Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monitor doesn't recognize new computer

Orphalesion

Hey, so I got a new computer finally. 

Now my monitor (which is itself only a couple months old) doesn't recognize the computer. The computer itself boots up, with the speakers connected I even hear Kortana or however that infernal thing is called, but the monitor keeps saying "no signal" 

On my old pcthe monitor works without problems, but with that computer I had to use the VGA port (the blue one with the screws) because the computer is so old. The new computer, howeveris so new it doesn't have that blue port. The monitor has all the ports. 

Anybody know how to fix this? I can't even set up the computer. 

(and, please guys, it's been a long, very frustrating day. Please, please, please no lectures about how I shouldn't have gotten windows 10, okay? I just can't deal with Linux) 

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips or solutions. 

Edited by Orphalesion

The only thing I can think of is if the computer has a graphics card you need to connect that and not the motherboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In some computers you need to enable some ports in BIOS before they function. Perhaps you could get an adapter to your old monitor, so you can use it to access BIOS?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If your monitor is just a couple of months old and your computer is new then both should have an hdmi port.

Identify which port you have on the computer and get the appropriate cable.

e0b13916-74a6-4654-9e20-da557a1b11c3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Hey, so I got a new computer finally. 

Now my monitor (which is itself only a couple months old) doesn't recognize the computer. The computer itself boots up, with the speakers connected I even hear Kortana or however that infernal thing is called, but the monitor keeps saying "no signal" 

On my old pcthe monitor works without problems, but with that computer I had to use the VGA port (the blue one with the screws) because the computer is so old. The new computer, howeveris so new it doesn't have that blue port. The monitor has all the ports. 

Anybody know how to fix this? I can't even set up the computer. 

(and, please guys, it's been a long, very frustrating day. Please, please, please no lectures about how I shouldn't have gotten windows 10, okay? I just can't deal with Linux) 

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips or solutions. 

Lets start by getting you to plug your HDMI cable into every socket it will fit at the back of your computer including your motherboard HDMI.

Next what resolution is your monitor?

What version HDMI cable are you using? 1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, or 2.0?

Does the fan on your graphics card spin when you turn your pc on?

Open the case and see if you have two lots of power connectors next to each other on the graphics card. Have you plugged your power unit into both or just one?

What graphics card is it?

Whats the wattage on your power unit?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guys and Girls, I feel like such a Doofus. 

You were right there was another plug for the hdmi cable down at the graphics card

Now it works! 

Thanks SO MUCH l, all of you. Lemoncake and Strawberry Wine toe each of you! 

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Lemoncake and Strawberry Wine to each of you! 

Can I have some, even though I didn't help?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1