Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Skeptics] Is religion still relevant ?

jmccr8

6 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Psyche

Exactly is it a tool for living if it is taken as inclusive of all others.

jmccr8

It's more a dependancy isn't it?

2 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

None in my opinion. 

Hi Psyche

Then what do you think their motivation is to chose a religion?

jmccr8

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

Hi Psyche

Not sure about that as for some it does bring them to caring about all men and for others it seems like a selfish thing. I don't know that for all it is a dependency as I have been many types of believers and would be more inclined to say that like any tool it can be abused.

jmccr8

I just looked into the partner thread and see that people are still not discussing with each other which makes me wonder if they are hesitant to discuss with believers of other perspectives and can only respond if there is a common enemy like an atheist to respond to.:huh:

jmccr8

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Psyche

Then what do you think their motivation is to chose a religion?

jmccr8

Culture and fear, hope for someone to take all the bad away.

Once that melts away, ad it has in western countries, religion starts taking a back seat. God is a way to personify a wish from what I see. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Psyche

Not sure about that as for some it does bring them to caring about all men and for others it seems like a selfish thing. I don't know that for all it is a dependency as I have been many types of believers and would be more inclined to say that like any tool it can be abused.

jmccr8

I'm not sure that it does.

Caring for like minded people. Other religions and atheists are a common enemy more often than not. And I'd say the level of hostility for outsiders is proportional to the level of devotion to a belief. 

A Protestant might look at a Catholic and say they are misled. A Wahabbi Muslim would call a Christian an abomination and execute them for that choice. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Caring for like minded people. Other religions and atheists are a common enemy more often than not. And I'd say the level of hostility for outsiders is proportional to the level of devotion to a belief. 

A Protestant might look at a Catholic and say they are misled. A Wahabbi Muslim would call a Christian an abomination and execute them for that choice. 

Hi Psyche

I never talk in absolutes and have seen people of faith accept and show respect for others that do not share their belief system so do consider that there are variations as to how people interpret doctrine and express it in their daily lives.

jmccr8

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Psyche

I never talk in absolutes and have seen people of faith accept and show respect for others that do not share their belief system so do consider that there are variations as to how people interpret doctrine and express it in their daily lives.

jmccr8

There's an exception to every rule, and they are all rabbit holes. 

Do you feel that would be how the majority of people in the globe are affected by religion? I would have thought that's more a western modern variation. A small percentage globally.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

There's an exception to every rule, and they are all rabbit holes. 

Do you feel that would be how the majority of people in the globe are affected by religion? I would have thought that's more a western modern variation. A small percentage globally.

Hi Psyche

I can only talk from personal experience to answer this, I work in peoples homes so it gets quite personal and on longer jobs one seems to blend into the backdrop and not noticed. I know that in my portfolio I do not state that I am a shrink , social worker. babysitter etc. but it still happens because I see and hear things as well as approached and have the client talk to me about other than work that I leave private and confidential and never advise them t do other than find the appropriate professional to advise them but for the most part see no difference in their concerns or personality that are not shared by others with no or different beliefs. 

I have no intention to save the world all by myself and am not looking for recruits nor do I see the majority of my personal contacts doing so either they just live and hope for a better tomorrow. And yes occasionally I get and avid believer talk to me but really not that often especially living where I am now I grew up in the bible belt which is still quite strong back home. Once population expansion happens there then I expect to see a very different back home because it will be more culturally diverse with with a more balanced population than the current minority groups that exist.

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
maybe I need a new keyboard
  • Like 3

Some people, when they get older, turn to religion. Not only that but they start preaching.

I am the opposite. The older I get the more skeptical I am of religion. And the reason are the first one mentioned above.

All my life I gave it my best to be a good human being. Was not always avhievable but I tried. Be honest, kind, helpfull yet did never let others walk over me.

And then, you have the ones that did so much pain to others, did not care about anyone but themselfs and now...they are born again to whatever faith they say to belong. They pray, preach and....ask God for forgiveness. Why? Why don't they ask the ones they hurt for forgiveness instead? Because they still don't care about others. Just about themselfs.

Religion is for the ones who look for refuge from their sins. Common sense people do not commit the sins in the first place.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Psyche

I can only talk from personal experience to answer this, I work in peoples homes so it gets quite personal and on longer jobs one seems to blend into the backdrop and not noticed. I know that in my portfolio I do not state that I am a shrink , social worker. babysitter etc. but it still happens because I see and hear things as well as approached and have the client talk to me about other than work that I leave private and confidential and never advise them t do other than find the appropriate professional to advise them but for the most part see no difference in their concerns or personality that are not shared by others with no or different beliefs. 

I have no intention to save the world all by myself and am not looking for recruits nor do I see the majority of my personal contacts doing so either they just live and hope for a better tomorrow. And yes occasionally I get and avid believer talk to me but really not that often especially living where I am now I grew up in the bible belt which is still quite strong back home. Once population expansion happens there then I expect to see a very different back home because it will be more culturally diverse with with a more balanced population than the current minority groups that exist.

jmccr8

I'm working with that too. I know a couple of bikers who turned to religion when they became single dad's. Most of them now take their kids to church at a time when they would just be finishing a Friday night session. Which is more the example I have personally of how religion might change someone for a more positive outlook on life. But as I say, I think that sort of good that religion does is a drop in a big ocean when I consider the thread title. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Culture and fear, hope for someone to take all the bad away.

