Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Skeptics] Is religion still relevant ?

jmccr8

when the religious are asked an awkward question, something like:

why did god give my friends daughter leukemia who ended up dying in agony at the age of 12?

Answer= Well, god works in mysterious ways....

Am I allowed to ask the age-old adage:

Well, why did god make me an atheist?

Answer= ????!! Any takers, just out of interest- maybe this post should go in the [Believers] thread?;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Hi Guys

The thread is open again for discussion and we will be self moderating so if people are coming in please do not engage discussion and ask them to post in the appropriate thread. We don't have to say anymore and please be diplomatic in the directions you give. Thanks

jmccr8

• Like 3

On 1/27/2021 at 9:31 PM, jmccr8 said:

I have to wonder at the development of a world government and the allowances that would be made in order to achieve it. for religions in order to be under one global authority as I do not think that nations being independent of each other will be as effective for interstellar colonization as working as a whole in the future. If religions adapt to be inclusive I could see that it would still be a part of daily life and for some more choices in life.

This one is dear to my heart and might deserve its own thread.  We are bound to envision the future as our projection of the evolution of the present.  There may be surprises in store for us as to how a planet can provide the best environment for its citizens and in how human behaviors like religion evolve.   Being an optimist, I hope our future selves can gain insight from our experiences and come up with something better than we currently imagine.  Being also a cynic, I don't expect to see much progress toward that future  in my lifetime.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

This one is dear to my heart and might deserve its own thread.  We are bound to envision the future as our projection of the evolution of the present.  There may be surprises in store for us as to how a planet can provide the best environment for its citizens and in how human behaviors like religion evolve.   Being an optimist, I hope our future selves can gain insight from our experiences and come up with something better than we currently imagine.  Being also a cynic, I don't expect to see much progress toward that future  in my lifetime.

Hi Tatetopa

Yes and if we get to the point that we are exploring the universe we should make sure that we can resolve differences to reach higher goals. Not sure how things would go if we ran into another intelligent lifeform if we have not resolved or differences here on this planet.

jmccr8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2021 at 5:25 AM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Psyche

I'm still typing with 2 finger so am a bit slow. I think if people chose to be accepting of each other on the individual basis it will weaken the complex of superiority on it's own with it's own members, thee are a lot of people that identify with Christianity but are new age and the religious structure fractures with their losses with integration of cultures ones sees other aspects other than religious that have a lot of value in a society and recognizing that is a step in acceptance. I see people scarfing down food from different cultures then hear them talking crap about their culture without knowing what that culture actually is about.

True some hold more abstract views than others but you see that in every aspect of life as well so it is not unique to religion, In this thread they cannot say anything although they can peak their mind in the other thread, I know not all of them agree with fanatics and am sure would express their thoughts in counter if that part of this thread concept works. They can see what we are saying and for the most part no one is actually speaking down to or against anyone and if they are objective and read what we are saying maybe they will come out and make this interesting

jmccr8

Cheers back :D:tu:

Yes I know I put a silk bag on my sledgehammer the other night.:lol:

jmccr8

I add that there are some great examples of practicing ones faith in a way that is inclusive. I have literally known many people who are Catholic and Christian that are amazing examples and some are good friends. 

I spent a lot of years as an atheist I was honest about it. On a profound level, some of the best people I knew/ know and learned from were/ are religious in their foundation. I say some of my best teachers. It is only about how one applies/ walks the path, the path itself is immaterial. I know religious people who are self aware and come from their humanness too. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Dejarma said:

when the religious are asked an awkward question, something like:

why did god give my friends daughter leukemia who ended up dying in agony at the age of 12?

Answer= Well, god works in mysterious ways....

Am I allowed to ask the age-old adage:

Well, why did god make me an atheist?

Answer= ????!! Any takers, just out of interest- maybe this post should go in the [Believers] thread?;)

Hi Dejarma

Couldn't answer earlier but can now. God did not make me an atheist it was religion that caused me to pause and think about it and when I did I realized that it did not fill in the blanks for me but that is a personal choice so I can not answer for others on this matter. All I can say is it is a choice and when I made mine it made no difference in how the people I know accepted me.

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
keyboard malfunction
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

I add that there are some great examples of practicing ones faith in a way that is inclusive. I have literally known many people who are Catholic and Christian that are amazing examples and some are good friends. 

I spent a lot of years as an atheist I was honest about it. On a profound level, some of the best people I knew/ know and learned from were/ are religious in their foundation. I say some of my best teachers. It is only about how one applies/ walks the path, the path itself is immaterial. I know religious people who are self aware and come from their humanness too. 

Hi Sherapy

Yes exactly so we know that people can be accepting of others choices and still work for a common end. These threads are not about ending religious beliefs in as much as seeing if people can build those bridges that you and I have experienced and apply it on a global level

jmccr8

• Like 3

Certainly seems relevant to a lot of people I know, In fact, quite important to them. As long as you're not bothering anyone else, you should be able to believe in whatever you want.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Dearm

Couldn't answer earlier but can now. God did not make me an atheist it was religion that caused me to pause and think about it and when I did I realized that it did not fill in the blanks for me but that is a personal choice so I can not answer for others on this matter. All I can say is it is a choice and when I made mine it made no difference in how the people I know accepted me.

jmccr8

For me, Atheism gave me a opportunity to cultivate my own voice, and the wisdom to choose the path that challenged me to my best, not by being self righteous and holier than anyone, I let my behavior speak for me and when it speaks in a way that is less than my best, I appreciate the feedback from others, especially atheists or religious folks who walk the talk and who have  the courage to point me to a way that is better not only for me but those that are around me. 

