Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Little Guy Crushing Hedge Fund Honchos

OverSword

13 hours ago, Gromdor said:

I've always been a buy and hold kind of guy for the long haul.  Between brokerage fees, capital gains taxes, and just plain timing your buys/sales right day trading hasn't been my style.  Gamestop is/was a troubled company and with online stores like Steam and Epic Games I had serious misgivings about the whole trying to mess with the hedgefund thing.  If it was a company I was sure was going to recover and gain value I might have dumped a few grand into it as an experiment but it was never on my radar as a true investment.  When the selling starts and everyone starts to leave, someone has to be left holding the basket.  Ironically anyone who short sold off this whole trend would have made a killing.

I feel like for the common investor the best thing to do it just put stuff in a index fund for years

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

I told you all to sell, how many did?

Its collapsed now.

I always assumed it would drop at some point since hedge funds have more discipline than individuals. I wouldn't call it a collapse though.

Still valued around 56 a share which is more than the around 10 a share when this all started.

Edit: correction it ended yesterday at 56 but it currently around 82.

Edited by spartan max2

3 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I always assumed it would drop at some point since hedge funds have more discipline than individuals. I wouldn't call it a collapse though.

Still valued around 56 a share which is more than the around 10 a share when this all started.

Edit: correction it ended yesterday at 56 but it currently around 82.

Its settled around there for now due to people not understanding what was going on buying shares. They have made a large loss, and dont want to sell. They are hoping for a rebound and who knows, if they wait 30 years they might get back what they paid for them lmao.

6 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Its settled around there for now due to people not understanding what was going on buying shares. They have made a large loss, and dont want to sell. They are hoping for a rebound and who knows, if they wait 30 years they might get back what they paid for them lmao.

I don't know why you don't understand that most of them are expecting to lose money.

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2021 at 8:52 PM, Gromdor said:

I've always been a buy and hold kind of guy for the long haul.  Between brokerage fees, capital gains taxes, and just plain timing your buys/sales right day trading hasn't been my style.  Gamestop is/was a troubled company and with online stores like Steam and Epic Games I had serious misgivings about the whole trying to mess with the hedgefund thing.  If it was a company I was sure was going to recover and gain value I might have dumped a few grand into it as an experiment but it was never on my radar as a true investment.  When the selling starts and everyone starts to leave, someone has to be left holding the basket.  Ironically anyone who short sold off this whole trend would have made a killing.

Thing is though, the reddit researchers were right. They formed a plan based off that info, executed it and succeeded tremendously. Without the sudden trading restrictions on the 28th who knows what would've happened. It seemed unstoppable. Yea sure they caught the hedgies off guard and obviously things are different now but I have no idea what happens next. 

I do know the media very blatantly lied about the push for silver so could they be lying that short positions have largely been covered by the hedgies? Its quite possible they haven't and there's another round of GME gains in store although I realize now that the plan is out and the forums are being patrolled and filled with distracting bots by the hedge funds that they have the resources and capabilities to stay 2 steps ahead.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

GME has quadrupled in the past 2 days! EMM is back in profit boys!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

GME has quadrupled in the past 2 days! EMM is back in profit boys!

I saw that but I'm confused.

Are Hedge Funds still shorting GME stock? I assumed alot of them would leave.

Poor short sellers. Must have assumed it going down was a sure thing.

Speculators and especially "analysts", drive me nuts. They can't help but try to influence things. Maybe out of pride/ego, or greed.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Poor short sellers. Must have assumed it going down was a sure thing.

Speculators and especially "analysts", drive me nuts. They can't help but try to influence things. Maybe out of pride/ego, or greed.

They must be morons if they thought short selling Gamestop again, so soon, would work out lol.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2021 at 6:45 PM, spartan max2 said:

I saw that but I'm confused.

Are Hedge Funds still shorting GME stock? I assumed alot of them would leave.

Eventually they're going to have to take the real hit. When that happens it's going to be crazy.