Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
closed for business

[Skeptics] Is religion still relevant ?

282 posts in this topic

Nuclear Wessel
2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

eggs + mayo ? Better be a sandwich.

Mayonegg sandwich.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

third_eye
13 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Mayonegg sandwich.

Learn to walk on the wild side... 

[00.07:15]

~

• Thanks 3

closed for business
8 hours ago, eight bits said:

I'm unsure how far we ought to pursue Canadian exceptionalism - you do realize that in a neighboring thread, you included mayonnaise in a recipe for scrambled eggs, right? ... 'nuff said.

:lol::lol:

To me, it's a great mystery how people manage to get along as well as they do, even though that's not always so great. I'm not hyperworried about religion as a source of conflict, not because it isn't, but rather because there are so many other sources that I doubt we'd miss much if one source were somehow magically taken off the table.

I don't see religion as a major problem myself and kind of see it as there are over a million cars, trucks etc on the road in my city every day and yet the accidents are really quite low in proportion given the limited skills of some drivers and most manage to stay in their own lane.:lol:

But given that it is a source of conflict, and that Luhrmann (et al.)'s results suggest that it isn't ever coming off the table, then maybe it's worth some attention.

Agreed

9 hours ago, eight bits said:

Money is in some sense how we keep score - all kinds of different "systems" run on money (or stumble along with money). Canada and occasionally the US have systems that reward peaceful coexistence, even a degree of cooperation. I don't have to love you to trade with you, or agree with anybody about the relative merits of Allah versus YHWH if I like the price and quality of the goods and services somebody offers. Or French heritage versus Anglo, or racial (a perennial concern in the USA) or whatever..

That is true and we also see an integration of cultures on the individual level because of businesses and services that give us and opportunity to interact and create good relations that step past the boundaries created by our differences.

jmccr8

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

closed for business

So I was watching this movie last night that had an interesting premise about AI( synthetic humans) that when man realized that they were becoming self aware and tried to annihilate them and were driven away and the synthetics created a culture/civilization of their own and later humans came back years later from Mars to try again to destroy them.

At first it just seems like and alien invasion against humans but as the story moves on it unravels and interesting story and it reminded me of this thread so thought I would add it here.

jmccr8

• Like 3

third_eye
3 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

So I was watching this movie last night that had an interesting premise about AI( synthetic humans) that when man realized that they were becoming self aware and tried to annihilate them and were driven away and the synthetics created a culture/civilization of their own and later humans came back years later from Mars to try again to destroy them.

Been getting a lot of recommendations from my pals about this one... but I don't get the chance to watch anything these days.... 

[00.01:45]

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

closed for business
10 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Been getting a lot of recommendations from my pals about this one... but I don't get the chance to watch anything these days.... 

~

Hi Third_eye

Yes I watched the season one of that series and id find it an interesting sci-fi about religious conflict. The Android female had an immaculate conception and gave birth to a flying snake so not sure how they can top that one in any following seasons but will watch if there is another.

jmccr8

• Like 3