Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
pallidin

Parrot Loves Going To Home Depot

pallidin

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Peter B

Well, yes, technically a parrot. But more specifically, a cockatoo. (I can't work out which one, though, there are a bunch of species of white cockatoos which are similar in appearance.)

Gotta love cockatoos for their intelligence and sociability. But I much prefer to see them in the wild - I can't stand the idea of seeing birds caged up, so it's great to see this owner taking his bird outdoors freely. We've just had a dozen or so sulfur-crested cockatoos work their way through the seeds in some pine trees here at home, watching us carefully as we walk by within a few metres.

• Like 4

Habitat

That looks like a Moluccan Cockatoo. The Sulphur Crested Cockatoo makes a fantastic pet. But there is a problem, the screeching is ear-piercing, and simply anti-social in any close proximity to neighbours, you would need to be 100 metres away at least, it is one of the most discordant sounds in nature. Dreadful !

• Like 2

Peter B
22 hours ago, Habitat said:

That looks like a Moluccan Cockatoo. The Sulphur Crested Cockatoo makes a fantastic pet. But there is a problem, the screeching is ear-piercing, and simply anti-social in any close proximity to neighbours, you would need to be 100 metres away at least, it is one of the most discordant sounds in nature. Dreadful !

Personally I love their calls (although rosellas and magpies sound much sweeter). ETA: In fact there's a cockatoo calling even as I type this.

The best experience was seeing the appalled faces of hungover English friends as they were assailed by early morning cockie shrieks...:)

Edited by Peter B
  • Like 2

Habitat

Cockatoo screeches are OK at ranges beyond 300 metres.

• Like 2

Matt221
On 1/26/2021 at 1:00 AM, Habitat said:

I used to have a little Plum Head parakeet he would talk and whistle give us kisses he was also kept with a Moluccan cockatoo and being the perfect mimic he reproduced the cockatoo's screeches probably not as loud but it was loud enough in the end we gave him to a friend who lost their african grey to a tumor,the friend really adored little kissey the Plum Head

• Like 1