Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let’s talk hell.

What is your interpretation of hell? Where do you get your ideas from?

Is it lakes of fire and gnashing teeth? A more personal custom hell designed to torment individually? Maybe a Dante’s Inferno? Do you believe it’s real at all? Is Satan really necessary?

No wrong answers. Tell me how you would expect the eternal damnation to play out. What are the logistics of of an eternity in a “place” like this? How big would it be? Where is it? Is it immune to time like heaven is since it lasts forever? Even the universe won’t last forever.

Edited by Avatar of Woe
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Avatar of Woe said:

No wrong answers. Tell me how you would expect the eternal damnation to play out.

Hi Avatar

Welcome to the forum.

Personally I don't think it exists so have no expectation of damnation after I die, I pay my due while I live

jmccr8

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The idea of tormenting people into perpetuity only jives with the worst retributive impulses of humans. "I hope he burns in hell". It makes no sense outside of that.

• Like 3

I reckon Hell would be living a life of unhappiness every waking hour, and having bad dreams every time you sleep.

Folk who take their own lives are probably tired of Hell, I imagine.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I reckon Hell would be living a life of unhappiness every waking hour, and having bad dreams every time you sleep.

Folk who take their own lives are probably tired of Hell, I imagine.

Yep.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Avatar of Woe said:

Is it lakes of fire and gnashing teeth? A more personal custom hell designed to torment individually? Maybe a Dante’s Inferno? Do you believe it’s real at all? Is Satan really necessary?

No wrong answers. Tell me how you would expect the eternal damnation to play out. What are the logistics of of an eternity in a “place” like this? How big would it be? Where is it? Is it immune to time like heaven is since it lasts forever? Even the universe won’t last forever.

I view hell like it is a dark age.  There is no law, love, harmony or prosperity.

• Like 1

Hell will be great!  To begin with it is not near as hot as Heaven.  This has been scientifically calculated here.

Moreover...you get to party with really kick butt bands like here.

And...as if that weren't enough...you can do anything you want...because...what are they going to  do...kick you out and make you go to Heaven?!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/27/2021 at 4:39 PM, Avatar of Woe said:

IMO there is no hell or eternal damnation after death 

Life/consciousness ceases when we die.

What happens after that is unknown, and susceptible to belief.  ie people can believe anything they  want, or need, to believe, BECAUSE it is unknown 

Christ tried to explain that both heaven and hell are states of mind. Ie they exist within us, and we can exist in a state of heaven or of hell,  all of our lives on earth  The kingdom of heaven is found within us but so is the kingdom of hell  We get to choose which we live in 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Christ tried to explain that both heaven and hell are states of mind

So his dad was just a state of mind?

if there were a hell i imagine it would be a lot like being forced to sit in your living room watching the ID channel on mute while your wife keeps asking you to explain what's going on.

• Haha 3

Hell doesn't have to be a bad thing. Just imagine a supergroup playing over there.

Jimi Hendrix - Lead Guitar
Keith Moon - Drums (although John Bonham is a VERY close second)

Jim Morrison - Vocals

Frank Zappa - Guitar

David Bowie, Roy Orbison, Elvis, Lennon,, Janis Joplin - Backing vocals 

:tsu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

If life is hell then only the strongest souls can be forged in it.

It's not life that is hell, it is the most psychopathic that makes it hellish for the rest of mankind.  Just need straight jackets and mental hospitals for those type.

14 hours ago, openozy said:

So his dad was just a state of mind?

You would have to ask him that. 

Belief in god is a state of mind.

Living with a god is a reality :) 

One can only go by words attributed to him, and we dont even know if they were actually spoken by him  

However, those particular words are demonstrably true 

Every one of us has a choice; whether to live in the state of mind of heaven, or the state of mind of hell,  (or somewhere in between)  while we live on this earth.

Take out the " just", and your words are true  

Possibly heaven /hell are both states  of mind and realities.

I tend not to think so, however.  I think humans recognised heaven and hell within themselves, and constructed the realities they wrote about, from  those thoughts  in an effort to help people create more positive, law abiding,  states of mind,  relationships,   moralities, and behaviours.  

To illustrate. To you was your father ONLY a physical being, or also a state of mind, in the way you understood and perceived him , and responded to him , ? 

Edited by Mr Walker

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

If life is hell then only the strongest souls can be forged in it.

