Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Surrendering to GOD

Crazy Horse

1 minute ago, Crazy Horse said:

Yes, but maybe it goes even beyond this.

Like when one practices a more understanding, compassionate, kind hearted way of life, so much so that one becomes infused by these ideals, then maybe one could even let go of self control and abide peacefully in this present moment?

And perhaps it is at this point the surrender happens?

At that point it's habit. 

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You can't lose your ego, only deflate it. 

Well that remains to be seen.

Although, as far as I can tell, those saints, yogis, and bodhisattvas had zero ego.

This is something I shall have to realise for my, non egoic self..

40 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

So an agnostic is in complete harmony with GOD?

Depends on the tune really, and that depends on God... or the dance 

~

40 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Genuine question.

The answer is the question... 

As Ingenious as that sounds

~

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Well that remains to be seen.

Although, as far as I can tell, those saints, yogis, and bodhisattvas had zero ego.

This is something I shall have to realise for my, non egoic self..

I tend to view those individuals as having narcissistic tendencies.

31 minutes ago, razman said:

All i can say is "Careful what you wish for".

I desire the truth only..

27 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

I think regardless how you go about it, losing one's ego can be a positive personality trait 

I think one way to describe ego is, a selfish self-interest.

And yes, one can certainly lose it.

Perhaps this losing ones selfishness, and trusting to GOD, is a part of the surrender?

Edited by Crazy Horse

9 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Genuine question.

Hi Crazy Horse

Why would they care if there is no god for them that would be like trying to tune a guitar with no strings will it ever be in harmony.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

I hadn't realised that I was at war with GOD. 

My own ignorant attitudes, beliefs, perceptions and actions in general, are to be rooted-out, understood, and put behind me.

If you can explain what you meant, that would be good.

I think it meant seeing surrendering as giving in, rather than giving up.

Ie  Isee surrendering as surrendering (giving up)  the destructive/ negative aspects of self,  rather then giving in to the wishes of another

Even where no outside humans or gods are   involved, it is always good to check off the things we need to surrender, or give up, and those we need to grow and encourage in ourselves  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Yes, but maybe it goes even beyond this.

Like when one practices a more understanding, compassionate, kind hearted way of life, so much so that one becomes infused by these ideals, then maybe one could even let go of self control and abide peacefully in this present moment?

And perhaps it is at this point the surrender happens?

Kinda like a psychopath fighting to stop himself killing 

Surrender the need to kill and you  no longer have to fight to maintain control

True  also  for any form of addiction or need.  Surrender the need to gamble or drink/take drugs,  and the battle for control ceases to exist  

Surrender your anger, and you have no need to willfully control it  

One option taken by some, which is ultimately self  destructive, is to surrender the battle ,and give in to their desires,  emotional responses, biological drivers  etc  

19 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

I have been on a journey for many years now, trying to understand both myself, this world, GOD and creation, and with all this effort comes some success, yet, there is a real danger of trying to replace GOD, with my own knowledge, goals, ego, and yes wisdom and compassion. So although there is a genuine desire to help, and to give, and to serve etc, I think there is a risk of trying to, in a sense, replace GOD with my own self/intellect.

Therefore, a merging with GOD, through a total surrender to GODS will, seems to me to be the way forward.

The question is, how, how would one go about trying to do such a thing?

And, what would THAT feel like for the individual?

I am assuming that one would keep their personality etc!

Any ideas would be welcome.

Be willing to let go of whatever god you ascribe to, and be open to the moment your path will find you, 

• Like 3

On 2/2/2021 at 2:42 PM, XenoFish said:

At that point it's habit. 

Its more than a habit, it is who you become.

On 2/2/2021 at 2:53 PM, XenoFish said:

I tend to view those individuals as having narcissistic tendencies.

Why?

On 2/2/2021 at 11:58 PM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Crazy Horse

Why would they care if there is no god for them that would be like trying to tune a guitar with no strings will it ever be in harmony.:lol:

jmccr8

First of all, an agnostic is not a non believer, but someone who is open, perhaps open enough to try and tune that guitar, and find-out for themselves whether there is a beautiful harmony to be played or not.

And secondly, perhaps you could answer the question?

A person who is not at war with GOD, nor fighting for GOD, would not an agnostic fit that description?

On 2/3/2021 at 1:34 AM, Mr Walker said:

I think it meant seeing surrendering as giving in, rather than giving up.

