Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Good Infrasound detection software

macqdor

I'm looking for infrasound detection software.

Windows friendly? (windows 10)

Any ideas?

Does such software exists?

prefer it run off a PC vs. a smart phone

This board is named Unexplanied-Mysteries, not Google.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macqdor said:

I'm looking for infrasound detection software.

Windows friendly? (windows 10)

Any ideas?

Your devices have no way to hear infrasound.  Microphones detect sound in the audible range, centred on speech.

There is no such thing as 'infrasound detection software' for your PC, laptop, phone or tablet.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your devices have no way to hear infrasound.  Microphones detect sound in the audible range, centred on speech.

There is no such thing as 'infrasound detection software' for your PC, laptop, phone or tablet.

not even with some sophisticated setup i.e. equipment, etc?

@acute

this setup intrigued me. But its LINUX based.

No computer has any 'inherent' low-frequency ability, but if a high enough quality microphone/transducer with the necessary freq range is attached...  then, pretty much any sound editor will work on the output.  Why not completely break the mold, mac, and actually go research this with an expert, eg a sound engineer, or a seismologist with suitable expertise...

If you don't, any data you collect/inferences you make will be of zero use. 

• Like 1

@ChrLzs

Why not completely break the mold, mac, and actually go research this with an expert, eg a sound engineer, or a seismologist with suitable expertise...

As we say in Texas. I have several poles in the water.  This thread is one out of several.

Your thoughts of the https://everything2.com/title/Earthworks+QTC1 and

https://earthworksaudio.com/microphones/qtc-series-2/ particularly the Earthworks M30.

i think i found my hardware (link above) 

I'm looking for software.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, macqdor said:

@ChrLzs

As we say in Texas. I have several poles in the water.  This thread is one out of several.

https://earthworksaudio.com/microphones/qtc-series-2/ particularly the Earthworks M30.

Those are pretty expensive stuff, mind if I ask what is your project? 

I'm not at liberty to go into detail about the project. NDA liability.

I'm told this equipment and YouTube video above can assist in capturing infrasound. Yes? No?

Im not strong with Linux which is the software the young lady used in the YouTube video runs on.

A Windows version of that software would be great. 

Hence my search. 

10 hours ago, macqdor said:

I'm not at liberty to go into detail about the project. NDA liability.

Translation, ghost stuff.

22 hours ago, macqdor said:

not even with some sophisticated setup i.e. equipment, etc?

@acute

this setup intrigued me. But its LINUX based.

That's not LINUX, it's Mac. You can even see the little apple in the upper left corner of her screen. 

Windows 10 does have a LINUX kernel, so you could run baudline if you really wanted to. If you rather not mess with that, just look up a baudline for Windows for an alternative.  Baudline alternatives are out there. Skip the "infrasound detection", that's not an actual thing in the tec realm. Try audio visualization software instead.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 3:56 AM, macqdor said:

@ChrLzs

Sounds like fun, even if that isn't the reason why you are doing it.

I might recommend doing some basic learning of audio visual systems prior to jumping to the higher tech stuff unless you have some professionals helping. That way you can get experience and a feel for the way things work. Maybe working with zoom recorders and simple mics and learning how to edit the frequencies and filter your recordings with a daw and mixing boards. Perhaps you have already done so.

If that is the case, one thing I would recommend considering when recording is the acoustics of the area. How will sound reverberate and absorb based on what else is in the room?

I have used things similar to this before for simpler circumstances like searching for hidden cameras in hotel rooms and bathroom stalls:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MEGAWHEELS-Anti-Spy-Detector-Hidden-Camera-Finder-Rf-Signal-Detector/705524802?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222223410032086&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=m&wl3=75316683899092&wl4=pla-4578916218720340&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=& wl10=Walmart&wl12=705524802_10000020145&wl14=rf spy detector toold&veh=sem

(I don't know if you have followed anything of the sort in the news but you can find hidden cameras and such all over the place. There were a bunch of air bnbs that were caught doing this.)

It will pick up stray frequencies from things like phones, car radios, plugged in TVs. You just have to consider what else may be interfering with your signal.

If you've already gotten that far, hearing about some variation of your results would be interesting :D

That is a beautiful microphone. Omnidirectional would be a great decision if you are looking to record high sensitivity from all directions within the room, but if you dont know how to differentiate and filter, all of the extra ambience may be misinterpreted. I would recommend experimenting and seeing what results you get from a variety of equipment. I dont know what type of environment you are recording in. You dont necessarily have to stick to omnidirectional if your environment is changing, ie. walking around a house and recording noises. I would also not recommend it for outdoors.

Are you recording at a table or nonmoving place in a room and filtering the recordings through hardware to output imagery? I am guessing you have people helping you interpret soundwaves from audio vis. by this point?

Edited by smanthaonvaca

Thanks for the great advice @smanthaonvaca

I've acquired the microphones. 2 in fact.  My thought experiment of posting this question on multiple forums has paid off.  I got several good answers, yours included.

Your thoughts on this device?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Infiltec-Model-INFRA20-LED-Infrasound-Monitor-USB-Adapter-Data-Logging-Software/252395846314

and

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=252395846314&t=1513262849000&category=25423&seller=infiltec_factory&excSoj=1&excTrk=1&lsite=0&ittenable=true&domain=ebay.com&descgauge=1&cspheader=1&oneClk=2&secureDesc=0&oversion=3f56a948

......but if you dont know how to differentiate and filter, all of the extra ambience may be misinterpreted. I would recommend experimenting and seeing what results you get from a variety of equipment.

great advice.  Thats exactly what I'm going to do.

