Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What religion does to your brain

jmccr8

6 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Nuke

I know hat this is a different way of doing something and will continue to see what happens. If members are uninterested or unable to follow the format I will ask for the threads to shut down.

jmccr8 

Sounds good.

I'll definitely poke around each of the threads, but will only post in the [Skeptics] variant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

I spoke with Rashore and was asked if I would be willing to open the threads back up and that they would be difficult for mods to regulate the threads so I said I would like to try again so we will see if we can make it work . Not all believers adhere to the same ideals so I can see no reason why they cannot build a discussion within their group just as atheists have been doing. By not engaging opposing groups my hope is that each side will read the opposing thread and discuss points made on material presented and not be biased by who said what . 

I hope that those of you who are willing to explore this to join in when the threads re-open.

jmccr8

Can we agree to literally ignore the "believers" who post in the "skeptic" thread like a couple of them have, posting in both when they were told to post in only one?   Or what do we do about those two (I won't call them out but they know who they are, as we all do).   I have no problem skipping anything one posts and I have the other on ignore, but the one who pastes pages and pages gets responses that are just feeding the dragon.  I like the idea of having two separate threads, being allowed to quote from the other thread if we want to make a point, though in my opinion the only quotable stuff I saw in the thread I am not participating in was from the one who has said he will not participate anymore.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2021 at 4:41 PM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Spartan

Well to be honest we have had a run on threads getting closed and most of it stems from some people using group think as a defense so now each group has their own thread to discuss the same topic with like thinkers without arguing the person and focusing on the subject.

jmccr8

Great idea with one major flaw; the believer half belongs in the other forum. A thread skeptics aren't suppose to post in doesn't belong in the skeptics forum. I understand the logic since a it's forum for both believers and skeptics, but that purpose is defeated by dividing them. If you want separation, go all the way. It would make it easier and less problematical for the mods to police.

• Like 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

Can we agree to literally ignore the "believers" who post in the "skeptic" thread like a couple of them have, posting in both when they were told to post in only one?   Or what do we do about those two (I won't call them out but they know who they are, as we all do).   I have no problem skipping anything one posts and I have the other on ignore, but the one who pastes pages and pages gets responses that are just feeding the dragon.  I like the idea of having two separate threads, being allowed to quote from the other thread if we want to make a point, though in my opinion the only quotable stuff I saw in the thread I am not participating in was from the one who has said he will not participate anymore.

Hi Desetrrat

Yes we will ignore and I will tell them to go to the right thread the idea is not to engage them I don't know but for some reason some people only want to engage if they see an opportunity to fight and what I would like to see is just what the groups are able to do independently. I think that looking at was to resolve issues within groups will demonstrate their ability to have a productive discussion. Not all members of either group share all the same views so there is still divisions that can be explored within each group If participants read both threads and use the other threads points for discussion without discussing the posters then maybe we will see how each group problems solves issues discussed and with each other in their groups.It doesn't have to be personal

jmccr8

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Great idea with one major flaw; the believer half belongs in the other forum. A thread skeptics aren't suppose to post in doesn't belong in the skeptics forum. I understand the logic since a it's forum for both believers and skeptics, but that purpose is defeated by dividing them. If you want separation, go all the way. It would make it easier and less problematical for the mods to police.

Hi Hammer

I don't think there needs to be a separation by putting them in different forums as it is a dual thread and if the mods thought that it should be in different forums then I am sure that they would have said something or not asked if I was willing to have them re-opened so I am content to let it stand as is.

jmccr8

6 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I see your overall point, but more specifically the last one would not even be a problem at all if some posters simply just rejected their need for attention and drama and abided by Jay's request. 

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Hammer

I don't think there needs to be a separation by putting them in different forums as it is a dual thread and if the mods thought that it should be in different forums then I am sure that they would have said something or not asked if I was willing to have them re-opened so I am content to let it stand as is.

jmccr8

I disagree. We already have the separation you desire built into the forum. It makes no sense to replicate that division in the skeptics forum. The crossover posts renders the division moot. 

22 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Jay, for me, the threads have been eye opening and interesting from the level of just being human. If they reopen I will post.

