Nuns mentioned, it does make sense that saying repeated prayers either mentally or verbally would exercise that area of the brain. Same goes for those who use affirmations and mantras. 

I can see in a way that by "putting your problems in god's hands" would decrease decision making skills. As intentional action for creating a change in one's life has been negated. Because "God'll fix it". So no reason to motivate yourself to do anything constructive.

I think Davros has covered the neurochemical aspect of religion. There is no need for me to do it and he does it better anyways.

I will admit that I find the spiritual experience part rather interesting and it makes me wonder if there is a connection with it and supposed astral projection.

While I will admit that I do think there are some benefits to religion/spirituality, there are some pitfalls as well. Just like everything else. One being the idea of moral superiority and egocentrism. 

Not one mention of "Dopamine".

Im outta here....

Edited by XenoFish
  • Thanks 2

On January 26, 2021 at 6:47 PM, Will Do said:

What's the difference between your truth and the real truth?

Accuracy.         My 'truth' is nothing more than my Perception (memory or opinion) of the real truth.   The Real truth is an ACTUAL event...Something Happens!  And whatever happens, whether it's a slap in the face, a goodnight kiss, or a star exploding ...is REALITY.   Things don't 'sort of happen ...they happen  Exactly ..as they happen.  

Sometimes...the real truth and our truth coincides quite well....as in, most of us would agree that the earth orbits the sun ? That is both the Actual, and the Perceived, truth.   Pretty much?  :lol:

.. . .just read page 5..   spirit of truth?     Material ?    No concept or idea or belief is Material,  exactly?

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Davros of Skaro said:

Im outta here....

Dopamine :P

• Haha 6

On 1/27/2021 at 4:41 PM, jmccr8 said:

Well to be honest we have had a run on threads getting closed and most of it stems from some people using group think as a defense

That's not why I think they were closed.  Don't know if I'll ever figure out why UM wants to deter people from posting here...

On 1/27/2021 at 4:41 PM, jmccr8 said:

now each group has their own thread to discuss the same topic with like thinkers

Which was a great idea.  I just don't see a lot of opportunity for 'versus' though in discussions with like thinkers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Which was a great idea.  I just don't see a lot of opportunity for 'versus' though in discussions with like thinkers.

Where the VS aspect always leads the same people to the exact same discussion with the same end result. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Where the VS aspect always leads the same people to the exact same discussion with the same end result. 

No it doesn't. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

No it doesn't. 

From the looks of it, it does. So tell me. How many of these threads end up being Walker's?

If you removed all the thread titles in this section you basically have one mega thread about the same thing.

Sure they start off with there own premise, but devolve into " I'm right, you're wrong" with the same people.

If you removed Walker, Will, and Hab, what would be left? 

• Like 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

From the looks of it, it does. So tell me. How many of these threads end up being Walker's?

What I see happen usually is that a thread's topic runs its course in a week or two and people continue to use the thread to discuss tangents (admittedly tangents that end up far away from the topic).  How many topics here do you think had sooo much more to discuss but Walker conversations 'got in the way' (as if people don't have about 10 different ways immediately available to skip posts/people they're not interested in)?  There is a significant confounding data point with the idea that Walker's the victim of witch hunts or is treated disproportionately in some way here:  who here is even a close second in the volume of their posts?  I'd say no one, one of his typical posts have as many words as about 5-10 of yours.  Thus, just like with about every other board here, people are responding based on the volume of what has been posted, and obviously the more that is contained in a post, the more points that can be responded to.  If someone posts a long post on the conspiracy forum, you get lots of different people responding to it; seems pretty logical for a discussion forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

What I see happen usually is that a thread's topic runs its course in a week or two and people continue to use the thread to discuss tangents (admittedly tangents that end up far away from the topic).  How many topics here do you think had sooo much more to discuss but Walker conversations 'got in the way' (as if people don't have about 10 different ways immediately available to skip posts/people they're not interested in)?  There is a significant confounding data point with the idea that Walker's the victim of witch hunts or is treated disproportionately in some way here:  who here is even a close second in the volume of their posts?  I'd say no one, one of his typical posts have as many words as about 5-10 of yours.  Thus, just like with about every other board here, people are responding based on the volume of what has been posted, and obviously the more that is contained in a post, the more points that can be responded to.  If someone posts a long post on the conspiracy forum, you get lots of different people responding to it; seems pretty logical for a discussion forum.

Fair enough, but go back to all the locked threads in this section and see if you recognize a pattern. 

1 hour ago, Liquid Gardens said:

That's not why I think they were closed.  Don't know if I'll ever figure out why UM wants to deter people from posting here...

The thing is, skeptics are no more "like thinkers" than "believers".   So we have a nice discussion where no one gets p***y or starts name calling.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

The thing is, skeptics are no more "like thinkers" than "believers".   So we have a nice discussion where no one gets p***y or starts name calling.  

When many threads in this section start off with a negative perception is it any wonder that conflicts happen?

Both atheist and theist can be equally arrogant. Some times one side more so than the other. It really depends on the person and their interaction with others. 

The skeptic thread hit 6 pages. Believer thread only 2. I played in the believer thread because I wanted to see exactly where it would go, because I know how the skeptic thread would turn out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

No it doesn't. 

Good point, I am continually surprised and engaged due to many of the threads and the posters. Threads come and go. For me, the exchanges I am involved in or triggered by or seem habitual such as seeing a pattern would be a projection in my world and would offer opportunities for personal growth and self awareness. 

• Like 2

I spoke with Rashore and was asked if I would be willing to open the threads back up and that they would be difficult for mods to regulate the threads so I said I would like to try again so we will see if we can make it work . Not all believers adhere to the same ideals so I can see no reason why they cannot build a discussion within their group just as atheists have been doing. By not engaging opposing groups my hope is that each side will read the opposing thread and discuss points made on material presented and not be biased by who said what . 

I hope that those of you who are willing to explore this to join in when the threads re-open.

jmccr8

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

I spoke with Rashore and was asked if I would be willing to open the threads back up and that they would be difficult for mods to regulate the threads so I said I would like to try again so we will see if we can make it work . Not all believers adhere to the same ideals so I can see no reason why they cannot build a discussion within their group just as atheists have been doing. By not engaging opposing groups my hope is that each side will read the opposing thread and discuss points made on material presented and not be biased by who said what . 

I hope that those of you who are willing to explore this to join in when the threads re-open.

jmccr8

Sadly, I am not very optimistic on the matter, Jay.

See my last post in [Skeptics] and you'll see why.

3 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

I think I'll pass. Good luck though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well said, not being divisive is a practice, one just keeps trying to discover ways to be a bridge, at times we succeed, at times we learn, at times we refine, at times we let go.

I enjoy the conversations here there is always something of value to be gleaned at least for me. 

• Like 4

Just now, Nuclear Wessel said:

Sadly, I am not very optimistic on the matter, Jay.

See my last post in [Skeptics] and you'll see why.

Hi Nuke

I know hat this is a different way of doing something and will continue to see what happens. If members are uninterested or unable to follow the format I will ask for the threads to shut down.

jmccr8 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

jmccr8

Jay, for me, the threads have been eye opening and interesting from the level of just being human. If they reopen I will post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1