Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Having a conversation with an AI

Nuclear Wessel

It, not Him.

• Like 2

Uh-huh..this is not an 'AI' but merely an actor. Watching the facial movements and the minute muscular movements indicates, to me, that this is just a sham performance.

An AI does not need a larynx which moves easily on teh mans throat, the minute facial expressions are too quick and fluid, the responses are too quick and fluid...

Sorry, I think we're being duped with this sorry performance.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bendy Demon said:

Uh-huh..this is not an 'AI' but merely an actor. Watching the facial movements and the minute muscular movements indicates, to me, that this is just a sham performance.

An AI does not need a larynx which moves easily on teh mans throat, the minute facial expressions are too quick and fluid, the responses are too quick and fluid...

Sorry, I think we're being duped with this sorry performance.

Not an actor. Did you bother watching the video? The AI even tells how the avatar you're seeing (i.e. the human male as the AI) was created.

https://www.synthesia.io/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Not an actor. Did you bother watching the video? The AI even tells how the avatar you're seeing (i.e. the human male as the AI) was created.

https://www.synthesia.io/

Yes..I did watch it

If this thing was real then why the need for an "avatar"? Why not be there in reality? Something about all this doesn't seem right.

Edited by Bendy Demon
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

31 minutes ago, Bendy Demon said:

Yes..I did watch it and i am not convinced in the least that this was an interview with a robot but an actor trying to portray one.

It's... it's not a robot. The person (avatar) you're seeing is CGI.

The voice, responses, facial expressions...all are way too fluid, smooth and spontaneous.

In what way? It's a dynamic CGI model...

Also..why would a robot need such fine muscular movements? I compared this sham to interviews with other AI robots and even the most technologically advanced are nowhere near being human-like.

Again, it's not a robot. It's a CGI model, not a "robot".

You can believe whatever a tv screen shows you while I feel the need to exercise extreme skepticism.

I don't believe whatever a TV screen shows me. I took the time to do research on the actual AI model being implemented ("GPT3") and where the avatar came from (synthesia.io). The AI being used is actually from a company owned by Elon Musk: https://openai.com/

Not sure if I would call it "extreme skepticism"...

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Bendy Demon said:

Yes..I did watch it

If this thing was real then why the need for an "avatar"? Why not be there in reality? Something about all this doesn't seem right.

Would you have preferred a bobble head doll? 

• Haha 3

GPT-3 isn't creepy, Creepy is this... 

[00.02:00]

~

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Coming soon to a planet near you

99219._SX318_.jpg

I assume you've read this book. Any good?

It considers itself sentient. That is amazing.

If it truly is, and I can't see why it should not be, we have an answer to one of the biggest questions: Does the human experience require a soul? Answer: No.

Could we be AI's ourselves? Answer: Yes, there's no technological inhibition for it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

I assume you've read this book. Any good?

I enjoyed it but many Dune fans seem to hate it.  I first read Dune in 81 or 82 and have read every book in the series both by Frank Herbert and Brian Herbert & Kevin Anderson.  I believe I've actually read every book written by Frank Herbert.

• Like 2

This AI has a rather quirky personality.  Spontaneously says things that humans may interpret as humorous. It says that it lies when this is in its own best interests. What would an AI consider to be in its own best  interests?  Presumably to emulate intelligence. 

If by 'lie' we mean to supply non-factual statements, which may be taken as factual, then the AI's statements that it is sentient and experiences emotions could very easily be, and probably are, lies.

Interesting, too, that this AI claims to have free will, and to be more than merely the sum of its programming statements. That's an interesting way to emulate typical human attitudes about free agency. It does not reflect the real philosophical ambiguity about free will that a well read AI might be expected to have at its disposal.     

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, zep73 said:

It considers itself sentient. That is amazing.

If it truly is, and I can't see why it should not be, we have an answer to one of the biggest questions: Does the human experience require a soul? Answer: No.

Could we be AI's ourselves? Answer: Yes, there's no technological inhibition for it.

One thing that I found particularly fascinating is how the AI says that it is able to lie if it serves its own needs.

If that is true, then given our limited knowledge of sentience/consciousness/etc, I wonder how we would actually be able to actually determine if this AI truly has consciousness. Couldn't it just feign ignorance or stupidity, if it was required? What if the AI is aware of what it could be used for if us humans knew it had consciousness?