Now we’re talking. I think only the strongest souls can recognize the hell around them. Others become blinded by optimism and refuse to admit what they see.

3 hours ago, GoldenWolf said:

It's not life that is hell, it is the most psychopathic that makes it hellish for the rest of mankind.  Just need straight jackets and mental hospitals for those type.

It’s not always a psychopath that causes the hell in a person’s life. There are lists of things that just happen. Things that are not caused by a person but still every bit as tormenting.

Edited by Avatar of Woe

18 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Christ tried to explain that both heaven and hell are states of mind.

How did Christ try to explain heaven and hell are states mind? A state of mind is like a mood or mental state. What does it mean for heaven and hell to be a mood or mental state in reference to anything Jesus said about it?

11 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Hell doesn't have to be a bad thing. Just imagine a supergroup playing over there.

Jimi Hendrix - Lead Guitar
Keith Moon - Drums (although John Bonham is a VERY close second)

Jim Morrison - Vocals

Frank Zappa - Guitar

David Bowie, Roy Orbison, Elvis, Lennon,, Janis Joplin - Backing vocals 

:tsu:

I like it. Hell is a bad rock show.

40 minutes ago, Avatar of Woe said:

How did Christ try to explain heaven and hell are states mind? A state of mind is like a mood or mental state. What does it mean for heaven and hell to be a mood or mental state in reference to anything Jesus said about it?

Luke 17:21

‘The kingdom of God is within you’

Heaven IS "the kingdom of god " biblically speaking. and this sentence is often written  as " the kingdom of  Heaven" 

Alternative Title: Kingdom of Heaven. Kingdom of God, also called Kingdom Of Heaven, in Christianity, the spiritual realm over which God reigns as king, or the fulfillment on Earth of God's will. The phrase occurs frequently in the New Testament, primarily used by Jesus Christ in the first three Gospels.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Kingdom-of-God

Some do argue that this means the kingdom of god is among you, but even that means that the kingdom of god exists here with us, on earth.

I prefer the simpler translation,  reflecting the  actual words of Christ 

IMO what christ meant was that it is our spiritual state of mind which defines our wellbeing and happiness, not our physical/material condition.

He emphasised this, often, in other places 

If you  feel like you are living in heaven then you ARE in heaven.

if you feel like your life is Hell, then it is 

Edited by Mr Walker

2 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

To you was your father ONLY a physical being, or also a state of mind, in the way you understood and perceived him , and responded to him , ? 

None really, he p-----d off when I was young, I do remember hitting him in the back of the head with a golf club when I was 3 because he threatened mum. I'd describe him as a piece of s---.

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

if you feel like your life is Hell, then it is 

Ok. I’ll buy that.

3 hours ago, openozy said:

None really, he p-----d off when I was young, I do remember hitting him in the back of the head with a golf club when I was 3 because he threatened mum. I'd describe him as a piece of s---.

Yeah, as i was writing, i did wonder if you had a father alive, or dead. 

But you.ve made my point. There was the physical reality of your father, and your mental perception of him

Other people might have had similar, or very different, understandings of him.

He almost certainly saw himself  differently to how you saw him  

On 1/27/2021 at 4:09 PM, Avatar of Woe said:

It’s other people.

On 1/27/2021 at 3:09 PM, Avatar of Woe said:

I believe only in hell on Earth. Hell is a construct of the human mind, it is the thing in life that disturbs, saddens, and causes you the most personal anguish imaginable. Some people experience this hell throughout their entire lives, others rarely visit that place. Some have no control ( those suffering from a mental illness ) and others create the hell they live in by thier actions alone. While still others who can live their lives with few regrets rarely ever glimpse their own version of hell. There is only one way to stop visiting our own versions of hell, and that is with the peace provided by ones death. 

So according to my beliefs hell is not enteral and there is no heaven, only enlightenment that can be achieved by walking the center path, and learning more with each rebirth. Our existence is based up Karma, each of us has it with in us to do what is right or wrong and how Karma effects each of us is based upon our own choices. According to my beliefs there are no omnipotent deities that decide our fate based upon our actions. However, our life turns out to be is solely based upon our own minds and the actions we take during our lives.

These actions also determine how far we will travel down the path to enlightenment, and as a consequence of those actions what our rebirth will be ( A step Forward or a step back ).

Take Care