Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New mass badger culls to be banned after 2022

Still Waters

No new mass culls of badgers will be allowed in England after 2022, under government plans announced on Wednesday.

Since 2013 more than 100,000 badgers have been killed in culls that are intended to reduce tuberculosis infections in cattle. About 30,000 cattle are slaughtered each year at a cost of £150m.

The drive to eradicate bovine TB (bTB) will instead focus on vaccinating badgers and cattle and tightening restrictions on the movement of cattle. The environment secretary, George Eustice, said progress was being made on a cattle vaccine and it could be available from 2025.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/27/new-mass-badger-culls-to-be-banned-after-2022-says-minister

Related:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/339385-badger-cull-extended-in-england-to-60000/?

• Like 2

I know a few blokes with terriers in the UK. In the old days badgers were hunted by these guys when farmers had too many or a problem animal and the numbers were kept stable. If you are caught hunting them these days with terriers you might as well murdered someone, such are the penalties. Then they have mass cullings? If they left it to the locals, the badgers would have been fine. They will now over breed and upset the balance and all the animals will suffer. They can thank PETA and other misinformed do- gooders when this happens.

8 hours ago, openozy said:

I know a few blokes with terriers in the UK. In the old days badgers were hunted by these guys when farmers had too many or a problem animal and the numbers were kept stable. If you are caught hunting them these days with terriers you might as well murdered someone, such are the penalties. Then they have mass cullings? If they left it to the locals, the badgers would have been fine. They will now over breed and upset the balance and all the animals will suffer. They can thank PETA and other misinformed do- gooders when this happens.

You make it sound like a jolly day out! When badgers are caught by Joe Public they are often used in illegal fights with dogs(usually pitbulls). The worst cause of perpetuating TB in cattle is poor hygiene/health practices on cattle farms.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

You make it sound like a jolly day out! When badgers are caught by Joe Public they are often used in illegal fights with dogs(usually pitbulls). The worst cause of perpetuating TB in cattle is poor hygiene/health practices on cattle farms.

I don't know where you get that info from, PETA maybe. The farmers and hunters have been controlling the population for hundreds of years and still the badger thrived. They were drawn out and dispatched humanely. I think you are getting mixed up with criminals and dog fighting. What do you think is going to happen to your native animal the red fox with uncontrolled badger numbers? I've heard from outdoorsmen already that they have found record numbers of dead cubs, dens taken over. You have no natural predators for badgers that is probably why they have been hunted for centuries.