2021-02-15_14-36-16.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, macqdor said:

Thanks for the great advice @smanthaonvaca

I've acquired the microphones. 2 in fact.  My thought experiment of posting this question on multiple forums has paid off.  I got several good answers, yours included.

Your thoughts on this device?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Infiltec-Model-INFRA20-LED-Infrasound-Monitor-USB-Adapter-Data-Logging-Software/252395846314

and

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=252395846314&t=1513262849000&category=25423&seller=infiltec_factory&excSoj=1&excTrk=1&lsite=0&ittenable=true&domain=ebay.com&descgauge=1&cspheader=1&oneClk=2&secureDesc=0&oversion=3f56a948

great advice.  Thats exactly what I'm going to do.

2021-02-15_14-36-16.jpg

So far I've only looked at the first link. I think the stabilizing feature is a good feature to start with but you have to be wary with features like that because generally if they strip something of a manual feature such as a tare, then you are more likely to question the accuracy to how the device automatically adjusts the feature itself. You have to take in to consideration machine and human error.

I am not sure if you are an environmentalist, meteorologist, or hobbyist. This uses seismographic technology, and records sensations and changes in pressure and temperature. 

Some observations to consider:

• The INFRA20-LED is not very sensitive to vibration or orientation, but it is very sensitive to temperature changes or altitude changes. Serial extension cables up to 100 ft can be used to connect it to the data logging PC.
  • The infrasound sensor is a differential pressure sensor 

Range is ±25 Pascals.

The display was generated by the free AmaSeis seismic data logging/display software and the display updates are sent to the web by Fling FTP software.

• Mode of Operation: Microbarograph design with solid-state differential pressure sensor and high-pass pneumatic filter.
  • Output: Serial output formatted for AmaSeis seismic software, RS232 9600 baud N81 ASCII, 50 samples/second.
  • Temperature Range 40 to 90 F (4 to 32 C) with no adjustments required. Internal firware automatically adjusts for drifts. Requires constant temperature during operation that can be provided by insulation such as a small lunchbox type cooler.

APPLICATIONS OF THE INFRA20-LED:

• Wind turbine monitoring.
  • Animal monitoring, including elephants, hippos, rhinos, giraffes, tigers, alligators, certain birds, etc.
  • Earthquake and tsunami monitoring.
  • Bolide or detonating fireball meteor monitoring.
  • Volcano monitoring.
  • Avalanche monitoring.
  • Thunder, lightning and severe weather monitoring.
  • Sonic boom monitoring
  • Explosion monitoring.
  • Aurora monitoring.
  • Alleged haunted site or ghost monitoring.
  • Rotating equipment monitoring.
  • Sick building analysis.
  • Environmental assessments.
  • Microbarom monitoring.
  • Helicopter monitoring.
  • Tornado monitoring.

They may also be trying to market paranormal into their geo tech to increase sales profit. Seems like it doesnt really suit the list. You may think movement underneathe you is a ghost in the room unless you had a geographer or other scientist educated on reading the charts with you, or if you are one yourself.

• Thanks 1

you had a geographer or other scientist educated on reading the charts with you, or if you are one yourself.

there's some learning curves involved yes.  The overall project i.e. thought experiment is viewed as a marathon not a sprint.   This will be a long comprehensive study involving a lot of people. Its gotten good reviews in proper circles. I can't wait to begin.  You've been very helpful.   

Keith

On 2/14/2021 at 6:17 AM, smanthaonvaca said:

I am guessing you have people helping you interpret soundwaves from audio vis. by this point?

I'm guessing he hasn't, based on past threads.... Macqdor, who have you enlisted who is experienced with the devices, and that know how to undertake a proper investigation?

14 hours ago, macqdor said:

This will be a long comprehensive study involving a lot of people. Its gotten good reviews in proper circles.

So it will be a long comprehensive study, yet it already has reviews? :huh:   Please cite these reviews, or even just define the "proper circles".

BTW, I am not dismissing investigation efforts out of hand - some amateur investigations are excellent - but the methodology used must be stated in full and ALL the raw data must be public.  And that methodology must, obviously, be sound.  (I threw in that pun for free.) 

As usual I would point out that the plural of anecdote is NOT data.  Let alone knowledge, let alone wisdom.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, macqdor said:

there's some learning curves involved yes.  The overall project i.e. thought experiment is viewed as a marathon not a sprint.   This will be a long comprehensive study involving a lot of people. Its gotten good reviews in proper circles. I can't wait to begin.  You've been very helpful.   

Keith

Sounds like fun! One last thing I would suggest to be very helpful. There are some sites with the 'Unlocked Icon' that you may access for free, but college (student only) and public library online databases provide relevant instruction, such as:

https://libguides.com.edu/az.php

They may have guides on working with that type of technology and related scientific fields. In some of my college buildings, I walked by rooms that had devices similar to the one that you posted. I believe they were marine science rooms. I am sure some research papers (prior to journal release?) and books (think yard sale and used book stores with college textbooks) could detail experiments including topics that would provide insight such as reading a graph for seeking deep sea treasure, creatures swimming below X feet... :rofl:

As @ChrLzs mentioned, having the right people is important. I am not sure if you have anyone with families who do science, professors, students, or graduates of some degree. If not I would recommend reaching out to them. 

If you do decide to make your results public in the future, don't forget to share your documentary on here :) 

• Thanks 1