Ie  Isee surrendering as surrendering (giving up)  the destructive/ negative aspects of self,  rather then giving in to the wishes of another

Even where no outside humans or gods are   involved, it is always good to check off the things we need to surrender, or give up, and those we need to grow and encourage in ourselves  

I am coming around, slowly, to the idea that although one might try different things, have certain hopes, and make certain plans, that when things go pear-shaped it is the will of GOD, and that to not sit for a moment, to not reflect upon a "negative" situation, and instead go rushing in with ones own ideas, then basically, this is the ego that needs to be checked, and it is here where the trust and the surrender takes place!

Or at least this is a part of it.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 1:42 AM, Mr Walker said:

Kinda like a psychopath fighting to stop himself killing 

Surrender the need to kill and you  no longer have to fight to maintain control

True  also  for any form of addiction or need.  Surrender the need to gamble or drink/take drugs,  and the battle for control ceases to exist  

Surrender your anger, and you have no need to willfully control it  

One option taken by some, which is ultimately self  destructive, is to surrender the battle ,and give in to their desires,  emotional responses, biological drivers  etc  

I think there has to be a moral and ethical foundation to all of this.

And free will, the ability to choose freely at any given moment.

Whether a psychopath of drug addict has that level of self control, eg the ability to not control, is very questionable, but I think I get your sentiments anyway!

Your "Surrender your anger" example is clearer for me. To surrender ones anger, is, perhaps, to stop feeding it. To be honest Mr Walker this is a massive question that deserves its own tread. Does a surrender in this particular instance mean a "peace deal" and contribute to a greater awareness all round? Its an interesting tangent to be sure..

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 3:38 AM, Sherapy said:

Be willing to let go of whatever god you ascribe to, and be open to the moment your path will find you, 

That's fair enough, but upon each path are obstacles to overcome, distraction to ignore, and choices to be made.

Finding ones pathway is only the beginning of this journey. Sticking to the straight and narrow is another thing altogether, and it is this that I am thinking about right now.

And just for the record, I don't really ascribe to any GOD in particular, more like a dharmic way of life. I just use the term GOD for ease of conversation, or something!!

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 8:51 AM, Crazy Horse said:

Just be you! :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

Its more than a habit, it is who you become.

Which becomes habit.

1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

Why?

Because it takes a lot of ego to think oneself holy, divine, or enlightened. 

Edited by XenoFish
Added link
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

First of all, an agnostic is not a non believer, but someone who is open, perhaps open enough to try and tune that guitar, and find-out for themselves whether there is a beautiful harmony to be played or not.

And secondly, perhaps you could answer the question?

A person who is not at war with GOD, nor fighting for GOD, would not an agnostic fit that description?

Hi Crazy Horse

I can only answer a one agnostic and cannot speak for all and neither can you, personally I cannot be at war or fight with someone that I do not know exists and so being in harmony with something I do know is a waste of effort so why would I, I don't.

jmccr8

• Like 2

On 2/2/2021 at 7:51 AM, Crazy Horse said:

I have been on a journey for many years now, trying to understand both myself, this world, GOD and creation, and with all this effort comes some success, yet, there is a real danger of trying to replace GOD, with my own knowledge, goals, ego, and yes wisdom and compassion. So although there is a genuine desire to help, and to give, and to serve etc, I think there is a risk of trying to, in a sense, replace GOD with my own self/intellect.

Therefore, a merging with GOD, through a total surrender to GODS will, seems to me to be the way forward.

The question is, how, how would one go about trying to do such a thing?

And, what would THAT feel like for the individual?

I am assuming that one would keep their personality etc!

Lets pretend God doesnt know what pleasure is.

So has created the world with you in it to show him. You job is to enjoy everything pleasurable to you. And while doing so hold in your mind the intention of doing it to show God what pleasure is about.

Thats how you serve God.

Edited by Cookie Monster
  • Like 1

As an agnostic, maybe I should keep my opinion to myself. But, I have read and studied the Bible a lot, mostly a long time ago. But still I remember a lot.

One verse that always struck me was: 

Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.”

So, compare that with this surrender thing.

So, come and let us reason together. That sounds like I can actually have a talk with God and he'll reason with me. So is it that, or do I just shut up and do as I'm told, or I get cast into the pit?

The Bible to me, always seemed full of contradictions.  

On 2/2/2021 at 9:07 AM, Crazy Horse said:

Haven't heard him complain yet.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Lets pretend God doesnt know what pleasure is.

So has created the world with you in it to show him. You job is to enjoy everything pleasurable to you. And while doing so hold in your mind the intention of doing it to show God what pleasure is about.

Thats how you serve God.

Proverbs 21:17

17 Whoever loves pleasure will be a poor man;
    he who loves wine and oil will not be rich.

However you wish to excuse hedonism is up to you. It's still hedonism. 
Edited by XenoFish

I believe the Jews have a saying that if you don't enjoy the precious life God has given you, then you are insulting Him.

• Thanks 1