Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Australia Day marked with protests

Eldorado

A handful of people were arrested in Australia Day protests as thousands took to the streets despite Covid health concerns to march against the divisive national holiday.

The day is highly controversial as it marks the start of Australia’s colonisation, when a British fleet sailed into Sydney Harbour in 1788 to start a penal colony, viewing the land as unoccupied despite encountering settlements.

For many Indigenous Australians, who trace their lineage on the continent back 50,000 years, the day is remembered as "Invasion Day" and for years activists have been running a “change the date” campaign.

Full report from the UK Independent via MSN: Link

4mins report from 7news Australia:

• Like 2

DingoLingo

me.. I think we should change the date.. we have only been celebrating australia day on the 26th of jan nationally for 30 years.. 

personally I think it should be May 8th .. or if you pronounce it as a aussie.. may ate .. mate :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sir Wearer of Hats

I think we need to put the date to referendum next time we have an election. “Keep or Change the Date”. See where the majority actually lies. 

• Like 3

Golden Duck

I work with a colleague who identifies a indigenous.  He tells me of the atrocities and I tell him they didn't occur while the NSW Governor was from the Royal Navy (and that the Captain Cook can't be held as the figurehead of the atrocities.)  I'd always thought MacQuarie and McArthur started it all.  I saw the below tweet and went looking again.  It turns out the Rum Rebellion occurred 26 January 1808 - 20 years, to the day, after colonisation.

I see there was a Proud Bois march in Melbourne.  We need a jingoism free day.

Sir Wearer of Hats
42 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

I work with a colleague who identifies a indigenous.  He tells me of the atrocities and I tell him they didn't occur while the NSW Governor was from the Royal Navy (and that the Captain Cook can't be held as the figurehead of the atrocities.)  I'd always thought MacQuarie and McArthur started it all.  I saw the below tweet and went looking again.  It turns out the Rum Rebellion occurred 26 January 1808 - 20 years, to the day, after colonisation.

I see there was a Proud Bois march in Melbourne.  We need a jingoism free day.

The quote appears to be genuine.

• Like 1

openozy
On 1/27/2021 at 1:39 AM, Eldorado said:

A handful of people were arrested in Australia Day protests as thousands took to the streets despite Covid health concerns to march against the divisive national holiday.

The day is highly controversial as it marks the start of Australia’s colonisation, when a British fleet sailed into Sydney Harbour in 1788 to start a penal colony, viewing the land as unoccupied despite encountering settlements.

For many Indigenous Australians, who trace their lineage on the continent back 50,000 years, the day is remembered as "Invasion Day" and for years activists have been running a “change the date” campaign.

Full report from the UK Independent via MSN: Link

4mins report from 7news Australia:

The only person in the crowd that looks remotely indigenous is an African guy at the front. They really need to get over it.

openozy
7 hours ago, President Wearer of Hats said:

The quote appears to be genuine.

They still do this today with shot wild dogs.

Sir Wearer of Hats
1 hour ago, openozy said:

They still do this today with shot wild dogs.

Yes. Oddly enough wild dogs.... aren’t human beings.

openozy
2 hours ago, President Wearer of Hats said:

Yes. Oddly enough wild dogs.... aren’t human beings.

Just saying times haven't changed for animals.