Hi Sherapy

Thanks, and yes it gives us an opportunity to observe how people that are willing to take steps to resolve issues do so. What I did see was that it took more time for believers to accept and engage, Walker started to get things going in that thread just before it was closed for review so I am interested what type of dialogue he can create in that group as well as what types of issues they see and are concerned about and what manner of resolution they can come up with in their group

jmccr8

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

I see your overall point, but more specifically the last one would not even be a problem at all if some posters simply just rejected their need for attention and drama and abided by Jay's request. 

It creates an unnecessary artificial problem and potentially excludes believers who may only read and post in the other forum. 

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I disagree. We already have the separation you desire built into the forum. It makes no sense to replicate that division in the skeptics forum. The crossover posts renders the division moot. 

Hi Hammer

Understood but I will go ahead with it and see that is how studies work it is where it is and if it does not work no loss and still a gain for me anyway because I got to learn something.

jmccr8

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Hi Hammer

I am not going to fight with anyone over this it is what it is and has been allowed by the admin if you are not interested then you have said your piece and are under no obligation to partake in those discussion but are welcome to.

jmccr8

• Like 1

Hi Hammer

Understood but I will go ahead with it and see that is how studies work it is where it is and if it does not work no loss and still a gain for me anyway because I got to learn something.

jmccr8

Dude, three of our major irritants here have already thumbed their noses at you. More are assured to follow. I guess I miss the logic in designing an experiment doomed to fail.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Hammer

jmccr8

The misunderstanding is that this sub forum is for skeptics, it is called "Sprituality VS Skeptism"   Both are address so why is it people are saying the believers group doesn't belong in this sub-forum?   How can you have a VS if you only allow one side?  @Hammerclaw  ??? do you know what spirituality means?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As an aside, have you seen the state of the other forum recently? It is essentially a place that the more insecure sceptics go to play whack-a-mole with the believers in their alleged "safe space".

Quite sad.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

The misunderstanding is that this sub forum is for skeptics, it is called "Sprituality VS Skeptism"   Both are address so why is it people are saying the believers group doesn't belong in this sub-forum?   How can you have a VS if you only allow one side?  @Hammerclaw  ??? do you know what spirituality means?

Yes, it makes perfect sense to attempt to exclude skeptics in a forum that includes skeptics. All I can say to my friend j is good luck. 'Nuff said. I'm done.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

As an aside, have you seen the state of the other forum recently? It is essentially a place that the more insecure sceptics go to play whack-a-mole with the believers in their alleged "safe space".

Quite sad.

:sk

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Dude, three of our major irritants here have already thumbed their noses at you. More are assured to follow. I guess I miss the logic in designing an experiment doomed to fail.

Hi Hammer

I am not asking for anyone's first born as a sacrifice it is a discussion forum and there are two threads for discussion, no one is obligated to be involved and I don't see why you have a problem with it some people drink pepsi and other coke and I don't see people smacking each other around with their empty bottles just because they don't like the other guys choice.

jmccr8

• Like 4

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

Yes, it makes perfect sense to attempt to exclude skeptics in a forum that includes skeptics. All I can say to my friend j is good luck. 'Nuff said. I'm done.

If you intend on making more contributions to the [Believers] variant, I look forward to reading them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jmccr8 said:

Hi Hammer

I am not asking for anyone's first born as a sacrifice it is a discussion forum and there are two threads for discussion, no one is obligated to be involved and I don't see why you have a problem with it some people drink pepsi and other coke and I don't see people smacking each other around with their empty bottles just because they don't like the other guys choice.

jmccr8

:nw:

• Like 2

Hi Hammer

Thanks old friend.:tu:

jmccr8

:rofl:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

If you intend on making more contributions to the [Believers] variant, I look forward to reading them.

Yes, I'm creating Dune's Orange-Catholic Bible, merging all religions into one massive holy book.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Yes, I'm creating Dune's Orange-Catholic Bible, merging all religions into one massive holy book.

:lol:

jmccr8

LOL

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Hi Hammer

If beer, bud and booty are okay I'm in.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Haha 1