Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Red Dead Redemtion II

Desertrat56

Last night I visited my daughter and 10 year old grandson.  He was playing Red Dead Redemption II.  I don't pay  much attention to video games but I am amazed at the graphics in that game.   My grandson just likes to ride a horse around and shoot dear and cougars, then sell them, then he takes his "money" and buys clothes.   There are some things I think are weird about the game but it might just be the way he is playing it.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Last night I visited my daughter and 10 year old grandson.  He was playing Red Dead Redemption II.  I don't pay  much attention to video games but I am amazed at the graphics in that game.   My grandson just likes to ride a horse around and shoot dear and cougars, then sell them, then he takes his "money" and buys clothes.   There are some things I think are weird about the game but it might just be the way he is playing it.  

It is a very nice looking game and has been very successful.
I mostly enjoyed it.

With the next generation of consoles having just been released, there will be a bit of a jump in technology again too. Graphics have come a long way!

Having said that, you should probably consider not letting a 10YO play RDR2, or making sure they are supervised when playing. It can be very gruesome.

ESRB 17+

Blood and Gore
Intense Violence
Nudity
Sexual Content
Strong Language
Use of Drugs and Alcohol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Timothy said:

It is a very nice looking game and has been very successful.
I mostly enjoyed it.

With the next generation of consoles having just been released, there will be a bit of a jump in technology again too. Graphics have come a long way!

Having said that, you should probably consider not letting a 10YO play RDR2, or making sure they are supervised when playing. It can be very gruesome.

ESRB 17+

Blood and Gore
Intense Violence
Nudity
Sexual Content
Strong Language
Use of Drugs and Alcohol

I will let my daughter know.  So far, last night the only gruesomeness was when he would take the hide off the deer he shot.   I think he was playing it becaucse his friends that he plays minecraft were not online.  He used to do Ninja Gym but that still isn't possible.  It was much better than him playing on the computer so much.

Are there some PG settings on the game?

Edited by Desertrat56

11 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I will let my daughter know.  So far, last night the only gruesomeness was when he would take the hide off the deer he shot.   I think he was playing it becaucse his friends that he plays minecraft were not online.  He used to do Ninja Gym but that still isn't possible.  It was much better than him playing on the computer so much.

Are there some PG settings on the game?

When I played it, there were no options to tone down the game.

I found this guide, which seems reasonable from my experience: https://offspring.lifehacker.com/play-red-dead-redemption-2-in-dad-mode-1830232881

Rockstar Games’ sprawling Western video game is rated M for violence, torture, foul-mouthed cowpokes, and many more mature delights. Luckily for gaming parents, though, the most disturbing, antisocial and gory mayhem is either found in the game’s missions or is a result of player choices. So, if you make the right choices, playing Red Dead 2 can be as wholesome as a Roy Rogers Western, and you can save the bloody shootouts and train-robberies-gone-wrong for after the little ones go to bed.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Timothy said:

When I played it, there were no options to tone down the game.

I found this guide, which seems reasonable from my experience: https://offspring.lifehacker.com/play-red-dead-redemption-2-in-dad-mode-1830232881

Rockstar Games’ sprawling Western video game is rated M for violence, torture, foul-mouthed cowpokes, and many more mature delights. Luckily for gaming parents, though, the most disturbing, antisocial and gory mayhem is either found in the game’s missions or is a result of player choices. So, if you make the right choices, playing Red Dead 2 can be as wholesome as a Roy Rogers Western, and you can save the bloody shootouts and train-robberies-gone-wrong for after the little ones go to bed.

I told my daughter about it and she said that she knows but like playing GTA he only catches a horse, rides around and shoots animals, then takes them to the butcher.   In GTA he just kept a garage with his stolen cars and if the police showed up he let them kill him.      I will pass the link on to her.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 2:28 AM, Desertrat56 said:

I told my daughter about it and she said that she knows but like playing GTA he only catches a horse, rides around and shoots animals, then takes them to the butcher.   In GTA he just kept a garage with his stolen cars and if the police showed up he let them kill him.      I will pass the link on to her.

Sounds like he’s been taught well and is in good hands! (And when he’s older, he’ll already have mastered those game mechanics)

That’s kinda cute that he lets the police kill him in GTA.

The fishing mechanics in RDR2 are not bad too. I think you need to do a few story missions (probably best to have your daughter complete them though) to unlock the fishing rod:

https://www.ign.com/wikis/red-dead-redemption-2/How_to_Fish_and_How_to_Unlock_Fishing#How_to_Fish_in_Red_Dead_2

https://www.redbull.com/ca-en/red-dead-redemption-2-how-to-fish

• Thanks 1