Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doomsday Clock stuck at 100 secs to midnight

Still Waters

The "Doomsday Clock" illustrating the perils facing the planet and mankind will remain at 100 seconds to midnight this year amid the threats of the coronavirus pandemic, nuclear war and climate change.

"The hands of the Doomsday Clock remain at 100 seconds to midnight, as close to midnight as ever," Rachel Bronson, president of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, said in a statement.

The decision on setting the hands of the clock is taken by board members from the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, which was founded in 1945 by Albert Einstein and University of Chicago scientists who helped develop the world's first atomic weapons.

https://phys.org/news/2021-01-doomsday-clock-stuck-seconds-midnight.html

2021 Doomsday Clock Statement

Science and Security Board
Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists

https://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/current-time/

^ long read

Edited by Still Waters
Added another source link with more info.

What a pile of bogus. Nothing more but a politicity stunt and meanings to get attention.

Whatever happens happens. Could be today, could be tomorrow, the next day, next week, month, next year. We don't think when things could ever happen.

It needs to move to about 30 seconds till doomsday. Simply because the most powerful nation on earth has had a senile old puppet installed as its so called leader. It's only a matter of time before he misplaces the nuclear codes or just hits the wrong button. The world knows this.

• Like 1

I'm very glad science is respected in the White House again. That was a rough 4 years of willful ignorance.

10 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

It's got to be the worst clock in the world, it's never right.

False--it's correct once a day.

23:58:20

Edited by Nuclear Wessel

Actually I'd move the hands back a lot. Many good things have happened in this world, last year. First we've stopped poisoning with pollutants and carbon, our planet. For the first time this century, dolphins were spotted swimming in the French canal. We stopped going to work and learnt to work from home. I saw health an safety being prioritised against the money making business by closing their businesses. Real estate rentals have dropped with 20% and so is services.  The governments have provided aid, money and support. In Canada numerous ministries and directors have been fired for breaking the travel. No body is above the low ( except of course Trudeau). Black live matters movement which changed the world and numerous other disputes solved throughout the year. The newest president is now laughing in the face of the petroleum tycoons showing that is time for a change.
What I saw is awakening and a lot of good things. 

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 12:44 AM, qxcontinuum said:

Actually I'd move the hands back a lot. Many good things have happened in this world, last year. First we've stopped poisoning with pollutants and carbon, our planet. For the first time this century, dolphins were spotted swimming in the French canal. We stopped going to work and learnt to work from home. I saw health an safety being prioritised against the money making business by closing their businesses. Real estate rentals have dropped with 20% and so is services.  The governments have provided aid, money and support. In Canada numerous ministries and directors have been fired for breaking the travel. No body is above the low ( except of course Trudeau). Black live matters movement which changed the world and numerous other disputes solved throughout the year. The newest president is now laughing in the face of the petroleum tycoons showing that is time for a change.
What I saw is awakening and a lot of good things. 

Crossing fingers that the Biden will not reach the end of the oil tycoon leash and choke himself up...

Edited by Jon the frog