Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Overfilled landfills waste clogs Serbian lake

Still Waters

Tons of waste has accumulated in a Serbian lake after being swept downriver in a crisis caused by decades of neglect in eastern European countries.

Potpeć lake is filled with rubbish which flooded down the Lim River from towns in Montenegro and Serbia during recent wet and snowy weather.

The items polluting the lake include plastic bottles, rusty metal scraps and tree trunks, washed away from overfilled landfills and caught in the lake near the hydroelectric dam.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/waste-overflowing-landfills-clogs-serbian-162252433.html

• Sad 5

Horrible. At least it was caught in the lake, so they can collect it and recycle at least a portion of that waste avalanche. Lim River area is beautiful, under the garbage, it could attract not just hikers but gastronomic tourists too. They've still got traditional mountain farming that gives some of the best dairy. But they can't swim out on their own, they need investments and so on. Such waste. In every sense.  

• Like 3

I think we should just burn our trash in steam plants. At least we can do something useful with it. Then again dealing with the ashes might be an issue. Just thinking.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I think we should just burn our trash in steam plants. At least we can do something useful with it. Then again dealing with the ashes might be an issue. Just thinking.

There already are large waste incinerator plants. (Our only one - we're a small country - blew up, I don't know if the new one is on yet or not.) If the waste is properly separated, a lot of the ashes can be used as fertilizer. I've got no idea what to do with ash from plastics, but at least it would take up much less space once it was incinerated. 

• Like 2

A team of workers descended upon an artificial lake in Serbia today to clear the vast stretch of waste floating on its surface.

Two barges sailed up and down the polluted waters to collect the thick layer of plastic and waste that had accumulated at the foot of the Lim River hydro-electric power plant on the Potpeć Reservoir in southwest Serbia following heavy rains earlier this year.  

The river Lim has carried in more than 20,000 cubic metres of plastics from unregulated dumps along its banks in Serbia, Montenegro and Bosnia, according to activists.

MSN