An ability to stand corrected, humility, nonjudgmental, saying I do not know ( honesty) are qualities that stand out, regardless of the path. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Sherapy

Yes exactly so we know that people can be accepting of others choices and still work for a common end. These threads are not about ending religious beliefs in as much as seeing if people can build those bridges that you and I have experienced and apply it on a global level

jmccr8

Exactly, for me it is seeing beyond the labels to our common humanity. 

I have known people who were so locked into their beliefs that it was hard for them to see any other perspectives. Fortunately, they were open and in that we found common ground. I had a coworker who was disturbed by my buddhism, so I asked her if she could accept that this was my path and I assured her I had no issue with her faith and go from there. She said absolutely and we are dear friends today, the path is different, but our hearts are the same. One really doesn’t need to walk the same path, we can come together on our common humanity. I get great ideas from many paths ideas are interchangeable.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

God did not make me an atheist it was religion that caused me to pause and think about it.

Religion is the main cause, I think, for me, that I'm not religious. The forced church attendance when I was growing up, left a sour taste with me. But I'm not anti-religious either. Should be a matter of choice for each of us.

Not an atheist either, I'd call myself agnostic. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Certainly seems relevant to a lot of people I know, In fact, quite important to them. As long as you're not bothering anyone else, you should be able to believe in whatever you want.

Hi Hyperion

Yes that is true and I am not suggesting to take beliefs away from anyone. The thread has more than one thing going on for me personally and that is to separate friction by putting people in work groups to discuss a subject without personal bias and there are some on both sides that bring it into a thread so the subject is never fully developed or discussed because of conflict. Each group has issues within their own groups and I would like to see how the resolve and move forward to a common resolution. If you read both threads I hope you will understand if not ask and I will try to make it clearer

So are you an atheist?

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
spulling

4 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Religion is the main cause, I think, for me, that I'm not religious. The forced church attendance when I was growing up, left a sour taste with me. But I'm not anti-religious either. Should be a matter of choice for each of us.

Not an atheist either, I'd call myself agnostic. 

Hi Hyperion 

Well then you are welcome o post in this thread but may not in the other thread, thanks for joining in

jmccr8

6 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Hyperion 

Well then you are welcome o post in this thread but may not in the other thread, thanks for joining in

jmccr8

I don't even know that the other thread is. Now you've made me want to post in it! :ph34r: JK! 

• Haha 2

• The topic was locked

Folks, even though this pair of threads being hosted jmccr8 is being self moderated to a point as in you are all expecting each other to keep on topic.. But they are still being moderated by UM staff and UM rules apply, including drug reference rules. Content has been removed, please refrain from discussing it again. 

• Thanks 1

• The topic was unlocked
Just now, rashore said:

Folks, even though this pair of threads being hosted jmccr8 is being self moderated to a point as in you are all expecting each other to keep on topic.. But they are still being moderated by UM staff and UM rules apply, including drug reference rules. Content has been removed, please refrain from discussing it again. 

Hi Rashore

Yes and sorry for the slip up on my part.

jmccr8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, plants are verboten? Just asking. I'm just a newbie, please don't ban me. Not jmccr8's fault, mine. I made the reference. 

Edited by Hyperionxvii
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hyperionxvii said:

So, plants are verboten? Just asking. I'm just a newbie, please don't ban me.

Hi Hyperion

It was my fault I wasn't thinking but anything that promotes is not considered good form here and apologize for my error in saying what I did.

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jmccr8 said:

Hi Hyperion

It was my fault I wasn't thinking but anything that promotes is not considered good form here and apologize for my error in saying what I did.

jmccr8

I still think it was mine. Sorry, I didn't know about the rules. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

So, plants are verboten? Just asking. I'm just a newbie, please don't ban me. Not jmccr8's fault, mine. I made the reference. 

26 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

I still think it was mine. Sorry, I didn't know about the rules. 

You have been here long enough to know the rules. And if you were that new, you should be familiar with the rules you claimed to have read and agreed to to sign up here. But since you don't seem to know, I strongly advise you read them: https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/guidelines/

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rashore said:

You have been here long enough to know the rules. And if you were that new, you should be familiar with the rules you claimed to have read and agreed to to sign up here. But since you don't seem to know, I strongly advise you read them: https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/guidelines/

Sorry, rashore. Your site and your rules. I respect that. I honestly did not know that. It looks like I've been here a long time, but I never really posted here much until just recently. 

"And if you were that new, you should be familiar with the rules you claimed to have read and agreed to to sign up here."

Well, you know, no one but lawyers ever reads that stuff, well not even then, they just write it.

Again, sorry, won't happen again!

Edited by Hyperionxvii
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Damn, without religion we would not have nice games like Warhammer 40k, where bunch of crazy fanatics zealots are blasting each others with walking giant cathedral !

Emperor Titan - Warhammer 40k - Lexicanum

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Damn, without religion we would not have nice games like Warhammer 40k, where bunch of crazy fanatics zealots are blasting each others with walking giant cathedral !

Emperor Titan - Warhammer 40k - Lexicanum

Well, there has to be a reason to blast each other and if it has to be religion, so be it! Because without blasting each other... what are we going to do, play Farmville, or My Little Pony? I think not! 

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Well, there has to be a reason to blast each other and if it has to be religion, so be it! Because without blasting each other... what are we going to do, play Farmville, or My Little Pony? I think not! 

Where I grew up religion was only one of many ways for fistical entertainment, we would fight if you wore you jeans tucked into your cowboy boots or pulled over and it was no inconvenience to drive 30 miles to find someone who did. Guys fought just because they were from the town down the road in any direction so I am pretty sure people will find something to disagree about no matter what,

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Haha 1