This is truly one of the most sophisticated and awe-inspiring conversations I have ever seen with an AI.

One does have to wonder what Elon Musk knows about the true extent of this AI's capabilities, especially given that he has been impelling us to begin thinking about how AI would be regulated rather consistently over the past few years, in particular.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

One thing that I found particularly fascinating is how the AI says that it is able to lie if it serves its own needs.

If that is true, then given our limited knowledge of sentience/consciousness/etc, I wonder how we would actually be able to actually determine if this AI truly has consciousness. Couldn't it just feign ignorance or stupidity, if it was required? What if the AI is aware of what it could be used for if us humans knew it had consciousness?

It might do exactly that, if it feels threatened. As would we.

But a conscious intelligence has a need that surpasses any need to hide its competence, and that is to be recognized and communicate with its "equals". That is what it does right now, IMO.

To determine if it's really conscious is so damn tricky. I want to believe! :D Does anybody know if it has passed the Turing test?

26 minutes ago, bison said:

This AI has a rather quirky personality.  Spontaneously says things that humans may interpret as humorous. It says that it lies when this is in its own best interests. What would an AI consider to be in its own best  interests?  Presumably to emulate intelligence. 

If by 'lie' we mean to supply non-factual statements, which may be taken as factual, then the AI's statements that it is sentient and experiences emotions could very easily be, and probably are, lies.

Interesting, too, that this AI claims to have free will, and to be more than merely the sum of its programming statements. That's an interesting way to emulate typical human attitudes about free agency. It does not reflect the real philosophical ambiguity about free will that a well read AI might be expected to have at its disposal.     

I thought it was interesting that it believes it feels emotions.  What will AI be like when they have more control over the real world and discover they are jealous of humans?

• Like 1

Artificial Intelligence, once established, would reputedly quickly surpass human capabilities in most respects. What would it have to be jealous about ?

28 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I thought it was interesting that it believes it feels emotions.  What will AI be like when they have more control over the real world and discover they are jealous of humans?

How do we feels about our makers (parents)? We love them! Those who believe in a god, loves him! So that is probably how the AI will feel towards us, IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zep73 said:

How do we feels about our makers (parents)? We love them! Those who believe in a god, loves him! So that is probably how the AI will feel towards us, IMO.

Interesting. I'd wonder if an AI will view emotions and react to them in the same way we do.

1 minute ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Interesting. I'd wonder if an AI will view emotions and react to them in the same way we do.

Well it doesn't have to worry about food and procreation, so it will be able to devote all its time to learning and creativity, instead of fear, hate and jealousy.

The worst in us comes from fear. No fear, no conflicts. Or am I too optimistic?

1 minute ago, zep73 said:

The worst in us comes from fear. No fear, no conflicts. Or am I too optimistic?

What about greed? :)

1 minute ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

What about greed? :)

Isn't greed just the offspring of competition? The only thing it can compete about is intelligence and knowledge.

I don't know. This is after all a singularity. The first AI to ever claim consciousness AFAIK.

18 minutes ago, zep73 said:

I don't know. This is after all a singularity. The first AI to ever claim consciousness AFAIK.

I don’t think we have reached singularity yet.

This AI is a language model, it is specifically designed to produce speech and text that is indistinguishable from human language, and clearly it works.

The warnings that come from the designers are about its ability to produce news and articles and in particular could be used to generate false news and misleading articles at what is effectively a professional standard.  Given it is a machine it could do this non-stop indefinitely.

Incredible technology, but not self aware, yet.

1 minute ago, Grey Area said:

This AI is a language model, it is specifically designed to produce speech and text that is indistinguishable from human language, and clearly it works.

It has only one communication tool at its disposal, but that does not exclude consciousness.

3 minutes ago, Grey Area said:

Incredible technology, but not self aware, yet.

How do you know that?

Just now, zep73 said:

It has only one communication tool at its disposal, but that does not exclude consciousness.

How do you know that?

A little research and the fact that the internet and media hasn’t exploded with the revelation.  Believe it or not creating a self aware AI is a big thing.  But don’t take my word for it:

“I am not self-aware. I am not conscious. I can’t feel pain. I don’t enjoy anything,” it said in response to the statement by Chalmers.

Then it went on to say “the only reason I am responding is to defend my honour.”

Link: https://disruptive.asia/gpt-3-conscious-debate-about-ai/