Once that melts away, ad it has in western countries, religion starts taking a back seat. God is a way to personify a wish from what I see. 

I think religion as in monotheism is on it’s way out. What is making a splash here is mindfulness, it is not a religion, no dogma, just keeping things chill and de stressed. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

But as I say, I think that sort of good that religion does is a drop in a big ocean when I consider the thread title. 

Hi Psyche

Thanks for the response but just want to make note that this 2 threads are about not just is religion relevant but how the threads progress within each group and what I am seeing is that skeptics that come in many colors are willing to exchange ideas on the topic and still allow that there are benefits and can respect them for those beliefs if they are active in being good people that see the whole of the world and accept their differences.

What I see going on in the other thread is that believers do not want to discuss this with each other and just make a post.

jmccr8

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I'm working with that too. I know a couple of bikers who turned to religion when they became single dad's. Most of them now take their kids to church at a time when they would just be finishing a Friday night session. Which is more the example I have personally of how religion might change someone for a more positive outlook on life. But as I say, I think that sort of good that religion does is a drop in a big ocean when I consider the thread title. 

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

At an extreme level religion can be a dependency and an identity.

I literally know only one such person who is “a” live and breath Jesus day and night type. She suffers with depression and mental instability. I think being  tethered to her faith may be the only way she is somewhat functional. 

I worry about her though, I ain’t gonna lie. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, odas said:

Religion is for the ones who look for refuge from their sins

9 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I know a couple of bikers who turned to religion when they became single dad's. Most of them now take their kids to church at a time when they would just be finishing a Friday night session.

A bit late after you have murdered people and destroyed countless families from drug distribution. One reason I hate the cover of religion.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, odas said:

Some people, when they get older, turn to religion. Not only that but they start preaching.

I am the opposite. The older I get the more skeptical I am of religion. And the reason are the first one mentioned above.

Hi Odas

That is true to an extent as I do know some that turned to religion later in life and kept it personal because they had enough prior life experience to know that the religion was not what gave them that comfort it was the hope that there may be something else after this one.

jmccr8

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Odas

That is true to an extent as I do know some that turned to religion later in life and kept it personal because they had enough prior life experience to know that the religion was not what gave them that comfort it was the hope that there may be something else after this one.

jmccr8

I do not see much of a life if all a person does is wish for the next better life. That just sounds depressing to me.:P

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

I do not see much of a life if all a person does is wish for the next better life. That just sounds depressing to me.:P

Hi Sherapy

I would say it is just not living this one and hoping for something else they do enjoy this life and hope that there is more to enjoy in the future. I enjoy this life and accept that if this is all there is I am thankful for having had the experience even though the memory of it dies with me.

jmccr8

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Sherapy

I would say it is just not living this one and hoping for something else they do enjoy this life and hope that there is more to enjoy in the future. I enjoy this life and accept that if this is all there is I am thankful for having had the experience even though the memory of it dies with me.

jmccr8

Same, it has been an interesting journey so far...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Odas

jmccr8

I do think about what comes next after death. It would be nice, the paradise. But, I also think about, what if I see all the people there that commited so much harm in real life and they were forgiven? All of a sudden hell looks like a more just place.

My hope for after death is that there is nothing. You die and that's it. Done.

Edited by odas
Think, not thing. It's late.
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, odas said:

I do thing about what comes next after death. It would be nice, the paradise. But, I also think about, what if I see all the people there that commited so much harm in real life and they were forgiven? All of a sudden hell looks like a more just place.

They say dying is the easiest thing you will ever have to do so it can't be bad. I don't have any fear of it as I'm aging but I'll see the game through to the end.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, odas said:

I do thing about what comes next after death. It would be nice, the paradise. But, I also think about, what if I see all the people there that commited so much harm in real life and they were forgiven? All of a sudden hell looks like a more just place.

Hi Odas

I have to wonder what part of our memories or perspectives would have to change to live in heaven if it is with people that we know abused, murdered, etc. I guess that is what that transformed/glorified thing is all about but then who are we after that?:huh:

I am fine with just being here for the time I have.

jmccr8

• Like 4

I believe when we die we become nothing and everything, this should please believers and skeptics alike. :D

51 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

At an extreme level religion can be a dependency and an identity.

I literally know only one such person who is I live and breath Jesus day and night type. She suffers with depression and mental instability. I think being  tethered to her faith may be the only way she is somewhat functional. 

I worry about her though, I ain’t gonna lie. 

I have a very good friend who is national coordinator of the Australian Anti Ice Campaign. About 80% of the people there are pretty much just how you describe your friend there. 

I often wonder if another path to help was available, how they might turn out. 

Where I see real problems in cases like this is the abandonment of personal accountability. The devil is why they took drugs. God saved them from drugs. It was themselves all along. They have just found a convenient shelf to place blame upon.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, openozy said:

I believe when we die we become nothing and everything, this should please believers and skeptics alike. :D

Pffft.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • This topic was locked and unlocked